Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-24-2022, 06:06 AM   #16
Matej101
Matej101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st generation)
I've looked at various reviews, shops, etc.

I don't think I'm comfortable with shelling out 11000+ for what's essentially a Chinese android tablet with an e-ink screen. The specs sound enticing, but I'm wary of the massive glass screen (and the battery). Also, in my experience, Android devices tend to slow down and get weird and finicky after 2-3 years. I've only seen 2-3 androids that still worked well 4 years down the line. I have done quite a lot of rooting and messing around with phones in the past, but that's not what I want from an e-reader. I just want something stable.

Maybe it's a matter of perception. Classic e-readers are slow right from the start, so maybe that's why I don't mind them being slow later. Phones start out blazing fast, but the bloat slowly creeps in. Android also drains the battery a lot more.

I looked at video comparisons of various e-readers displaying pdfs, and they are all awful.

Anyway, looks like one can get a used high end (regular LCD) tablet, AND a new small screen e-reader, for less than any 10.3" e-ink device. That way, I would get to have a small portable e-reader that can do pdfs, badly, in a pinch, and a big screen that is just for them. According to the reviews, the big screen onyx e-readers aren't that much better than regular tablets with their battery life, since the more powerful hardware starts to overtake the power savings from that e-ink screen.

Thanks to all of you for being patient with me, the first few posts were right
Matej101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:16 AM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej101 View Post
Anyway, looks like one can get a used high end (regular LCD) tablet, AND a new small screen e-reader, for less than any 10.3" e-ink device. That way, I would get to have a small portable e-reader that can do pdfs, badly, in a pinch, and a big screen that is just for them.
This is by far the most sensible approach, IMO, and not just because it's the one I took Budget in a decent protective case for both of them, and don't jam them into poorly packed bags, leave them lying about in a hot car, or out in the freezing cold.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #18
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
FWIW, I do ok with science textbooks using Koreader to split them up on reading for a smaller. Each 'page' of the textbook turns into 4 'pages' on the ereader, as far as I can tell, and otherwise things are where they should be. But my textbooks don't have many diagrams.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #19
brigader
Enthusiast
brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Max,irex 800s
I'm still using my onyx boox max 1, which I use for PDF reading IT tech books in PDF and I still love it.... I do however want to upgrade to the latest one, but was waiting for a colour version. (Albeit basic colours ;-) If you really want to read PDF I would recommend them, even though they are expensive for what they are. And the latest ones are capable of running a lot more apps.... I may be tempted to buy the latest version... But for now my original boox still rocks.. But do need to find a new stylus as if I lose that then the boox wont work as it was not touch screen. Good luck in choosing...
brigader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #20
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigader View Post
I'm still using my onyx boox max 1, which I use for PDF reading IT tech books in PDF and I still love it.... I do however want to upgrade to the latest one, but was waiting for a colour version. (Albeit basic colours ;-) If you really want to read PDF I would recommend them, even though they are expensive for what they are. And the latest ones are capable of running a lot more apps.... I may be tempted to buy the latest version... But for now my original boox still rocks.. But do need to find a new stylus as if I lose that then the boox wont work as it was not touch screen. Good luck in choosing...

No battery issues or other lifespan related problems?
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #21
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigader View Post
I'm not sure upgrading would make for a better experience. The screen on the Lumi 1 made the text fuzzy, so I sent it back. The Lumi 2 has a higher contrast screen but fingerprint and glare issues.

There just doesn't seem to be a good alternative at the moment..
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:08 AM   #22
Hängmattan
Hängmattan began at the beginning.

Device: Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I have the Note Air and am very happy with it.
The main difference to the Note Air 2 is the writing foil, which increases writing comfort but reduces the clarity and contrast of the screen.
There is no problem reading pdfs in landscape format.
Have you had the opportunity to make a side-by-side comparison where the difference in contrast appears obvious?

I just bought an air 2 and I'm pretty disappointed of its screen clarity, so maybe I'll return it and go for the air.

Last edited by Hängmattan; 02-10-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Hängmattan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocketbook, reccomendation