Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
FlightCrew, the epub validator

I've just released FlightCrew, an open source epub validator. I've written a thorough introduction on the Sigil dev blog, so there's little point in repeating myself here. Read that if you want to know more.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
It sounds very interesting, as I am not an epub expert, I just know what I like and try to get there with as little hassle as possible. Thank you very much!
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Have I also mentioned that EC development is pretty much dead? From it’s public source repository, it has had a whopping one source code commit in the last ten months, and that commit was four days ago.
I doubt they will have any more updates on EPUBCheck 1.x, but they have begun preliminary work on EPUBCheck3.

FlightCrew sounds like a great program. I'll use it before I bother with EPUBCheck.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
I doubt they will have any more updates on EPUBCheck 1.x, but they have begun preliminary work on EPUBCheck3.
Do four sentences on a wiki page that amount to "we should make something" constitute "preliminary work"? If that's true, I'm starting preliminary work on a space shuttle tomorrow.

Seriously though, FlightCrew will have support for epub 3.0 when it's out and when people start caring about it. The latter will probably come much later than the former though.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Do four sentences on a wiki page that amount to "we should make something" constitute "preliminary work"? If that's true, I'm starting preliminary work on a space shuttle tomorrow.
Good point, but I would not expect them to be very far along on EPUBCheck3 before they determine what is going to be in EPUB3.

I looked at the code page for EPUBCheck1. It looks like they are working on 1.06. Still I wouldn't expect any major changes to their code until they really start work on EPUBCheck3. All the more reason to use FlightCrew.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
I looked at the code page for EPUBCheck1. It looks like they are working on 1.06.
AFAIK the only thing coming in epubcheck 1.06 will be a check for unmanifested files. FlightCrew already does most of this by reporting files that are in use but not in the manifest. A "pure" unmanifested files check in FC is forthcoming. It's a fairly simple feature.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I've just released FlightCrew, an open source epub validator.
Excellent! There you have issues #1 and #2

Last edited by Jellby; 10-03-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I tried it on a few files that had not been through Sigil.. Lots of Red seen
Opened them in Sigil, made a tiny change and Saved. Most were gone on the next check.

Request for those files that just "Pass". Some sort of "Last Status" that clears away as soon as Go is pressed or the file name is changed. (Did it run??)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
http://blog.threepress.org/2010/09/2...e-for-testing/

I wonder, since epubcheck is open source, why did you decide to write FlightCrew from scratch, and not just fix epubcheck?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
as far as i understood val was more than unhappy with the part producing the errmsg in epubcheck, so maybe it would have been far too much work rewriting the existing stuff than starting over.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Valloric, thanks for making FlightCrew available.

The GUI works as advertised, but I can't figure how to invoke the CLI version. From the project site docs, it suggests that the GUI version includes the CLI.

How do I invoke the CLI version?

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cool, hopefully the beginning of the end of epubcheck.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
http://blog.threepress.org/2010/09/2...e-for-testing/

I wonder, since epubcheck is open source, why did you decide to write FlightCrew from scratch, and not just fix epubcheck?
epubcheck is written in Java, and thus can't be embedded into Sigil. FlightCrew is in C++, and thus can be. This was the main driving force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Valloric, thanks for making FlightCrew available.

The GUI works as advertised, but I can't figure how to invoke the CLI version. From the project site docs, it suggests that the GUI version includes the CLI.

How do I invoke the CLI version?

G
The GUI package includes the CLI, which is a separate application called FlightCrew-cli.

Except on Mac, because I just remembered I forgot to put in the DMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Cool, hopefully the beginning of the end of epubcheck.
Hopefully, yes.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #14
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Thank you for this! I tried it out and my ebooks passed the validation without a single error. At first, I was a bit worried because EpubCheck is not sufficient enough for validation and I have been using it so far. My books still passed your validation software so it gives me little bit better peace of mind I'll start to use this program. Keep up the good work and thank you!
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #15
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
svg

my ePubs have an image cover page with structure borrowed from a baen book. Flight Crew reports that the svg element can't sit in one of several tags. It's actually in a body element which is not mentioned in the list.

So either it's not a problem (and it does seem to work) or the error message needs tweaking!

All of my epubs seem to pass apart from that. Mind you, none of them will open properly in Stanza so either there is more to ePub than we know or stanza's more picky...

Thanks for making this!

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote