Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle WiFi 3 AND Sony PRS 900

I used to read on the Sony PRS 900. Now my wife uses that and I use a Kindle WiFi 3. She reads books I had bought in the past from Sony and buys new books from the Sony Bookstore.

I buy my books from Amazon now and we are both satisfied. There is really no need to mix the protected formats.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I used to read on the Sony PRS 900. Now my wife uses that and I use a Kindle WiFi 3. She reads books I had bought in the past from Sony and buys new books from the Sony Bookstore.

I buy my books from Amazon now and we are both satisfied. There is really no need to mix the protected formats.
If you can afford two e-readers that is true. If you are someone whose e-reader broke and you had the meny for one e-reader you have to deal with some different issues.

If you had a Sony that broke and you are strapped for cash, then the K3 looks mighty tempting. It is a good reader that is less expensive then the Sony 650. You could look at a 350 but if you prefer the 6 inch screen and are really strapped for cash, the $139 Kindle WIFI looks good.

Alternativly the cash strapped individual could get a Nook or Kobo and not have to worry about converstion either and would then be able to borrow books more easily from the library then they would with a Kindle.

I guess my point is that two e-readers is not always a possibility for some folks.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I switched from Sony 505 to DXG, so I can't comment on size. Also, I only use it to read books, for leisure, nothing else.

The Kindle is a better reader IMO. Clearer and faster. Better support and aftercare too.

As to converting non-DRM epub to mobi, just load then into Calibre and do a batch convert. Almost all will be fine - oh sure, you might be able to polish and tweak them, but the simple convert will do to read them.

The only thing I miss from the Sony is being able to manage it on my PC.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
I know I can convert them to mobi format if I get the K3 but it's still extra time and effort, but it's okay I'll get over it.
You can import them into Calibre and convert all of them at once. May take a while depending on how many you have (and the power of your computer), but you just start the process and walk away.

I love the K3. The page turn buttons are right where I put my hands while reading; it's super thin and light. How it compares to the Sony in form, only you can decide; but I highly recommend giving the K3 a try.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
Lt. Brannigan
Enthusiast
Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS350, Kindle Wi-Fi.
Personally I am very happy with my PRS350, it is everything I was looking in an e-reader. The lack of Wi-Fi connectivity was no big deal to me as I live on the edge of town, where I am lucky to have high speed internet.

Unless you have poor eyesight, I heartily recommend the PRS350.
Lt. Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #21
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
For me wifi is a must. It's so nice to have Calibre deliver my feeds automatically to my K3. I can also use the Kindle's web browser and log into the Caliber server on my PC and download books from my Calibre library. Plus, Amazon has a decent selection of newspapers, magazines, and blogs that can delivered directly to the Kindle. Most cost, some more than others, but it's content that is frequently updated and sent automatically.

If the 650 had wifi and a web browser then it would be a darn good choice (I have the 650 and the lack of wifi is a huge negative, IMO). Sony makes very nice products.

Also, Amazon's CS is the best. Far more responsive than most any other company I've ever dealt with.

Converting ePub to mobi/azw is a piece of cake, even those with DRM. Most convert well and since you can covert groups of books you can highlight all the books, start converting and go do something else.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post
Unless you have poor eyesight, I heartily recommend the PRS350.
I am shortsighted and love the XSfont when reading ePub format. It is perfect for me.

And I will never understand that "I wanna have wifi" thing as my reader holds up to 1200 books and in normal life you are at least twice a day next to a computer. Heck, there are computers everywhere: at home, workplace, there are even coffeeplaces that have computers ready... As long as you are not going on an expedition to Antarctica I don't see the need for wifi and even then you'd have the 1200 book on board. So, please, give me a break.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I am shortsighted and love the XSfont when reading ePub format. It is perfect for me.

And I will never understand that "I wanna have wifi" thing as my reader holds up to 1200 books and in normal life you are at least twice a day next to a computer. Heck, there are computers everywhere: at home, workplace, there are even coffeeplaces that have computers ready... As long as you are not going on an expedition to Antarctica I don't see the need for wifi and even then you'd have the 1200 book on board. So, please, give me a break.
You don't get WiFi and I don;t get the touchscreen love. Different strokes for different folks.

I was sitting in an airport and I finished Robert Jordan's first book. I had not purchased the second book because I wanted to see if enjoyed the first book. I did. I was getting ready to board a plane and sit on it for 16 hours. I turned on my 3G access and downloaded the next two books in the series. I finished those two books. The fourth one was not available yet, they were releasing one a month. On the way home I was sitting in the same airport. I knew that the fourth book was now available, month changed, so I turned on my 3G and bought the fourth book.

I had 300 other books on my reader but I was enjoying that particular series and wanted to read the available books. I loved being able to buy them when I wanted them, download them without having to pull out my netbook or finding a computer to sideload them, and being able to read them a minute after I decided to buy them.

To me that is no different then the person who is at the airport, carrying several books with them, and buys a book that looks interesting that the airport bookstore.

I fail to see the need for a touchscreen. My little joystick is easy to use, takes no time, and does the job perfectly. Heck, I was never put out using the rollarball on the K1. Touchscreens tend to annoy me. I find the touchscreen love for the Sonys to be way over hyped.

So I will take 3G/WiFi anyday and twice on Tuesdays over a touchscreen. A Sony is not the reader for me. In my mind you are paying a premium for a device with an unneccessary touchscreen and no 3G/WiFi connectivity.

That works for you and you don't like the WiFi so the Sony is perfect for you. I try not to disparge the love of a touchscreen, please do not disparage my love of the 3G/WiFi.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #24
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post

I've already told this story, but you are new and there are a bunch of other new people so it bears repeating. I was in Mexico this summer to help my mother in law settle my father in law's estate. she was picking me up at a bus station in a city she had not been in. I had put the international plan on my cell phone, but it was not working. she was quite late, I had been traveling for over 20 hours, was exhausted and quite concerned. I booted up my kindle, got on my email account and emailed 3 people that I was pretty sure were at their computers right then. I explained the situation, gave her phone numbers and requested immediate assistance. within 15 minutes I saw my MIL walking towards the building talking to my son on her cell phone. not many other devices can do that!

additionally, and this is one of the main reasons I got the Kindle, I do a lot of camping for extended periods of time, as well as teach skiing which means I might be staying on the mountain for 3 or four days at a time. having the flexibility of having the Kindle that I can order anything I want, any time I want is wonderful. there are also numerous boaters and long term RVers that would thouroughly enjoy this feature
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I gotta have wifi but the touchscreen is optional. The ability to have a news feed updated throughout the day is great. It keeps me *away* from the computer which can be a time hog.

We all have different priorities.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I am very favorably impressed with the Sony products except from a value perspective... and the lack of wi-fi on the lower models. But I would love to have one in addition to (but not in place of) my K3.

I have yet to side-load an ebook. Thus far, I import my ebooks into calibre and use calibre to convert and email to my K3 or my daughter's K3 all in one operation. Of course I have wi-fi most everywhere I go. I agonized over 3G or not and decided not. I have yet to miss it. But I can see where it could be useful.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post

I have yet to side-load an ebook. Thus far, I import my ebooks into calibre and use calibre to convert and email to my K3 or my daughter's K3 all in one operation. Of course I have wi-fi most everywhere I go. I agonized over 3G or not and decided not. I have yet to miss it. But I can see where it could be useful.
speedlever is that done my making the converted book in calibre an attachment to the email, which you then open on the K3?
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am one of those people who like both wireless and touchscreen. That's why I have the Sony Daily Edition that has both since it meets my needs. The touchscreen isn't a gimmick to me. I like being able to doubletap words for lookups and swipe my fingers to turn pages and make highlights. I also love having wireless to access Wikipedia and the Internet. The access to buy books is not as important to me. I am also one of those people who has both the Kindle and Sony. Ironically I purchase most of my books for my Kindle through the Amazon website rather than through shopping on the device. I like that they are then wirelessly delivered. I also like that my Kindle has an email address. I wish my Sony had those same features. I guess I'm just saying that I understand why people have different perspectives, and I bought what meets my preferences.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #29
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3
speedlever is that done my making the converted book in calibre an attachment to the email, which you then open on the K3?
calibre emails it and the file shows up on the K3 home screen.

I think this screenshot from calibre will answer your question:

speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #30
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
thanks -- that is pretty slick!
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, prs 650, sony