Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Bluedot
Bluedot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
How to convert “” properly ?

This must be a common problem but I can't find anything here. I've got an html text that has “” for speech quotes, however when I use Calibre to convert to epub all of those charaters got stripped. How can they be converted properly ? I've tried checking Unsmarten Punctuations but that didn't work. Using Calibre 0.8.23.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedot View Post
This must be a common problem but I can't find anything here. I've got an html text that has “” for speech quotes, however when I use Calibre to convert to epub all of those charaters got stripped. How can they be converted properly ? I've tried checking Unsmarten Punctuations but that didn't work. Using Calibre 0.8.23.
I had a similar problem once. I copied the text to an rtf file in wordpad, and used that rtf file as the source for conversion. For some reason it didn't work if I created the rtf file using word.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Bluedot

I opened the html source in Notepad++ and search and replace those characters to ". It's really weird. Calibre seems to ignore them completely, you couldn't even search&replace them. There must be a away to fix this as I can imagine that there are other characters that are missed ? Speech quotes are easy to notice when missing.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Need an example to test - mine convert correctly. Might have an incorrect doctype or something.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
There may be a character encoding issue. Open the original file in Notepad++ and go to the Encoding menu. Try "Encode in UTF-8 without BOM". Can you attach or upload the document in question?
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....r-smart-quotes
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedot View Post
I've got an html text that has “” for speech quotes, however when I use Calibre to convert to epub all of those charaters got stripped.
Most likely they actually got stripped when adding the html to calibre. Follow the link user_none pointed you to. After changing the encoding in the HTML to ZIP File type plugin you will have to re-add the html to calibre. It may take more than one attempt to get it right.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Bluedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I haven't seen this bit before, will give it go next time. It's probably because the html has mixed English and Chinese characters. Thanks.