Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #46
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Spano View Post
I'll share whatever info my publisher allows me to.
That says it all really. And people wonder why I am against publishers and other assorted leeches.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #47
JackNolte
Mystery writer
JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JackNolte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle, iPad
Yeah, this whole thing seems a bit like a self-promo gimmick. First poster had only one post. Nice try, though. Give 'em points for effort.

~Jack

Last edited by JackNolte; 12-29-2010 at 10:40 PM.
JackNolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #48
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
In an attempt to clear the air a bit on the subject of how this thread got started, while I do not know who the first poster was, Robin Spano joined under her own name shortly after I posted a message mentioning mobileread on the blog the original poster linked to. So lets play nice, please .
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #49
drdann
Connoisseur
drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
You have shown us how easy their job is !!
40 hours for 20 pages !
When I was comic-cartoons drawer, I used to draw two pages per week !
I said research...not actual writing, and that was a MINIMUM of the research required. It can take months to find the proper information for even a single page.

Also, you were not a "drawer" as you are not made of wood and used to store items. You were an "artist."
drdann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #50
Robin Spano
Robin Spano doesn't litterRobin Spano doesn't litter

Device: Sony 350
Oh, hey, and to answer the questions about my publisher: They are called ECW Press. They're a Toronto independent press, and they are awesome. They have a reputation in Canada for edgy fiction (my book is one of the tamest things I've seen them produce), they love books, they love writers, and I'm thrilled to be working with them. A bigger press probably would have told me to go away with my ideas about pricing. The fact that they're running this experiment says a lot to me about who they are.
Robin Spano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #51
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwizard View Post
In an attempt to clear the air a bit on the subject of how this thread got started, while I do not know who the first poster was, Robin Spano joined under her own name shortly after I posted a message mentioning mobileread on the blog the original poster linked to. So lets play nice, please .
Meanwhile, the person that started this thread still has only one post. But let's give her the benefit of the doubt.

The book was published in September. Ashley bought it sometime in September-November, read the book, and loved it. By coincidence she happens to read the Deadly Letters blog and hey, there she is: her new favorite author letting everybody know that her book is now 5 times cheaper for a week. What can Ashley do? She can post on MobileRead since she has been reading the forums for a while and just wants to give something back to the community. She has to do that immediately, and then never post again.

And I just read the comments on the blog. I can't say that I really like the fact that the author suggests that people should lie about their address to get the georestricted book, and then gets upset when someone points out that that isn't a solution to the georestriction problem. Especially since she is the one who signed the contract to give limited rights to the publisher.

Oh, and she uses the work "edgy".
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #52
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNolte View Post
Yeah, this whole thing seems a bit like a self-promo gimmick. First poster had only one post. Nice try, though. Give 'em points for effort.

~Scott
Says the author with the image of his book's cover as both his avatar and his signature.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #53
C.I.Bond
I need to clean this tub!
C.I.Bond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
And I just read the comments on the blog. I can't say that I really like the fact that the author suggests that people should lie about their address to get the georestricted book, and then gets upset when someone points out that that isn't a solution to the georestriction problem. Especially since she is the one who signed the contract to give limited rights to the publisher.
Bah, stupid rules deserve to be ignored. I bought a DVD player and then had it sent to a company so they could remove the global chip that prevents me from watching Japanese Anime that is made in Japan. Yes the publisher should be penalized for not making this work available everywhere but there is a risk to that for the publisher, at least this is the case with software, you need to be “sensitive” to regional issues if you want to sell in certain markets. If the consumer lies, and gets the book from a US store then the publisher can’t be held accountable if the content offends someone in the UK. I don’t actually think the UK is much of a problem but China has been known to be rather reactionary and throw employees into jail for mistakes. The publisher then throws up his hands and says “but it wasn’t supposed to be sold in China.”

I bought the book because, whether or not this is a publicity stunt, I do want to support lower e-book prices and I would hate to think that I didn’t when I had the opportunity.
C.I.Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #54
Robin Spano

Red face

Ha ha re: the guy with the book cover signature. And wow there are a lot of haters on this forum. Maybe that's why Ashley left.

But there are a lot of smart people here, too. From this post, and from the one I started before I knew about this one, comments here have helped me a lot with the next step of this experiment.

Thanks to suggestions here, I'm going to ask my publisher if they'll try a longer experiment. My original request was for him to lower the ebook's permanent price to $4.99, and this experiment was his way of saying no, and we'll show you that more books won't sell even at $1.99. (Which is why I've been on blogs promoting it - it was important to me that more books sold this week - so I have a leg to stand on for future discussions.)

So since the results are something real, I think my next step is to ask him for a more comprehensive experiment - a few months at the price I like - $4.99.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #55
iq3
iq3 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
To clear up a few things here about the original post, here's the deal. I got myself an ereader this summer, and as much research as I did on the ereaders themselves, I forgot to look into the prices of books... I was disgusted when I found out the prices of books. I've been lurking on this site for a while now, but while I read some of the threads, I've generally found that my comments are covered by other people, so I never felt strong enough to go through the trouble to create an account.

On a totally separate note, I found and read the first book of a little known author, and I really liked it a lot. So when I heard about the experiment, I figured that I could contribute original information to this forum, created the account, started the thread. Looking back on this, my enthusiasm certainly does make it look staged, but I assure you the author had nothing to do with me posting this, unless you count starting the experiment.

As for why I haven't continued to post, I must have misconfigured my account somehow, I just received a notification today that anyone had posted on this thread at all. I checked my settings, I'm supposed to receive daily notifications, so I'm not sure what's going on. I would blame my spam filter, but I'm not sure why I got the notification at all...

Anyway sorry for the confusion, and sorry to the conspiracy theorists who think that I'm actually the author or the publisher, or maybe an alien from outer space Now that I have my account I may be more active.
iq3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #56
Robin Spano

Hey, iq3 - thanks for starting this discussion! (And for coming back.)

If anyone's curious about the results, I only have unofficial info from Kindle at the moment - my publisher is still waiting to hear back from Apple and Kobo. Seems bizarre that electronic sales information isn't instant, but that's life in a bizarre industry. Anyway, these preliminary results have the book selling approx 30x the normal amount in a given week.

So thank you SO much to everyone who participated - by buying a book or commenting and keeping the conversation alive. We may not change policy this time (I hope we do), but I think our voices have made a contribution.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #57
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Best of luck to you!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #58
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Hey, iq3 - thanks for starting this discussion! (And for coming back.)

If anyone's curious about the results, I only have unofficial info from Kindle at the moment - my publisher is still waiting to hear back from Apple and Kobo. Seems bizarre that electronic sales information isn't instant, but that's life in a bizarre industry. Anyway, these preliminary results have the book selling approx 30x the normal amount in a given week.

So thank you SO much to everyone who participated - by buying a book or commenting and keeping the conversation alive. We may not change policy this time (I hope we do), but I think our voices have made a contribution.
I only bought the book because I liked the spunk of killing Mayor Miller in effigy.

I'm glad you joined the conversation and hope you stick around.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #59
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I'm not disputing the general claim that a lower price will sell more copies. I'm merely expressing skepticism that she'll sell 5x more based on lowering the price.
I guess it all comes down to how many will give it a go at the lower price who wouldn't even look twice at it for the 10.99 price. One other thing this will do is show the benefit of promotion since I bet most people would never have heard of the book without the author trying to do something different to get it noticed.

Personally, I would have given the book a try, but like one of the commenters on the blog post, I have decided to vote with my wallet these days when it comes to geo-restricted books, if a publisher doesn't want to sell me a particular book then I am not going to waste my time getting round restrictions and will just take my money elsewhere as there are always plenty of books to read.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #60
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Preliminary results are middling re: sales - as in, my guess is that DPS is selling 5-10x as many copies, but that might not be enough considering there's all this extra promotion going on to convince my publisher that he should lower the price on a permanent basis.

At the end of this experiment, I'll share whatever info my publisher allows me to. I don't have specific stats now, but I'm hoping to. Thanks so much for all these comments/discussions.
One obvious point to make to your publisher, while they may not want such low prices on all books, setting a lower price on a book that is the start of a series would seem like an ideal way to fuel sales in the long run for the rest of that series as most people are not going to tend to pay over the odds for an author they don't know.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote