Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
timmins
eBook Obsessive
timmins began at the beginning.

Device: tc1100, q1, hw6945, h6315, x3i
Kindle and A4/Letter sized PDF

The number one feature in my quest for an eInk reader is always, "will it flow my library of technical books that are sized A4/Letter?" I searched the forum but didn't find any threads that discussed this with regards to the Kindle.

So, now that Amazon has announced the Kindle and they mention emailing PDFs to Amazon does this mean they will reflow A4 and letter sized books to display on the Kindle? As I hold out from buying the expensive iLiad, I wonder if the Kindle is the answer to my prayers.
timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"ye can 'nae break the laws 'o physics, cap'n" as someone once said

The Kindle isn't going to do any better at displaying PDFs on a small screen than other other device does. Just can't be done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
timmins
eBook Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"ye can 'nae break the laws 'o physics, cap'n" as someone once said

The Kindle isn't going to do any better at displaying PDFs on a small screen than other other device does. Just can't be done.
If the PDF is reflowed, why wouldn't it display any better? The reason letter PDFs fail on such devices as the Sony Reader is because margins and text are set. Once the content is reflowed and converted into a format that respects the device's screen I fail to see how it can't be done.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Basically, the Amazon conversion service will be similar to what the Mobipocket software currently does. Don't expect this service to keep your formatting. It'll reflow but it won't look nearly as good.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I don't recall seeing in the Amazon info that PDFs could be sent for conversion - only DOCs, TXT, and HTML. Could you please point to the source of this info? Sorry if I missed it. Also, I see some comments about what this will mean for readability. If a test has been done with a Kindle, could you please point to the source? I am skeptical about some of the assumptions that are being made.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmins View Post
If the PDF is reflowed, why wouldn't it display any better? The reason letter PDFs fail on such devices as the Sony Reader is because margins and text are set. Once the content is reflowed and converted into a format that respects the device's screen I fail to see how it can't be done.
IF it's flowed then yes, I agree, but how many PDFs are marked for reflow? I have a number of PDF programming books, and I don't believe that any of them are. I'm guessing it's textbooks you're thinking about, is it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
afiggatt
afiggatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmins View Post
The number one feature in my quest for an eInk reader is always, "will it flow my library of technical books that are sized A4/Letter?" I searched the forum but didn't find any threads that discussed this with regards to the Kindle.
I think for readable PDF and technical books, we need someone to come out with a reader using the 9.7" EInk display screen or even a larger display screen. EInk has 5", 6", 8", 9.7" displays. Other than the Iliad which is using a customized EInk screen, I have not seen any reports of other mass market 8" readers. Wonder if EInk has sold the 9.7" display to anyone other than in single development kit quantities?

I gather from the reports on the current prices for the 6" EInk display and what the Iliad goes for, that a reader/document viewer based on the 9.7" EInk screen would be rather expensive at this time. Maybe in another year or two, if the costs for the EInk technology drop and the image quality improves, we will see full notebook sized reader/notepad devices on the market for PDF files, technical documents, and textbooks. I know if someone came out with a reader/news-reader/notepad using a 9.7" EInk type display for, say $200-$300, I would be all over it.
afiggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
timmins
eBook Obsessive

vivaldirules:

It might be my misinterpretation but PDF are to be emailed to Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...40600&#convert

Converting PDF Files
PDF conversion is experimental. The experimental category represents the features we are working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. You can email your PDFs wirelessly to your Kindle. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex PDF files might not format correctly on your Kindle.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
timmins
eBook Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
IF it's flowed then yes, I agree, but how many PDFs are marked for reflow? I have a number of PDF programming books, and I don't believe that any of them are. I'm guessing it's textbooks you're thinking about, is it?
Valid point. My intention is to carry along all of my technical books in PDF format. It would be a miracle to get a publisher to change formats so that they begin catering to the available eInk readers.

One can wish, right?