Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
emily08
emily08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-650
Help please downloading books 650

Please could somebody help me? I bought a 650 yesterday and spend about 7 hours trying to work out how to download books, yes i'm a bit dim! I have installed the sony software and Adobe. I finally managed to download some free books from the sony website, then decided to buy a book from WHS which I cannot download, every time I click download, the screen just refreshes itself. Also is there any way of buying books from Amazon as there doesn't seem as much choice at WHS and Waterstones?

Thank you in advance
emily08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
I don't know anything about the WHS store so I can't help you there.

However, Amazon sells almost all their files as drm protected mobi files. They aren't compatible with the Sony without a bit of work. I would recommend focusing on buying from other sources that sell in Sony compatible formats. Direct from publishers isn't a bad choice.
For Example:
http://www.penguin.co.uk/
http://weightlessbooks.com/

Your best bets at most stores are epub, pdf, and html formats.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
You could also try smashwords.com for free and low priced books and download calibre and use that to download non-drm protected books since it acknowledges the reader. I think you can buy borders books and download them as well.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
emily08

Thanks for your help, i'll have a look at those sites.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
When you attempted to purchase a book from WHS, were you using the Sony software to connect to their online store or were you going through a normal web browser?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
emily08

I tried to do it both ways and when I click download the screen just refreshes itself
Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily08 View Post
Please could somebody help me?
Emily, Visit the Calibre Board and learn about Calibre which might serve you well.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote