Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which new e-reader appeals to you the most?
Sony Reader 15 20.27%
iRex Iliad 48 64.86%
Jinke Hanlin 3 4.05%
Undecided 3 4.05%
Dedicated e-book readers don't appeal to me. 5 6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #16
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Actually, I voted for the Sony Reader too. I pick the Sony Reader mainly because its price, its size and the expectation that it will be reasonably possible to put your own content on the device. Which, in all fairlyness is all I want.

While the irex is certainly larger and boosts more specs....specs aren't everything. In fact, I prefer a solid device without to many features. I have nothing against decicated devices, unlike doctorow, but let them stick to what they are intended for.

I am rambling.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #17
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
If I could retract my earlier vote, I'd vote for the Sony Reader, too.
Advert
Old 01-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #18
Unregistered
Nameless Being

The iLiad: Just How Much More?

Depending on the availability of the iLiad when it's released, that will be the reader I would buy.

I've seen comments on the cost issue, but I easily see it coming in no more than $600. Technologies like USB, SD and CF Card, Wifi and Ethernet are so commonplace that I can't believe they would drive up the cost of the iLiad significantly. The three things that will drive the cost are the higher-res, larger display (8.1" at 1025*768), the full-screen touch-sensitivity and the integretion of the WaCom Penabled Technology for input. Will these three things drive the price up $250 higher than the Sony Reader? It's possible. Will it drive the price up more than $250 over the Sony Reader? I don't think the cost of the technology warrants it.

It would be an interesting thing to try and discover the actual cost of the Sony Reader and the resulting profit they take in from the $350 pricepoint. That could give a better idea about the eventual pricepoint on the iLiad. My guess is the iLiad will come in between $500 and $600.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #19
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I voted iliad because it's not a sony product but thats not to say I don't have a deal of interest in the sony reader. I've spent the last week finding tools to convert my fast expanding ebook library into BBeb format. The Sony is what sparked my initial interest and I think it has a great deal of promise to it. I have more faith in Sony to release the product on time than I do for the iliad but I guess time will tell.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #20
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Follow-up: Poll got picked up by a Washington Post author:

TURNING THE LAST PAGE ; Electronic Readers Take the Ink and Paper Out of Book Technology
Advert
Old 08-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #21
Special K
Special K began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8
I have just recieved my V8 which for the price seems to work quite nicely. Viewing un-copyrighted content is great. New ebooks for which I am prepared to pay for, now thats frustrating.

Once changed the language from Russian to English, very easy to use. Needs a few attempts to get the line feeds in word / HTML right for the Wolf Printer.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #22
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Now that iRex pricing is out, maybe we should do another poll. I wonder how different the results would be.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #23
swerve
UK Enthusiast
swerve began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/treo 650 (Hanlin V2/ REB/Librie)
I have to say that the Sony Reader knocks spots off the Hanlin models and the Librie. I have at last got hold of the Sony PRS 500 and find it really easy to operate. It looks great with the leather edged cover and is comfortable when reading. The links to Connect store are OK at the moment and I am sure will get better as more content is added. Downloading ebooks from Gutenberg and converting to the Sony is easy and works well. MP3 player is good also.
Only problem - you have to have a US credit Card for buying from Connect store. Does Sony not know that there is a huge potential European market out there!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, they seem to follow MobileRead, so I'd say it's a safe bet they do know about the extr-U.S. interest. We just don't know what's holding them up.

Be sure and add youself to the Reader owner count over in the Sony forum (if you haven't already)!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #25
royalkay
royalkay began at the beginning.

I have used both the IRex and the Sony Reader.
After using the IRex for a month, and always having to wait almost a minute just to read after turning it on, (If you don't turn it off, the battery continues to go down), I then accidently dropped it and broke the screen. ($343 to get it fixed, will not do). I did like the flip bar, but battery life sucked. (Around 8 hours). I like the ability to have directories to sort your books.

Got hold of a Sony, and it only takes 3 seconds to turn it back on, and it returns to where you left off. (With the IRex, you have to go through the menus to reload your book.) I have used the reader for days, and the battery icon still hasn't changed from full charge. The screen is a little smaller, but at least you can zoom some. The weight of the reader is good. (I didn't notice the weight of the IRex, until I held a Sony, much nicer). I wish it had directories to sort you books, but if you have the books on the internal memory, you can put them into collections. I have a few of them, current reading, work, religious, etc.

In the end, the Sony is the better choice: half the price, extreme battery life.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #26
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I like all of them. My choice would be for an all out color eink static media machine. Pictures, text, audio. No movies, no flash, there are better tools for that, mainly TV related apparatus.

The Fujitsu and Eink prototypes are promising!!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #27
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I'm in a wait-and-see mode. I think I would be more inclined to go with a reader if there was more content available. I like the idea of managa and/or comics on them, but I don't like the idea of doing conversions and scans and reformatting and whatnot. I see myself doing it during the initial gosh-wow-oboyoboy phase of owning the device, then thinking it's too much trouble.

I like the Fujitsu and Eink protoypes, too.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #28
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm willing to pay extra for the iLiad, once the following are addressed (and most of this is promised by iRex, so I'm just waiting a bit):

1 - Support some kind of DRM content, so I can buy new books

2 - Write on PDF functionality - this would be a HUGE benefit to me. I have scads of PDFs that I need to read, annotate, and track annotations on, and this device would do the trick. People who just want to read books are quite right that the Wacom screen adds more expense and power consumption than they should have to pay, but I would actually use it.

3 - Web browser for static content (text, photos, etc.) with HWR enabled for browser forms, preferably also with RSS client, hooked up to the wireless/ethernet - what's the point of spending money and power on networking features if you don't use them? Might as well have an email client on there, too, though a web browser would effectively give me that.

4 - pen calibration/pressure sensitivity support - again, the Wacom screen raises the cost and drains power, so make the best use of it possible. I want to be able to sketch, diagram -- do anything I currently do with my paper notebooks.

I also need to see the screen first-hand to make sure it's readable to my eyes. Maybe I could see a Reader somewhere and make comparisons based on that, since the technology is more or less the same.

I appreciate the concern about the glass screen. I plan to make or buy a foam rubber "wetsuit" with a hard front cover to help protect mine if I get one.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #29
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Someone renewed this poll I think we were already on an updated poll here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7801
Old 10-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #30
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'll go ahead and close this older thread. Please continue the discussion and voting at the newer thread and poll.
Closed Thread