Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Partial workaround to make light always-on

I have commented on other threads (including a feature request/bug fix thread for the Glo) about the Glo's lack of an "always on" setting for the light. Although if you put the Glo to sleep yourself it comes back with the light on, if it puts itself to sleep (after inactivity) then it comes back on with the light off.

Well, there is a workaround for this, but it involves editing the conf file on the Kobo, so if you don't feel comfortable doing this, don't.

All you do is connect the Glo to your PC, and open the "Kobo eReader.conf" file, which is stored in the ".kobo\Kobo" folder. Use Windows Notepad, or any other plain text editor.

Under "PowerOptions" change the "AutoFrontLightOffMinutes" value to "0" (zero).

Save the "Kobo eReader.conf" file.

Tell Windows to Safely Remove Hardware, and unplug the Kobo.

That's it. Now the light should only turn off when either you plug the Glo into the PC (which is another issue) or when you manually turn it off.

NB this does not seem to confuse the Glo, even when you go back into the Power settings on the Glo itself - but if you change the sleep or light settings in there, it will probably revert to switching the light off whenever it sleeps the Glo.
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Interesting workaround for those who wish to have the light always on.
I however would rather the light be not always on. If I need it I will just push the button on the top right side of the frame.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Glad to meet a another tinkerer!

Playing around with this on my Glo (2.1.5), I didn't see an "AutoFrontLightOffMinutes" item, just "AutoOffMinutes."

This latter attribute is where the "Automatically turn off after" choice from the power option of the "Light, Sleep & Power" settings menu lives. For example:
AutoOffMinutes=0 equates to the "Never" setting
AutoOffMinutes=45 equates to "45 mins"

Based on this, and since the behavior for sleep mode is to come back up with the last light setting, I'm guessing this tweak is just bypassing the light-killing power-down. Great if it gets you what you're after – the light back on! But is your Glo actually powering down? (Not that it matters, just hacker curiosity.)

And my device doesn't have the exact "AutoFrontLightOffMinutes" attribute in the config file. Are we on different SW versions? Did you add that in yourself? Does something else make it write that in?
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Hi - I don't think we're on different firmware versions - 2.1.5 here too.

Are you looking at the conf file? I have the AutoOffMinutes setting and the AutoFrontLightOffMinutes setting in mine.

If (on your normal settings screen) you have a setting to automatically turn off the light which is separate to the sleep timeout, then you must have a setting to match somewhere in a conf file, otherwise how would your Glo know when to turn the lights out?

You haven't tinkered it out of existence have you?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, haven't tinkered it out of existence... Good question though – learned the hard way to make backups first!

Yep, I see it now. The light-specific attribute is written when that setting is unique. I tried changing mine to see if it appeared, but only in tandem with the sleep time. Shoulda tinkered deeper!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
markino
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x55 View Post
The light-specific attribute is written when that setting is unique.
Ah, interesting. Although mine was there when the two settings were identical - perhaps once you've made them different then the setting sticks around?

Does the workaround work for you, then?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
0x55
userdefined

Yep, it does. I've also just set the thing to sleep but never power down.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
markino
Connoisseur

Oh good, glad it works - although I'm expecting that it might get reset by a firmware update. Obviously it would be better if they fixed it in the firmware update!