Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
E-books for the French (Canadian) market

Sony teams up with Music/bookseller Archambault, a Québecor Média Inc. subsidiary, to create www.Jelis.ca, an online store for French eBooks.

Sony has now started selling their eBook readers in Québec. eBooks at www.Jelis.ca are initially expected to have the same prices as pBooks.

Reported in the by Roberto Rocha, Canwest News Service

http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast....article/783724

Quote:
Jelis.ca boasts being the first francophone e-book store in North America. France-based retailer Fnac has been selling e-books for nearly a year, also in partnership with the Sony Reader.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
It's great to see Sony "playing nice" and allowing these partnerships to floursih in places which not too long ago were IGNORED by Sony.

I've been on the receiving end when Sony just doesn't want to stay in a market (Sony Clie PDA) and it was usually their way or the highway..

Kudos to Sony for having the vision that the end-users DO matter!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should also have mentioned that there are 20,000 French eBook titles at www.Jelis.ca and that they are selling the Sony PRS-300 and PRS-600 models at the Archambault site.* (All models/colours in-stock, free shipping**)

* French site
** I'm assuming, but not sure, that free shipping is within Canada.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quite overpriced, just like the offrer in france. What a shame.

Try again people !

Quote:
Sony has now started selling their eBook readers in Québec. eBooks at www.Jelis.ca are initially expected to have the same prices as pBooks.
They should have the same price than pocket books, not hardbacks !

Last edited by EowynCarter; 09-08-2009 at 08:32 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
I'm glad they made that move, the market in Québec really deserves to be developed. Now if only another company joined the race (Renaud Bray, maybe) and more devices were sold, we might get a competition that would lower the prices.

Good find WDE!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Truen, it's a start. But it still need to be improved before it can be used.
I mean, there is a book at 17 euros, it's a few year old and the pocket book is 6E...
Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Truen, it's a start. But it still need to be improved before it can be used.
I mean, there is a book at 17 euros, it's a few year old and the pocket book is 6E...
The prices are quoted in CA$. (If you have already taken this into account for your calculations, I apologize.)

Currently 17.00 CA$ = 11€. Still expensive, I agree.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
The prices are quoted in CA$. (If you have already taken this into account for your calculations, I apologize.)

Currently 17.00 CA$ = 11€. Still expensive, I agree.
Yepa, i did the conversion I needed prices in euros.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's nice that they're starting but I was browsing the catalog yesterday and was disappointed. I compared the prices with Renaud-Bray's prices for printed copies. Some of them were only 2$ cheaper at 27$ instead of 29$ for the printed one. This will have a negative effect on their sales, there's no reason to sell it the same price when they don't incur the same costs for printing and distributing. Many people won't buy them because they will feel they're being ripped

Then there's a problem with the offer. Most writers from Quebec don't publish eBook versions yet, last week I saw a representative of Jelis.ca on TV who was saying they're working on convincing local writers to make the jump. In the meantime most of the offer is from France.

And unfortunately, best sellers from big american writers like Stephen King or Robert Ludlum aren't available in french ebooks.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
I compared the prices with Renaud-Bray's prices for printed copies. Some of them were only 2$ cheaper at 27$ instead of 29$ for the printed one. This will have a negative effect on their sales, there's no reason to sell it the same price when they don't incur the same costs for printing and distributing. Many people won't buy them because they will feel they're being ripped
They're trying to position themselves for when ebooks become mainstream. For now, they probably won't make any money, but that doesn't matter since they're owned by a media giant.

Last edited by balok; 09-08-2009 at 02:40 PM.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I just compared their price for Le voyage d'hiver by Amélie Nothomb, and it's roughly the same as fnac.com (slightly lower, but I imagine that VAT or sales tax is lower in Canada than in France). Outrageous, that is But, more players is always a good thing, at some point competition should bring the prices down - I hope!

I wonder if they will allow Europeans to buy? And by the way, does fnac.com sell to non-European buyers?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
I found some books for young readers like what I want to buy, but is it possible to buy it through paypal?
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Une chose que je viens de remarquer et qui ne me plait pas trop c'est que les informations sur les livres n'indiquent pas le nombre de pages. J'ai eu cette semaine une déception sur Mobipocket après avoir acheté un livre pour me rendre compte que je l'ai payé cher pour seulement 75 pages.

Les boutiques en ligne de livres électroniques devraient inclure cette information. Avant de payer 25$ pour un livre on devrait avoir une idée du temps de lecture qu'il nous procurera.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
I don't really understand the message above so anyone could translate it for everyone? Thanks.
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
EricGagne
Connoisseur

Ooopppss ! Sorry, I didn't realize I posted in French in an English forum.

What I said is one thing I noticed and don't like is that informations about the books don't include the number of pages.

Just 2 days ago I bought a book on Mobipocket only to realize after that I paid way too much for a book of only 75 pages.

I think ebook stores should include that information, I think it's reasonable to know how much reading time a book will give you before paying 25$ for it.

Everyone who buys ebooks online should complain to their stores if the number of pages isn't specified.