Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceRoared View Post
I wanted to ask if the 912 has the option to switch off the automated turning to landscape or portrait when you turn it sideways? The 902 did and I loved that feature.
Yes it does, basically same FW like 902, only some specials due touchscreen
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
hkbeun
hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'hkbeun knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: pocketbook 912
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceRoared View Post
I wanted to ask if the 912 has the option to switch off the automated turning to landscape or portrait when you turn it sideways? The 902 did and I loved that feature.
Yes it has. You can fix the screen orientation in portrait or landscape or otherwise use the autotomatic accelerometeeter-based page rotation.
hkbeun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
Koh
Koh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I am considering buying a pocketbook pro 912, in order to read mangas, technical documents and ebooks. I have tried the device at an event last week and it seems good.
However, I tried reading a PDF file and there seemed to be some sort of "black screen" when turning pages (it did not happen when reading epub). I found it annoying, it does decrease the reading comfort. Is there a way to deactivate this "afterimage" ?
Since I plan to read mangas, does this afterimage appear with pictures or cbz files ?
Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Hi Koh, welcome to MobileRead!

What you're describing as a "black screen when turning pages" has the "scientific" name of ghosting. It is in a certain way inherent in the eink technology. The Pocketbook offers different settings you can choose from from doing a page refresh every time you turn a page to doing it only every 5 or 10 pages or never. While the first options leads to almost no ghosting but takes some time the last one has a lot of ghosting but does turn the pages much more quickly. So, to a certain degree you can deactivate the afterimage.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
If you intend on reading a lot of PDF files that are laid out for letter/A4 sizes, then you might be better off with the Onyx M92 than the PocketBook 912. The PB doesn't have a Pearl display like the M92, so the text in such PDF files looks more faint on the 912. I find that I have to read PDF files on my 902 in landscape mode to make the text bigger to reduce eye strain. It's something to consider.

It's a shame that PB didn't use Pearl displays, because apart from that, they are nice devices. The software is more mature than on the Onyx devices, although the latter seem to be catching up over time.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Koh

Thanks for your replies !
It's reassuring that one can deactivate or configure the refresh rate of pages.

The onyx M92 looks interesting, but I'm not willing to pay 350 euros for my ereader. Plus, it does not have multitasking at the moment (but it seems that Booxtor is working on it).

It's a shame that so few constructors are building large eink devices. All the others are doing the same product, from a hardware point of view : 6 inch, 1024x758 and a frontlight...
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
crt
Enthusiast
crt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle keyboard, PocketBook Pro 912 (black), T62D with Gonyx
I have opted for PB 912 instead of M92 simply for the price. Bought one from Germany (from Amazon.de it would have been slightly cheaper for shipping although from the same original vendor!).
After ~1 month of waiting (display problem, service center, non-spare parts, replacement with no such problem), I got the one I have now for ~1 week.
The display technology is inferior to my kindle's (and M92's) one (Perl), but when it comes to images, it is faster to display them compared to my kindle (if embedded in a scanned pdf), despite its slow processor.
If it had 2 more things (it is a matter of firmware/software) it would be great for reading A4 technical documents (books, papers, etc), already existing in software for kindle keyboard (Duokan):
1. manual selection of crop areas for odd and even pages
2. printing content bolder than the native content would suggest; this would enhance contrast (and readability).

Zooming at more levels would also be welcome. Check out Duokan and you will see how good it is for PDFs. All-in-all Pocketbook is reasonably good for its money compared to the ~360 Euros for M92 at present.
crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
Koh

Thanks for the feedback ! I will certainly buy a pocketbook pro 912