Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #61
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur
Clark G. Flipper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Do you probably mean 10.12? I am running MacOS 10.12.4 Sierra, latest patchset.
My Sigil contains Sigil.app/Contents/PlugIns/platforms/libqcocoa.dylib and Sigil.app/Contents/Resources/qt.conf.
I have a stack trace, but it is too long to be added here.
Any more questions I could answer (mind you, I am not a python programmer).
Clark G. Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark G. Flipper
Do you probably mean 10.12?
I did indeed mean 10.12.X. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for the confirmation that the file is actually present. The rest of my post was more for the benefit of any debugging Kevin may need to do. But thanks for being willing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Normally with framework builds, the relative location of Plugins within the app is set and if you stick with convention no qt.conf file is needed.
That certainly covers the Sigil Qt application itself. But I think you'll find it leaves the Python application (which we launch externally and use to call the PyQt modules--and thus Qt) out in the cold.

That's why I explicitly control the external Python's QProcessEnvironment in PluginRunner:
so I can set the "QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH" and "QT_PLUGIN_PATH" variables for that particular instance of the Python interpreter. Which is not possible when instructing Python to ignore all Python environment variables by launching it with the "-E" switch. The other option was to put a qt.conf file with the correct paths in the bundled Python executable's folder. A solution I found unsatisfactory for my Win/Lin needs (though I think I did include a qt.conf file there in my experimental Linux Sigil binary installer for good measure).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-08-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #64
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Would you please look at the qt.conf file in Sigil.app/Contents/Resources/ and let us know exactly what it says. That qt.conf was created by the macdeployqt command and it should say where the Plugins/ directory is.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark G. Flipper View Post
Do you probably mean 10.12? I am running MacOS 10.12.4 Sierra, latest patchset.
My Sigil contains Sigil.app/Contents/PlugIns/platforms/libqcocoa.dylib and Sigil.app/Contents/Resources/qt.conf.
I have a stack trace, but it is too long to be added here.
Any more questions I could answer (mind you, I am not a python programmer).
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #65
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually on 10.12 with Quaratined apps this gets worse ... Sierra (10.12) will Sandbox any app not from the official app store (even if properly signed) and the way they do that will break the relationship between the app and dylibs so that embedded python will not be able to find its qt.conf file.

See https://riverbankcomputing.com/piper...ne/034336.html

I never see this on my machine as my own signed app is not quaratined and thus is not sandboxed.

Hmm.... this may take some work.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-08-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Advert
Old 04-09-2017, 02:22 AM   #66
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Would you please look at the qt.conf file in Sigil.app/Contents/Resources/ and let us know exactly what it says. That qt.conf was created by the macdeployqt command and it should say where the Plugins/ directory is.
KevinH
Here it is:

[Paths]
Plugins = PlugIns
Imports = Resources/qml
Qml2Imports = Resources/qml
Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #67
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi Clark,

That looks to be correct. So this does have something to do with the new Gatekeeper quarantine sandbox.

I will start looking at that.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark G. Flipper View Post
Here it is:

[Paths]
Plugins = PlugIns
Imports = Resources/qml
Qml2Imports = Resources/qml
Old 04-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

So 10.12 is the only version (currently) that this plugin's PyQt5 implementation will fail on?

Regardless ... it sounds like I should probably make an adjustment to my plugins that utilize PyQt5 to check for a working implementation of PyQt5 before defaulting to tkinter (rather than merely relying on the framework's time-stamp version to determine if it's OK to use PyQt5), to avoid total plugin failure on 10.12.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #69
KevinH
Sigil Developer

This is so frustrating .... Mac OSX Sierra Gatekeeper Path Randomization is killing me.

I removed the -E flag from PluginRunner and added both environment variables to specify the plugin path.

I build this on my own machine and run it, it all works. But if install Sigil.app on my own laptop and try to run it I get thefollowing totally nonsense error message:

Code:
This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "cocoa"
in "/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/PlugIns/platforms".

Available platform plugins are: cocoa (from /Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/PlugIns/platforms).

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Launcher process crashed
Notice it says it exactly where the cocoa plugin truly is!

I changed things so that only pyc are used in Sigil.app, made sure nothing else gets written to the app, deep codesigned both the app and the dmg. Copy the dmg to my laptop via a usb key. Verify that everything is still properly codesigned, and then copy it to /Applications and again verify that all if properly codesigned.

Then I fire it up and because of some strange path randomization, then entire thing comes back with an insane message.

Forced path randomization is for the birds!

This is so strange! According to the Gatekeeper docs, I have done everything I should have. I have properly codesigned deeply the app and the dmg. I have manually copies Sigil.app from the dmg image into /Applications. And according ot the following test I have properly codesigned things:

Code:
cd /Applications
codesign --verify --deep --verbose=2 ./Sigil.app

./Sigil.app: valid on disk
./Sigil.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

codesign --verify --deep --verbose=2 ./Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/Python.app

./Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/Python.app: valid on disk
./Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/Python.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement
So it should no longer be translocating (path randomized) Sigil.app or its internal Python.app but it does!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #70
KevinH
Sigil Developer

It is a bug in macdeployqt that hits all qt plugins. It has existed for a long time. I am going to have to manually add the correct rpaths after building Qt from source to fix it.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #71
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

At least you found what it is! Until a new release of Sigil is ready to go, I'm just going to release new versions of my plugins which will allow a user to override the gui preference for the time being. Should be a fairly painless process.

Thanks for tracking it down.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #72
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Mac Users - I have yet again updated the Sigil-0.9.8 Mac Package on the github rleease site with a version of Sigil for Mac that should now happily work with PyQt5 plugins with no extra changes.

Please give it a try and let me know if it fixes the issue.

Thanks
KevinH
Old 04-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Note that if you made the changes to the plugin that Doitsu recommended for a workaround, you'll need to undo those changes, or remove/reinstall the plugin (plugin preferences will be retained) to be able to fully utilize the new gui features of the plugin.

Thanks, Kevin!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #74
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur

Right, I reverted the changes. And it still works now. (And the python rocket now shows up!) Thanks!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #75
explorabeth
explorabeth began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does this plug in save a copy of all jpegs and a folder in the local temp folder?
I've had a great semester using this so far, but now i have 300,000 jpegs in my temp folder.
explorabeth is offline   Reply With Quote