Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
Tracy D.
N00b. Dumb but fearless.
Tracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: K4, Touch, PW
No one cares about the cellular thing?

I visit mobileread in streaks… Tend to do it when I am contemplating a purchase or have just made one.

I have had multiple Kindles since my first purchase in 2011. I used to jailbreak, but then got frustrated because I’m not geeky enough to reap the benefits without suffering from the liabilities.

ANYWAY. Background so you know where I’m coming from. I just purchased a PW4 - refurbed - when it became clear that Amazon was not going to offer cellular access on the new models. I currently have both a Voyage and an older Paperwhite, and the idea of losing cellular access in the near future really bothered me. I love the streamlined nature of it, and I don’t keep my phone’s personal hotspot active all the time in order to connect to that via Wi-Fi. Apparently I’m just hopelessly lazy.

I expected to see a lot more about the cellular issue on Mobileread - but it doesn’t appear that many are bothered by it. Is that because most of you jailbreak and sideload, etc? Do I need to just get over this? 🙂
Tracy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy D. View Post
I expected to see a lot more about the cellular issue on Mobileread - but it doesn’t appear that many are bothered by it. Is that because most of you jailbreak and sideload, etc? Do I need to just get over this? 🙂

Even without jailbreaking (not possible on most recent firmware iirc) and/or sideloading, perhaps it's not much of an issue to many because they choose to load their Kindles at home, or via some other Wifi source, minimizing any need for cellular access? Even an 8GB Kindle can carry so many books it seems very likely that most would be able to have something to read between Wifi access points without needing the cellular feature.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The only time I would have used the cellular connection was about two years ago when I realized I forgot to download a book I wanted to read on the plane on my Kindle while at the airport. Fortunately I realized I could just turn on the hot spot on my phone and connect the Kindle to that. Since that point I've just considered the cellular feature on a Kindle redundant. I also figure that these Kindles will eventually be obsolete when 3G is no longer supported. I still have a Kindle Touch with 3G cellular, but I don't I've ever used it. (Maybe once to test it.) That said, I don't travel much, so I'm guessing that would be a big part of it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never had or used a cellular Kindle. At first it was easy enough to use the hotspot on my phone, then I moved to exclusive sideloading and didn't even use wifi much anymore. And these days I mostly use my Kobos (also sideloading). The only Kindle I still have is the Oasis 3 (wifi only). I'm not interested in the newest Paperwhites, because I need page-turn buttons and the newest Kobos have better and larger screens.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think Amazon will not be producing any more Kindles with cellular access. As has been pointed out, most people carry around a perfectly capable reading devices (smartphone), which reduces demand to also carry around a Kindle that needs cellular connectivity (or if they do, the smartphone can bestow that).

We’ve also witnessed how suddenly Kindles with ‘free cellular for the lifetime of the device’ can effectively lose cellular access as wireless standards advance. I think the Oasis 1 no longer can get a cellular connection in most places in the US, for example.

That said, if the price is right for you, why not? I wouldn’t pay $50 more for it, but for $20, sure.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-30-2021 at 07:50 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #6
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
I bought them with cellular as I traveled lots and thought the value was worth it and with the no ads. It has come in handy but I can live without it till I don’t have it! Then I’ll wish it was back.
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
lee.hauser
lee.hauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I was sad to see cellular access go. I read on my Kindle, my iPhone and my iPad, and being able to sync between at least two of those devices anytime, anywhere was a major feature for me. There's no wifi on the bus, in the car or at the beach. I'll learn to live without it, I suppose, but I don't have to like it.
lee.hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:48 PM   #8
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
They dropped the only reason I would have chosen a Kindle for my dad. If he's going to have to go down to the coffee shop or library to download his books anyway, I'll just get him a Kobo so he can at least have Overdrive access.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:09 AM   #9
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
I would like to see the cellular option continue to be available for the people that would like it or need it.

When I got my first Kindle I used cellular as a test to see if it could download books in a different part of town than where I lived. I also tested my phone’s hotspot when I got that feature but every other book I have put on my Kindles at home.

Recently I did think about buying the cellular Paperwhite 4 or Oasis 3 but have never needed it.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:07 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I visit mobileread in streaks… Tend to do it when I am contemplating a purchase or have just made one.

I have had multiple Kindles since my first purchase in 2011. I used to jailbreak, but then got frustrated because I’m not geeky enough to reap the benefits without suffering from the liabilities.

ANYWAY. Background so you know where I’m coming from. I just purchased a PW4 - refurbed - when it became clear that Amazon was not going to offer cellular access on the new models. I currently have both a Voyage and an older Paperwhite, and the idea of losing cellular access in the near future really bothered me. I love the streamlined nature of it, and I don’t keep my phone’s personal hotspot active all the time in order to connect to that via Wi-Fi. Apparently I’m just hopelessly lazy.

I don’t jailbreak my kindles. The cellular issue doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve had it on previous kindles, and still do on my Voyage, but I just don’t use it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I've had a few different eink devices, and have had several kindles and the kindle apps on various tablets. I've never had a cellular eink device, and purposely chose them without.

I've found Bluetooth or just plugging the device into my desktop fine for loading books. And I and keep the devices full, so don't need to connect while on the go. I've never missed it.

I think they probably should keep the cellular option, but it may not be practical or profitable for them to keep selling them. Their agreement with the cellular services may have changed drastically from when they were first introduced.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #12
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I never got a kindle with it as I didn't need it.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I just never saw myself as the sort who had to have any particular book RIGHT NOW. So I have never owned an e-reader with cellular data. Even before I had WiFi at home and was still on dial-up, I simply would hit the library or a coffee shop and download what I needed.

These days, if I had to, I'd create a hotspot from my smartphone. No need thus far. And so many folks have smartphones, it won't surprise me a bit if Amazon phases out the cellular models. There's probably less demand for them now. Not no demand, I have a friend who ALWAYS buys the cellular option, but enough less that it isn't worth offering them?

Or, if they are planning another Oasis model, perhaps they will reserve cellular access for "top of the line."
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #14
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
perhaps they will reserve cellular access for "top of the line."
The cellular option seems like extra expense, weight and complication for Amazon at very little return. Adding another communication protocol , one that as 3G has shown will become obsolete before the reader does, for a small and (likely) shrinking set of users seems like a suboptimal decision. So your "top of the line" suggestion might work: "We really don't want to be bothered, but if you're prepared to pay us a stupid premium for the privilege, here it is"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #15
mjfriedman
Connoisseur
mjfriedman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I always paid for the cellular option. New books anywhere appealed to me. But cell phone/hotspot really does make it superfluous...
mjfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote