Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Stuck In Rut? What Should I Read?
Persuasion by Jane Austen 5 11.36%
Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass 3 6.82%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 12 27.27%
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa 3 6.82%
Blood Song by Cat Adams 1 2.27%
The Vampire's Assistant and Other Tales from the Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan 3 6.82%
The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny 18 40.91%
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd 4 9.09%
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz 5 11.36%
Survival by Julie E. Czerneda 1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
The only book on your list I've read is Shadow Blade. I first tried reading it a year ago, and didn't get further than the first chapter and then put it aside. When it popped up as monthly read in a book-club, I decided to try again. I found it entertaining.

The Great Book of Amber and Survival looks interesting too. I just read about the Amber books, but I hadn't heard about Julie E. Czerneda before. More books to add to my maybe-to-read list... Thanks
You are most welcome! Always happy to pass on good recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With Amber, you could do what I am doing. I am reading the Word & Void series by Terry Brooks. But instead of reading all three in a row, I am reading a book in between. That works so I don't get in a rut with the series.
Yeah. I plan to do something like that, except I'll probably take a break every few books (maybe three or four) instead of every book.

I tend to get tunnel vision with series (reading one right after the other) and I find that I lose steam around book 8 or 9, so breaking it into smaller chunks should help greatly. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, this will be my "At home only book", so reading something else when I'm out should help as well.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #32
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I voted for Amber although AFAIK it is not available in ebook form. Anyone know any different?
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
I voted for Amber although AFAIK it is not available in ebook form. Anyone know any different?
No, they're not; at least not on Amazon.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Amber series is not available as eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict

Although the poll doesn't close until tomorrow evening, it looks like I'll definitely be reading The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny.

So the final results will show whether or not A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute keeps the lead as my secondary, taking a break or I'm out of the house selection.
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #36
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I voted A Town Like Alice. I read it when I was 10, and then again as an adult. I picked it because it is a very easy read and very easy to get into. In my mind the things you need when you want to plunge back

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #37
Nyssa
Series Addict

Remember when I said I'd have ALL day to read today? Well, dropped the kids to school and bus stop, then came home to find unfolded laundry all over my living room!
Yay. [/sarcasm]
The electricians were already here when I got back, so we're already without power. Will try to resist using my phone ... umm ... anymore, that is.

Snuck in a few pages of Amber last night... Looks very interesting! Something about those cards sounds familiar, but I have no idea as to why.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #38
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

I read this two years ago, and it was one of my favorite books of the year. My husband doesn't read a lot of novels, but I encouraged him to read it, and he loved it as well.

There are a lot of Spanish phrases and a lot of geeky references. Here is a great website I found (sadly, after I had finished the book) which translates and explains a lot of these references:

http://www.annotated-oscar-wao.com/index.html
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #39
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

I read this two years ago, and it was one of my favorite books of the year. My husband doesn't read a lot of novels, but I encouraged him to read it, and he loved it as well.

There are a lot of Spanish phrases and a lot of geeky references. Here is a great website I found (sadly, after I had finished the book) which translates and explains a lot of these references:

http://www.annotated-oscar-wao.com/index.html
Thank you!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #40
Nyssa
Series Addict

Unhappy **Sigh**

Well, the electricity is back on! Yay! But today was not what it was supposed to be. For reasons I will never understand, my mom took "I'm so happy I have today off; I'm going to sit and read as much as I can." to mean "Nyssa is doing nothing of importance so I'm going to demand her attention all day long, conveniently ignoring the book that was sitting on her lap, except when the electrician or home inspector needs her attention".

I know, I know, she's my mom and I shouldn't complain..but I was really looking forward to my day off.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #41
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Well, the electricity is back on! Yay! But today was not what it was supposed to be. For reasons I will never understand, my mom took "I'm so happy I have today off; I'm going to sit and read as much as I can." to mean "Nyssa is doing nothing of importance so I'm going to demand her attention all day long, conveniently ignoring the book that was sitting on her lap, except when the electrician or home inspector needs her attention".

I know, I know, she's my mom and I shouldn't complain..but I was really looking forward to my day off.
I say the same thing about my husband sometimes
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #42
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I say the same thing about my husband sometimes
My husband was smart and kept himself as busy as possible... away from both me and my mom.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #43
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Nyssa, I'm glad your electricity is back on, but so sorry you were not able to relax and enjoy your book time. I have the same problem when my mom calls on my days off. I have learned that if I answer to the "What are you doing today?" with "I'm going to read," or "I'm going to watch a movie," that it somehow translates to "I'm not going to be doing anything, as I have all this free time and I need something to do."

I've learned to structure my answers to include chores/errands that consume a lot of time..
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Nyssa, I'm glad your electricity is back on, but so sorry you were not able to relax and enjoy your book time. I have the same problem when my mom calls on my days off. I have learned that if I answer to the "What are you doing today?" with "I'm going to read," or "I'm going to watch a movie," that it somehow translates to "I'm not going to be doing anything, as I have all this free time and I need something to do."

I've learned to structure my answers to include chores/errands that consume a lot of time..
My mom knows better. She know if I tell her I am busy, I am. She also knows if she really does need me, I'll be there for he when I can. My mom doesn't bother me. We get along very well.

For example, if my mother asks us to go over on a Sunday and my wife wants to just chill for the day, my mom will not push. She knows better.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Oh and Nyssa, you made one tiny mistake in your poll. Well, not actually tiny, rather a big gaping mistake. You didn't put up that you have the Wool Omnibus yet to read. You see, if you had, it would have won hands down vs all the other choices. So do yourself a favor and forget the poll and read the Wool Omnibus and then you can pay attention to the poll afterwards.