Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
droopy
Fanatic
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Kobo shouldn't delete an annotation when you tap the X on the upper-right corner.

1. I highlight some text.
2. In the context menu that pops up, I tap the second option in the list: "Add Note".
3. I then finger-type in my note.
4. I tap Save on the lower-right.
5. I'm taken back to the book's text.

Later on, I may be interested in reviewing what I had written. So I:
6. Long-tap anywhere in the gray (highlighted) section.
7. A context menu pops up, but this time, the second option is "Edit Note". I select that.
8. I read what I wrote. Since I don't make any changes to my note, I don't see the need to tap "Save", so I tap the X at the upper-right corner of the Kobo.

What happens:
The note is deleted!

What I expect:
I expect to return to the book's text without the note being deleted or changed.

Why I expect this:
In Windows/Linux/Mac, when you click/tap the X in the upper right (or upper-left) of the window, the assumption is that you are closing the window/program, not that you are deleting/erasing your work.

Let's say you open up a text file in Win/Linux/Mac, you read the text there. After you read it, you click the X button on the upper right of the text-editor program. I think all of us know that clicking X just means the text editor is closed down (exited). We know that clicking X doesn't mean that the text file you were just reading has been deleted.

I wish Kobo developers were mindful of what an X on the upper-right of a program/screen does in many other computing contexts.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're editing the note, "X" is also synonomous with delete.

There's a faster way to get to the annotations anyway, tap once to bring up menus, tap the annotations button on the lower corner next to the magnifying glass. All annotations for the book are there, you can then view them and get out of them without deleting them.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I just tested this, and the behaviour isn't quite what @droopy reported. When I did this, the highlight is removed from text, but the actual annotation isn't removed. If I open the annotations list, it is there. If I close and reopen the book, the highlight is shown. It also gets shown again if you leave the chapter and return.

It is a bug, but, there is no actual loss of data.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
droopy
Fanatic
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DavidFor, thanks for investigating. happy to know that the underlying note is there, just temporarily invisible. How to do we file bugs with Kobo?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
DavidFor, thanks for investigating. happy to know that the underlying note is there, just temporarily invisible. How to do we file bugs with Kobo?
Through the Feedback button on the Kobo site.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert