Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Paperwhite 4/2021 battery life

I took advantage of the Cyber Monday sale and bought a 2021 Paperwhite.

I charged the thing up, but have not used it yet. So, it's been sitting asleep on my dining room table for a week. I turned it on today and my battery level is at 17%.

Is this normal? I don't recall any of my other eReaders draining this quickly when not in use.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

And I now realize the 2021 Paperwhite is not the Paperwhite 4. My Paperwhite is the new 2021 edition with the 6.8" screen.
Advert
Old 12-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I’ve had my 2021 Paperwhite for a little over 2 weeks and the battery life is the best I’ve ever had on any e-reader. So there’s definitely something going on with yours. Charge it up and put a book on it and see if the drain continues would be my advice.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
apastuszak
Evangelist

It's sitting at 99% and doesn't seem to want to go to 100%. I'll leave it sit for a few more hours and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #5
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
I had this experience with a battery dropping alarmingly fast on a brand new Kindle a couple years ago and indexing didn’t seem to be the reason for it. After charging it back up it didn’t happened again and has been normal. I keep my Kindles in airplane mode and Bluetooth off to keep the batteries from quickly draining.

If your battery continues to drain really fast I’d recommend exchanging the Kindle.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #6
apastuszak
Evangelist

Recharged it. It's been close to 2 hours now and I'm still at 100%. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
the issue that it stays at 99% for a long time is normal. on my Kindle Paperwhite 4 (not the 2021 one) i have this too. it usually helps if you charge it 1 hour or so longer. if you then disconnect it and wait 2-5 minutes or so it jumps to 100%. Kindles just seem to don't display the correct battery charge sometimes so its showing you 99% even if its fully charged.

my PW4 as an example shows its charged completly by its green led, but it still says only 99%. if i then keep charging for a while it is 100%. sometimes it also jumps to 100% from 99% if after i disconnect the charging cable.

so.. don't worry about that. its normal.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:43 PM   #8
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I’ve had my 2021 Paperwhite for a little over 2 weeks and the battery life is the best I’ve ever had on any e-reader. So there’s definitely something going on with yours. Charge it up and put a book on it and see if the drain continues would be my advice.

Jim
What sort of battery life are you getting? After jailbreaking my PW3 battery life has improved even more compared to the stock software, 1.1%/h when the screen is on and 0.04-0.06%/h idle drain. Airplane mode all the time so far.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #9
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I’m afraid my claim of a long battery life is purely subjective. I read a lot—5 or 6 hours a day and I’m getting 6 days per charge. In comparison, on my Oasis, I get at best 2 days.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:33 PM   #10
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I’m afraid my claim of a long battery life is purely subjective. I read a lot—5 or 6 hours a day and I’m getting 6 days per charge. In comparison, on my Oasis, I get at best 2 days.

Jim
OK. Oasis by all accounts seems to suffer from sub-par battery life. Probably because of the small battery I guess.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #11
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I took advantage of the Cyber Monday sale and bought a 2021 Paperwhite.

I charged the thing up, but have not used it yet. So, it's been sitting asleep on my dining room table for a week. I turned it on today and my battery level is at 17%.

Is this normal? I don't recall any of my other eReaders draining this quickly when not in use.
If the Wi-fi is left on, can drain that fast, especially if indexing.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:00 PM   #12
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I haven't noticed my PW 2021 showing much battery drain from setting asleep, and the WiFi stays on all the time. The WiFi is off when the PW is asleep. I have verified this by checking my WiFi router logs. Now I have to admit that my PW has been used almost daily except over the Christmas weekend. Over the Christmas weekend, well 4 days and 5 nights the Battery drain was 1% less than what it was the last time I used it before that weekend.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #13
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I haven't noticed my PW 2021 showing much battery drain from setting asleep, and the WiFi stays on all the time. The WiFi is off when the PW is asleep. I have verified this by checking my WiFi router logs. Now I have to admit that my PW has been used almost daily except over the Christmas weekend. Over the Christmas weekend, well 4 days and 5 nights the Battery drain was 1% less than what it was the last time I used it before that weekend.
If you don't have airplane mode on, it is still technically on even if asleep and can contribute to the battery drainage, though. Sometimes I'll randomly open one of my readers and be surprised at the battery drainage - it's almost always a case that when I check, I see I accidentally left the airplane mode off from my last session.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote