Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can get a Kobo Aura H2O from Japan for $128.98 from eBay in the US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Aura-H2...oAAOSwHjNV84v3
Alsos need to add in the shipping, which is another $12 minimum.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If you can get your hands on a Kobo Glo HD. I'd go with that. My eyes are very sensative and this is the perfect reader for me. I leave the light on eight but the light is so even you can't even tell it's lit unless you turn out the lights and even then it's so even that it doesn't strain the eyes. The higher the ppi the less eyestrain I have found. 300ppi is perfect for me while anything less I get eye strain after awhile because my brain can make out the edges of a font and the rendering quite well. My Paperwhite v1 gives me migraines. I have to have a even background that's not blinding to read on.

I wish Kobo hadn't discontinued this model. It's perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:29 PM   #33
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I also have damaged eyes that are sensitive to light. The Voyage doesn't bother my eyes at all with or without the light. I can't read with my Nook Glo more than about an hour or so with the light on now (I'm actually considering selling it for this reason - my eyes got worse over the last year). Any ereader without the light on works perfectly fine. I just use an ordinary reading lamp. Any kind of tablet is pretty bad. I use them extremely sparingly now (mostly just for magazines).

I know you can shut the light off Kindles and Nooks. I presume other manufacturer's allow this as well.

Finally, my Mom has a 1st generation Paperwhite - I can't use that more than half an hour. Don't know about the current Paperwhites.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:38 AM   #34
Elim
Elim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I also have damaged eyes that are sensitive to light. The Voyage doesn't bother my eyes at all with or without the light. I can't read with my Nook Glo more than about an hour or so with the light on now (I'm actually considering selling it for this reason - my eyes got worse over the last year). Any ereader without the light on works perfectly fine. I just use an ordinary reading lamp. Any kind of tablet is pretty bad. I use them extremely sparingly now (mostly just for magazines).

I know you can shut the light off Kindles and Nooks. I presume other manufacturer's allow this as well.

Finally, my Mom has a 1st generation Paperwhite - I can't use that more than half an hour. Don't know about the current Paperwhites.
I’m relieved to know I’m not the only person looking for eReaders for light sensitive eyes.

I was happy to see that the whole Kobo line has the ability to turn off the front light, but I thought it was only the most basic Kindle (which doesn’t have a light) that could do the same.

Are you saying your Voyage has that ability too?
Elim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:40 AM   #35
Elim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you can get your hands on a Kobo Glo HD. I'd go with that. My eyes are very sensative and this is the perfect reader for me. I leave the light on eight but the light is so even you can't even tell it's lit unless you turn out the lights and even then it's so even that it doesn't strain the eyes. The higher the ppi the less eyestrain I have found. 300ppi is perfect for me while anything less I get eye strain after awhile because my brain can make out the edges of a font and the rendering quite well. My Paperwhite v1 gives me migraines. I have to have a even background that's not blinding to read on.

I wish Kobo hadn't discontinued this model. It's perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Yes, I’m defiantly more inclined toward the newer 300ppi eReader screens, as I keep hearing that 265ppi still has a certain degree of distortion around font curves. Clarity is pretty paramount for me.

I actually see that Amazon marketplace is still selling the Kobo Glo HD for $155. It’s sooooo much cheaper on Chapters, but it’s not available online anymore, only in store.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:33 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim View Post
Yes, I’m defiantly more inclined toward the newer 300ppi eReader screens, as I keep hearing that 265ppi still has a certain degree of distortion around font curves. Clarity is pretty paramount for me.

I actually see that Amazon marketplace is still selling the Kobo Glo HD for $155. It’s sooooo much cheaper on Chapters, but it’s not available online anymore, only in store.

Whoever is telling you that 265DPI has distortion around font curves is lying. That's not so. I have an H2O and it is very clear.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim View Post

Unfortunately the price is going to be higher as it's discontinued. The warranty isn't even valid on new units.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #38
Elim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Whoever is telling you that 265DPI has distortion around font curves is lying. That's not so. I have an H2O and it is very clear.
Sorry, I think I misread the article. It was comparing the new H20 with the 1st edition and the Kobo Aura One:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...Reader+Blog%29