Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Plus, after all of that, only the S5 can keep a constant flow of text messages and telephone calls coming and going between my great grandkids and me. Neither the PW nor HDX can do that.
But I've got that simply by reading on the Kindle/Nook/Sony and carrying my cell phone in my pocket. The idea of having "a constant flow of text messages" while I'm trying to read is not much of a sale's "feature" for me. But, as another poster mentioned, to each their own.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #47
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Re-read the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is rather dishonest -- now your results are completely arbitrary and say nothing about the devices and everything about what cases you happen to use.

That doesn't mean you have to stop using the case just because you didn't factor them in when weighing the device specs.
Here is the first part of my prior post with the measurements:

"I took out my postage scale and ruler to compare specs between the Samsung Galaxy S5 2014, the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2013 and the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 2013 and here they are (covers included):"
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:09 AM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here is the first part of my prior post with the measurements:

"I took out my postage scale and ruler to compare specs between the Samsung Galaxy S5 2014, the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2013 and the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 2013 and here they are (covers included):"
This argument doesn't mean a lot to me. The leather covers on my eReaders make them feel more like I'm holding a book, so I don't mind the extra weight. Without covers, a Kindle 4 (non-touch) or Sony T2 weigh about 170 grams, a Galaxy S5 weighs 145 grams. So, a little less than an ounce difference. A Paperwhite is about an ounce heavier than the T2 or K4 -- so a couple ounces heavier than the S5. For a couple ounces you get a bigger screen and a device designed specifically for reading. And a lot longer battery life. But, again, whatever works best for you. I can also see the argument for carrying one device, instead of two (assuming you use a cell phone, most now do). Of course, there is also the big cost difference.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #49
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

eReaders not usable without covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
This argument doesn't mean a lot to me. The leather covers on my eReaders make them feel more like I'm holding a book, so I don't mind the extra weight. Without covers, a Kindle 4 (non-touch) or Sony T2 weigh about 170 grams, a Galaxy S5 weighs 145 grams. So, a little less than an ounce difference. A Paperwhite is about an ounce heavier than the T2 or K4 -- so a couple ounces heavier than the S5. For a couple ounces you get a bigger screen and a device designed specifically for reading. And a lot longer battery life. But, again, whatever works best for you. I can also see the argument for carrying one device, instead of two (assuming you use a cell phone, most now do). Of course, there is also the big cost difference.
Its simply not practical to use the PW or HDX without their covers. Thus, those covers must be included when measuring portability (weight, length and width). The advantage of the S5 is that a Folio cover is available which replaces the OEM back cover (saving weight) and supplies a front, flip cover with a small window to use the camera when folded over to protect the camera lens and work and / or read on the front screen. Neither the PW nor the HDX has a similar cover to replace part of the OEM to save weight. Thus, those latter two with covers are significantly HEAVIER than the S5.

Another advantage of the S5 which I have not mentioned previously is that the battery can be replaced by lifting the back cover. Thus, on a long trip one could carry 2 or 3 extra batteries for a longer battery use than the PW or HDX. The latter two do not have replaceable batteries.

For short reading sessions at HOME the PW (in bright light) and the HDX (in dull light) are best. For long reading sessions or those away from home nothing beats the S5. If one wants background music, the PW just will not do. If I want to have messaging and calling always nearby, then only the S5 will do. For one hour Bible studies with only a chair available, the S5 is best. For one hour Bible studies with a table available, the HDX is best. The AcroBible App (which I use) only runs on the HDX and S5. If I want to play Shredder Chess App, then only the S5 will run it. If I want to manage my many Grace Internet radios, then only the HDX will handle it.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-26-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #50
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Nothing in your statement makes me want to run out and replace either my kindle or my S3. I read a lot out and at home and my Kindle touch works perfectly fine for that and I always have calling and messaging nearby has my phone is always in my pocket or next to me. if I want to go online I use my laptop.

For me its the best tool for the job, could I cut a tree down with my Leatherman, probably but why would I want to when I have a saw.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #51
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
I've had a Samsung Galaxy S5 now for one week since its release. Now I hardly ever look at my two Paperwhites and my two Fires. Amazon limits us to 6 devices for eBooks and I will soon have to unregister some of those old devices and give them away.

The screen uses a different technology than Amazon or Apple and is super bright and super clear. The Kindle for Samsung app has a font much wider and sharper than any of the Kindle fonts.

The screen is also much larger than any iPhones.

I had to carry any of my Kindles in my wife's pocketbook. I can carry the new S5 in my pants pocket and it is so much lighter to hold.

There is almost no glare in bright sun and is great in dark ambient light.

Plus, it uses 4G LTE for data transfer, the fastest in the nation via the ATT network.

It also has a new innovation, Ultra Power Saving Mode, whereby one can have a 100% battery charge last for 12.5 days. The downside of that mode is that it is in black and white and only runs 6 apps including phone and messaging. I use it every night when I sleep.

I can play Shredder Chess on it and alternate with reading Kindle eBooks. If lost or stolen, it can be instantly found at the Android Device Manager site within 15 meters and then can be made to ring continuously, locked with a new password or wiped clean as the situation requires.

My problem is the last PW and HDX are only SIX MONTHS old. I can't believe the rate of obsolescence with these readers. I have a hunch in 6 months my S5 will also be obsolete. I heard that Apple will introduce a "Phablet" in a few months which may have a larger screen than the S5 and still be light and small enough for a pocket.

Amazon, as well, has a new smart phone which will be offered next October.

Technology is forcing the consumer to spend more and more money for new eReaders every year. I sometimes long for the simplicity of the old print books.
I've got ten different devices for ebooks registered with Amazon under my name, under a single account --- no problems or limitations with them at all. Maybe the six device limit is a thing of the past?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #52
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
I've got ten different devices for ebooks registered with Amazon under my name, under a single account --- no problems or limitations with them at all. Maybe the six device limit is a thing of the past?
There's never been a limit to how many devices you can have on an Amazon account.

There can be a limit as to how many devices you can simultaneously have an Amazon purchased ebook loaded, and that is often set at 6 by the publisher.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #53
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Its simply not practical to use the PW or HDX without their covers.
I know you're known for silly statements, but really? I use my PW1 and my Fire HD without covers all the time and they both work just fine for me. You probably shouldn't assume (again) that what works for you **will** work for everybody else.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #54
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Thus, there is no question that, if portability and weight are factors, the S5 makes both the PW and HDX OBSOLETE as a reading device.
I have a different definition of obsolete.

Obsolete is when you can't do with the device what you could do before, or it has become significantly more difficult to do so.

So, if there is a new super-DRM that prevents current books from being read on old devices, that makes the old device obsolete, at least for readers of current books.

By this standard, most, if not all, Palm devices are obsolete. But no Kindle is.

What you mean by obsolete is that you like the new features better.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #55
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Why are you guys beating your head up against that wall, have you forgotten who the OP is?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #56
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Why are you guys beating your head up against that wall, have you forgotten who the OP is?
Yeah, I know. But sometimes his pronouncements are so outrageous I just can't help myself.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #57
sirmaru
Wizard

True enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
What you mean by obsolete is that you like the new features better.
Exactly !! However, I have still retained my 2013 PW and HDX although I gave away my 2012 PW and HD. I just used the HDX to read by my bay window at sunset while my S5 was charging. Now I go to read on the S5 while my HDX is placed on the charger.

By the way, horse and buggies still work and require much less money to buy and maintain than a self driving car. In some places they are still used.

Somehow, in my humble opinion, my self driving car made that old horse and buggy obsolete.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-26-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #58
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Its simply not practical to use the PW or HDX without their covers. Thus, those covers must be included when measuring portability (weight, length and width). The advantage of the S5 is that a Folio cover is available which replaces the OEM back cover (saving weight) and supplies a front, flip cover with a small window to use the camera when folded over to protect the camera lens and work and / or read on the front screen. Neither the PW nor the HDX has a similar cover to replace part of the OEM to save weight. Thus, those latter two with covers are significantly HEAVIER than the S5.
Some people use their Kindles without cases, so it's not "simply not practical" -- but, more importantly from my point of view, you're comparing apples to oranges. If you really want to protect your Galaxy S5, you're going to need something more substantial than the Samsung Flip Case -- which does nothing to protect the sides of phone. I know my wife uses an OtterBox-like case on her Note 2. It probably weighs about 3 ounces. So, if you're going to compare cases for the Galaxy S5 and Kindles, you need to compare "like to like." A similar lighted "folio" cover that snaps to the back of a Sony T3 is also available. It weighs less than 3 ounces -- but would it actually protect the T3 from a fall? I tend to doubt it.

Quote:
Another advantage of the S5 which I have not mentioned previously is that the battery can be replaced by lifting the back cover. Thus, on a long trip one could carry 2 or 3 extra batteries for a longer battery use than the PW or HDX. The latter two do not have replaceable batteries.
That's definitely a positive spin. "The battery doesn't last very long (compared to an E-Ink reader), but you can carry more of them." While I appreciate the fact that Samsungs do allow you to change batteries, you're really reaching to make that a selling point vs an E-Ink reader, which has a much, much longer battery life.

Quote:
For short reading sessions at HOME the PW (in bright light) and the HDX (in dull light) are best. For long reading sessions or those away from home nothing beats the S5. If one wants background music, the PW just will not do. If I want to have messaging and calling always nearby, then only the S5 will do. For one hour Bible studies with only a chair available, the S5 is best. For one hour Bible studies with a table available, the HDX is best. The AcroBible App (which I use) only runs on the HDX and S5. If I want to play Shredder Chess App, then only the S5 will run it. If I want to manage my many Grace Internet radios, then only the HDX will handle it.
It looks like you've found the answer ... for you. But your preferences and mine are definitely different. For one thing I would (personally) never buy a $600 cell phone. My Motorola Android phone cost less than $10 on eBay. I use a cell phone service (RingPlus) that costs me a little over $12 a month with taxes and usage fees (400 minutes, 400 texts, 300 Megs, 2 cents per unit overage) -- and, if I use half my allotted amount a month, it's a big month for me. As for games ... I hardly ever play them (sometimes pinochle). Besides being used as a phone and for texts, my main use of my phone is for EverNote and eMail -- and sometimes a quick look at the news or weather. I have used the Nook and Kindle apps -- on occasion -- when stuck somewhere, but it's definitely not my preferred method of reading. But the Galaxy S5's bigger screen wouldn't be a help here -- since, if I'm going to carry something that won't fit into my pocket anyhow, I might as well carry my Kindle/Nook/Sony.

In conclusion, a Galaxy S5 definitely does not make my Kindle obsolete. I still think an E-Ink screen is superior to LCD for reading. Not only that but the "heavy" "leather" cases I use with my E-Ink readers give the them a "book-like" feel. I realize that's subjective, but it's very real reading enhancement for me.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:32 AM   #59
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
I don't personally use any cover with my PW. It isn't pricy enough device and also seems like tough build. I doubt it could permanently break so easily and even if it does, then I just would buy a new model. I have the previous PW1 too, so I could use that as backup while waiting for the new model.

Last edited by Stringer; 04-27-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:07 AM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I don't personally use any cover with my PW. It isn't pricy enough device and also seems like tough build. I doubt it could permanently break so easily and even if it does, then I just would buy a new model. I have the previous PW1 too, so I could use that as backup while waiting for the new model.
Originally I didn't use a case on my Nook Simple Touch, I just stored it in its box. But one night, after reading into the early morning, I went to stick the NST on to the fireplace mantel but had accidentally turned the box upside down (I was tired) -- and out plopped the NST, first hitting its edge on the bricks of the hearth (four feet below the mantel), then flipping face-first on to the floor (about two feet below the hearth). I think I tried to grab it, making it worse. I was fortunate, it only nicked up the edge, but that's when I decided I would get a case for it. All readers I now own have cases. For a while Staples was clearing out M-Edge Go! cases for $5 and I bought a few of them, but on the Kindles I like the Kindle cases better.