Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #46
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Although your assumption is reasonable, it isn't necessarily valid. Not all the dictionaries have the same HTML construction in their internal content files. Some of them, including dicthtml-en-fr.zip and dicthtml-en-de.zip, are using HTML/CSS to make the headword big & bold. Others, including dicthtml-fr.zip and dicthtml-de.zip, are not.

I believe it's the "big & bold" aspect that is causing your problem, but if you don't have any of the existing dictionary patches enabled then I wouldn't expect to see any problems.

To pursue this further I would need to have access to all your current .yaml files - kobopatch.yaml plus all the .yaml files in the kobopatch /src/ subdirectory. If you gather them all together into a .zip file you should be able to attach it here.
Here is the zip. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip yaml.zip (30.5 KB, 221 views)
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #47
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Rereading what I wrote in another thread, I erred saying I used the "increase available text area" patch. What I did use was the "shorten dictionary entry not found message", not "Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height".
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Here is the zip. Thank you.
Do we have a "lost in translation" situation here? I took your first quote to mean that you have neither of these 2 patches enabled:
  • Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area (nickel.yaml)
  • Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height (libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml)

It is clear from your yaml.zip attachment that you actually have both of them enabled.

You have 2 choices:
  1. As stated in my post #34 - update patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height to the new updated version I created yesterday. Then re-apply your usual line-height customisation.
  2. Disable patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height until @geek1011 makes the next official kobopatch release - which may not be soon.

If you follow option 1 you can expect to see something like the attached screenshot.

ETA: If you choose option 2 it will look very similar except, for some word lookups, you may see slightly fewer visible lines in the dictionary pop-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobodict_patch_upd.png
Views:	269
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	182405  

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-02-2020 at 02:19 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #48
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Do we have a "lost in translation" situation here? I took your first quote to mean that you have neither of these 2 patches enabled:
  • Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area (nickel.yaml)
  • Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height (libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml)

It is clear from your yaml.zip attachment that you actually have both of them enabled.

You have 2 choices:
  1. As stated in my post #34 - update patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height to the new updated version I created yesterday. Then re-apply your usual line-height customisation.
  2. Disable patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height until @geek1011 makes the next official kobopatch release - which may not be soon.

If you follow option 1 you can expect to see something like the attached screenshot.

ETA: If you choose option 2 it will look very similar except, for some word lookups, you may see slightly fewer visible lines in the dictionary pop-up.
I'm really sorry. I use a print of libnickel and nickel I did almost a year ago, where I highlighted what I needed to do, and there I had left the option to No for both dictionary related. And then I didn't remember that I had turned it to yes last time I went through it (probably thinking I knew because of two so close releases).
I should at least print a recent version because the patches have moved inside an between both files, and I do need the print, notably for the scrubber and the links at the bottom of the home page.
I chose your update of the patch, and it is perfect now (I don't change anything else than the No to Yes).
Thank you very much.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any chance of getting the Increase page navigation historypatch for this firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Following up on my previous message:

Today I committed a new version of this patch to @geek1011's GitHub site. Assuming he probably won't want to do a full re-release because of a single patch, you can copy the new version from here. Be careful when copy/pasting, this page contains 2 patches, so make sure you only copy the first - i.e. everything except the last 4 lines.
I've installed the firmware and the patches using yours and it's working no problem with my H2O. Thank you.
Advert
Old 10-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #51
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Maybe this is too late ... I don't know whether you're aware but there are 2 Find/Replace options in nickel.yaml patch Custom new header/footer font to fine-tune the relative positions of:
- header caption and first line of page text
- footer caption and last line of page text
Spoiler:
Code:
        # 2b. All models (optional): Fine-tune footer position by adjusting margin-top value
        #     A negative margin-top (e.g -10px) moves the footer text slightly upwards
        #     further from the bottom bezel/progressbar, closer to the page content
        - Find:    "#caption[newFooter=true][qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 14px;\n}"
          Replace: "#caption[newFooter=true] {\n  font-size: 14px; margin-top: 0px;}"

# 2b. All models (optional): Fine-tune header position by adjusting margin-bottom value.
        #     A negative margin-bottom (e.g -10px) moves the header text slightly downwards
        #     further from the top bezel, closer to the page content
        - Find:    "#caption[newHeader=true][qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 14px;\n}"
          Replace: "#caption[newHeader=true] {\n  font-size: 14px; margin-bottom: 0px;}"

E.g. as outlined in the help notes, using a negative px-value for margin-top in the first of the above Find/Replaces will allow you to set the header/footer smaller in patch Reduce new header/footer height without the footer caption cutting into the progressbar along the bottom. See screenshots 3 & 4 in this post.

Hah! I didn't know about that little addition in the Custom new header/footer font patch! Thanks!! I've messed around a bit with both that and the Reduce new header/footer height patch and now have my footer exactly the way I want it, with the book text nice and close to the bottom of the page/bezel. I really couldn't live with the book text so far away from the bottom!

It's a shame the header reduces size as well though. What I really want is a patch that only reduces the footer height, or a patch that reduces the heights of footer and header separately, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that this is not possible... ?

In any case now I probably don't have to downgrade back to firmware 4.9.x (which has my favourite reading setup [with patches]), as a small header is easier for me to live with than a big footer I'll have to do some more test reading to be sure though

Thank you Jackie!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #52
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
What I really want is a patch that only reduces the footer height, or a patch that reduces the heights of footer and header separately, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that this is not possible... ?
No, not possible at the moment, I'm afraid.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #53
steveparry
Connoisseur
steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pardon me for being stupid (I'm not a developer) but surely my Kobo Libra will update its firmware when it syncs on powering up? If not; where exactly is it detailed what the extra features these 'patches' provide? I did at least have some training in html and user-centred interface design for instance. Normally with software one releases a User Guide or at least a Read Me file detailing same. Again, not being a developer, is there a video to show how to install them from my MacBook Pro? The various folders I should unzip files to are baffling me - are they on my Mac or on the Kobo device? Etc etc. Thanks.

Last edited by steveparry; 10-07-2020 at 12:49 PM.
steveparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #54
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparry View Post
Pardon me for being stupid (I'm not a developer) but surely my Kobo Libra will update its firmware when it syncs on powering up? If not; where exactly is it detailed what the extra features these 'patches' provide? I did at least have some training in html and user-centred interface design for instance. Normally with software one releases a User Guide or at least a Read Me file detailing same. Again, not being a developer, is there a video to show how to install them from my MacBook Pro? The various folders I should unzip files to are baffling me - are they on my Mac or on the Kobo device? Etc etc. Thanks.
The firmware will update on sync, but if you want to do it yourself, the firmware update zip file must be extracted to the .kobo folder on the reader. Eject and wait for the update to process.

The patch zip file must be extracted to any folder on your Mac. The folder name can be the same as the zip file for clarity. The src folder contains four .yaml files, which contain the patches. Open them in a text editor. Each patch has its own comments/description. Each also has a line "Enabled: no". If you want to activate a patch, change the "no" to "yes".

Or, you can leave those four .yaml files as they are, and use kobopatch.yaml in the root folder to combine the patches you want in one place. The file itself contains instructions. Be aware of spaces at the beginning of each line. Do not use tabs.

With these details, you should now be able to follow the full instructions in the first post of this thread.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:08 AM   #55
kiranwayne
kiranwayne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Thanks for the patch.

The file "libadobe.so.yaml" in kobopatch_4.24.15676\src does not have the "Keep PDF pan position" patch which was available in 4.15.12920.

Was it was removed intentionally? Is there a way to enable the patch? Am I missing something? Thanks.
kiranwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:00 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranwayne View Post
Thanks for the patch.

The file "libadobe.so.yaml" in kobopatch_4.24.15676\src does not have the "Keep PDF pan position" patch which was available in 4.15.12920.

Was it was removed intentionally? Is there a way to enable the patch? Am I missing something? Thanks.
It was removed for 4.20.14601 as it no longer worked. There was not enough demand for it so it was not looked into to see if it could be rewritten.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:51 AM   #57
kiranwayne
kiranwayne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It was removed for 4.20.14601 as it no longer worked. There was not enough demand for it so it was not looked into to see if it could be rewritten.
Thanks for letting me know; I'll keep my fingers crossed it'll come back in the future.
kiranwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:28 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranwayne View Post
Thanks for letting me know; I'll keep my fingers crossed it'll come back in the future.
Given that most do not read PDF on their Reader, I would doubt there will be enough demand for the patch to be rewritten if possible.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #59
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, not possible at the moment, I'm afraid.
What a shame... thank you for confirming!
Old 10-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #60
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Hmmmm, the Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts patch doesn't seem to be working properly...

I customised it using this handy tool: https://pgaskin.net/kobopatch-patche...off-15505.html

And what I got was this:
Code:
Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts:
  - Enabled: no
  - PatchGroup: Sleep/Power-off timeouts
  - Description: |
      Increase the available sleep/power-off timeouts to larger values (up to a
      few weeks). To customize this patch, see https://pgaskin.net/kobopatch-patches/lgrpwroff-15505.html .

IMPORTANT - Although this patch has been tested by multiple users and
      confirmed to be working, the interaction between the RTC timer and Nickel
      has many moving parts. As reported by JSWolf on MR, this patch might have
      issues with actually powering-off with timeouts longer than a day. The
      cause is likely to be the auto-sync interval or sleepcover causing the
      timer to be overridden/reset every day. Nevertheless, this patch should
      work reliably for timeouts under 12 hours, and probably under 1 day.

If you are using this patch with timeouts above 12 hours, and can confirm
      if it works/doesn't work, please PM me or comment on GitHub with your
      setting values, sleepcover or not, auto-sync interval, wifi on/off, firmware
      version, and Kobo model.

See https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch-patches/issues/28#issuecomment-537161827
      for more details about this.
  # Multipliers
  - ReplaceBytes:
      Base: "N3PowerWorkflowManager::configureWakeup(AlarmControl*, int, AlarmControlDelegate*)"
      Offset: 28
      FindH: 03 FB 04 F2    # MUL r2(dest), r3(multiplier), r4(mins)
      ReplaceH: 4F EA 44 52 # LSL r2, r4, #21
  - ReplaceBytes: {Base: "N3PowerWorkflowManager::pollBattery()", Offset: 106, FindH: 08 FB 00 F8, ReplaceH: 4F EA 40 58} # MUL r8(dest), r8(multiplier), r0(mins) -> LSL r8, r0, #21
  - ReplaceBytes: {Base: "N3PowerWorkflowManager::pollBattery()", Offset: 156, FindH: 02 FB 00 F2, ReplaceH: 4F EA 40 52} # MUL r2(dest), r2(multiplier), r0(mins) -> LSL r2, r0, #21
  # Menu text
  - FindBaseAddressString: "5 mins\0"
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0, Find: "5 mins\0", Replace: "34m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 8,  Find: "10 mins", Replace: "25h37m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 16, Find: "15 mins", Replace: "72h14m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 24, Find: "30 mins", Replace: "97h52m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 32, Find: "45 mins", Replace: "121h10m"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 38, Find: "60 mins", Replace: "148h32m"}
  # Values (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3887105)
  - FindBaseAddressSymbol: "N3SettingsPowerView::initChoices()"
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 11,  Find: 5,  Replace: 1}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 465, Find: 5,  Replace: 1}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 99,  Find: 10, Replace: 44}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 525, Find: 10, Replace: 44}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 159, Find: 15, Replace: 124}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 583, Find: 15, Replace: 124}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 219, Find: 30, Replace: 168}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 641, Find: 30, Replace: 168}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 279, Find: 45, Replace: 208}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 699, Find: 45, Replace: 208}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 339, Find: 60, Replace: 255}
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 755, Find: 60, Replace: 255}
I have the patch switched on from the kobopatch.yaml file.

I have the Kobo Clara HD settings set to Sleep after 34 minutes (never tested as I have a sleep cover) and Power-off set to after 148h32m. I haven't properly tested it because I usually read every day... but, I've noticed that if I skip one or two days of reading, I find my Kobo Clara HD off when I want to read again on day three. As if it switches off after 48 hours instead of after 148 hours (more than 6 days). I changed the power-off time to 97h52m (four days), but after skipping only one day of reading (24-48 hours), I still find my Clara in off mode...

Any idea what's going on?

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching