Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #2821
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@lochan: Yep, no Python, no Font Overrides menu .

The install script requires 325MB of free space, so that's probably it .

You can check MRPI's logs (in extension/MRInstaller/log) to confirm.

(If you're *really* short on space and you *already* had Python installed, you can manually remove the python & python3 folders first, because they should really take around 150MB each, so that 325MB check is already cutting it pretty close).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #2822
exile2
exile2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Are there any known issues concerning kindle-python-0.15.N-r17441 and/ or kindle-linkss-0.15.N-r17441?
Yesterday my Kindle Voyage automatically updated to 5.12.5.
I reinstalled the latest Kual and kindle-linkss-0.15.N-r17441. After restarting the unit no covers were shown. I also updated to kindle-python-0.15.N-r17441 and the covers from cover_cache were shown again, but none from new books! After deleting cover cache only Last Screen was shown after power off.

It took me several hours of deleting cover-cache, uninstalling, deleting linkss-folders, reinstalling linkss and python, changing Cover Mode Behavior and Screen Savers Behavior - everything without success. Sometimes Latest Page was shown as cover though I didn't choose it from menu. In cover_cache no new book-covers appeared.

So this morning I decided to downgrade to kindle-python-0.15.N-r16737 and kindle-linkss-0.15.N-r16737. Now again it works like a charm.

Any ideas?
exile2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #2823
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle PW4
I’ve had exactly the same problem with covers not showing as screensavers since installing the latest snapshots on my PW4 (no firmware updates though, still on 5.12.3). I’ll try a Python & links downgrade later then and fingers crossed!
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #2824
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile2 View Post
So this morning I decided to downgrade to kindle-python-0.15.N-r16737 and kindle-linkss-0.15.N-r16737. Now again it works like a charm.
Sorry if this is a stoopid question - where did you get the older versions from?
Old 06-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #2825
exile2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGiraffe View Post
Sorry if this is a stoopid question - where did you get the older versions from?
Not stupid - stored on SSD. I don't know if you can get older files here but PW4 seems to be the same as KV. So if you tell me how I could send you the files. Is it possible via PN - I'm not familiar with this forum here.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #2826
exile2

Uploading here doesn't work because of file size limitations.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #2827
exile2

I've sent you a PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #2828
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's conceivable that IM got grumpy again (but I did check that out on Kobo), or that yet another Python 2 EoL issue creeped in, I'll double-check .
Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #2829
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur

I've had a play and on my PW4 running firmware 5.12.3, cover mode of the screen savers does not work using the latest snapshots of Python & linkss from NiLuJe's thread (-r17441). I found -r17174 in my downloads folder, and all works fine with that installed.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #2830
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's conceivable that IM got grumpy again (but I did check that out on Kobo), or that yet another Python 2 EoL issue creeped in, I'll double-check .
Think we posted at the same time. Thanks for checking
Old 06-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #2831
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, confirmed, it's an issue with zlib-ng master at the time I built the packages.

(It's tripping the kernel alignment trap because of an unaligned memory access on an 8 byte value).

EDIT: Yup, fixed it. I'll cook some new builds, should be ready tonight/tomorrow if all goes well.

Note that, for some reason (hardfloat? kernel alignment trap disabled?), that bit of code works just fine on Kobo, on the exact same SoC... >_<".

EDIT²: Ah. alignment trap is set to fixup on Kobo, but signal+warn on Kindle.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-04-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #2832
exile2

Thanks a lot. Also for your great work here!
I will give it a try again.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #2833
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Ought to be fixed now, thanks for the heads up .
Old 06-05-2020, 03:14 AM   #2834
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Ought to be fixed now, thanks for the heads up .
Covers are back; thank you
Old 06-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #2835
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
ScreenSavers hack without python

It's been long time since I posted here. Mainly because I started to use my kindle for… reading books.
I almost completely switched to ebooks and recently I discovered that I really miss one feature of a paper book – a cover. A cover that helps me to visually remember a good book, its title and author. And then I recalled NiLuJe's screensavers hack.
As the python installation takes a lot of space I thought I could replace python tools with my mobitool binary. I gave it a quick try and it works fine. The downside is I had to drop KFX support, because my tool does not support it. Anyway for my use it is not needed as I don't buy books on Amazon. I am posting link to my fork here, in case someone will find it useful. Bear in mind it is a quick mod of the original work, only tested on KT.
Thanks again NiLuJe! I am looking at the cover on my kindle's screensaver now.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch