I will produce ePub when non-Sony devices support ePub 6 11.32%
I will produce ePub if Sony stops supporting LRF 3 5.66%
I do not plan on ever supporting ePub 4 7.55%
I need better tools to support ePub 15 28.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #61
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I agree with llasram, once the size limit is raised a little higher, this becomes effectively a non-issue. Look at it this way, there has to be *some* size limit, since support for CSS means that the full HTML file ahs to be parsed. The size limit will grow inevitably with time until it becomes a non-issue. In the meantime, store your epub books with .zip extensions in calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #62
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
So unfortunately EPUB / the OCF needs some sort of arbitrary limit on the size of markup streams. It's the simplest solution to the problem without ditching the entire OCF and creating a completely different container format from scratch. I'm hoping that such an explicit -- if yes, somewhat higher -- arbitrary limit will eventually become part of the specification itself.
This is like line-length limits in the Fortran programming language. In the specification there are limits to the number of characters in each line and the number of "continuation lines" that can be used. There is, as far as I know, no real reason for these limitations other than it is not sensible to demand complying compilers to support unlimited number of characters per line. Each (or at least some) compiler must have a limit somewhere, and rather than having each compiler setting a limit by itself, it was preferable to put a limit in the specification, something that every compiler must support. Then it is up to each compiler to make it possible to use longer lines, but users should not expect this to work on every compiler.

Enough of off-topic. It's true that there should be a limit on what must be supported, there should be a minimum file size, number of styles, nesting level, etc. that must be supported by ePUB readers.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #63
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
So 10 people here are producing epubs but not LRFs and another 9 are producing both. I find that amazing given that we have almost none in our library. And I still don't think I understand why, yet. There seems to be very few people here who read on an Apple device. Pardon me for my persistent ignorance.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #64
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
So 10 people here are producing epubs but not LRFs and another 9 are producing both. I find that amazing given that we have almost none in our library. And I still don't think I understand why, yet. There seems to be very few people here who read on an Apple device. Pardon me for my persistent ignorance.
people have only recently started producing epub files, so of course there are fewer of them than other formats. however there are currently 75 epub files uploaded. they are not very visible, as they are still in the "miscellaneous" forum with other formats, but soon there will be a dedicated epub forum. i prefer epub format to any other, myself.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #65
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
So 10 people here are producing epubs but not LRFs and another 9 are producing both. I find that amazing given that we have almost none in our library.
Well... producing epubs does not necessarily mean uploading them here
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #66
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Well... producing epubs does not necessarily mean uploading them here
right, and there's also that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #67
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
The above statement in bold holds mostly true for only Sony-PRS-505/700 users and I would have wished this limitation did not exist.
The 300K limitation is not mostly true of Sony at all. It is always true of any ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) implementation, of which Sony happens to be one. Let's place the blame where it belongs.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote