Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #91
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Just a fun note, OS X Catalina registers this as possible malware, and requires you to go into System Preferences - Security and Privacy - General and under "Allow Apps downloaded from" there should be an option (once you've tried to run it) to open it anyway. You may need to then run kobopatch.sh a second time from terminal.

Also please note I'm not saying this is malware, nor am I saying Geek1011 is up to no good with the patcher. This is strictly what I've experienced because of OS X Catalina. I do not recall this happening on previous OS X installs, nor do I think this is the case of an OS upgrade wiping a previously set white flag since I've upgraded OS X between firmware patches with no issues like this.

Also note that the dialog it presents you with does *not* give an option to 'open anyway', it's only through clicking the ? that this information is given.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@MGlitch: What's your usual workflow?

macOS has *always* quarantined downloaded binaries (well, at least since the GateKeeper days).

The usual least-annoying way to deal with it on unsigned binaries was not to double-click 'em, as that was hitting a GateKeeper wall even before Catalina, but to right-click > Open them, which lead to a different GateKeeper popup, one with an actually clickable "Open" button.

(c.f., this recap in the OCP thread, which also still includes older thumbnails for the Open with > Terminal approach for a .sh).

I can't check myself, as I haven't updated to Catalina (because ADE).
But it's my understanding that this should still work without having to mess with the System Prefs.

Granted, here, this is easier with a .script than a .sh (see the relevant issue).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-28-2019 at 01:32 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #93
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@MGlitch: What's your usual workflow?

macOS has *always* quarantined downloaded binaries (well, at least since the GateKeeper days).

The usual least-annoying way to deal with it on unsigned binaries was not to double-click 'em, as that was hitting a GateKeeper wall even before Catalina, but to right-click > Open them, which lead to a different GateKeeper popup, one with an actually clickable "Open" button.

(c.f., this recap in the OCP thread, which also still includes older thumbnails for the Open with > Terminal approach for a .sh).

I can't check myself, as I haven't updated to Catalina (because ADE).
But it's my understanding that this should still work without having to mess with the System Prefs.

Granted, here, this is easier with a .script than a .sh (see the relevant issue).
I’ll set the patches then launch terminal cd to the patch folder, and using terminal open the .sh file by dragging and dropping it into terminal.

I’m not sure if that’s the proper way but it’s what I’ve done for as long as I’ve patched.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #94
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What happens if you just run it from the Terminal instead of drag'n dropping?

(You've basically done the grunt work already, drag'n dropping feels counter-intuitive at that point. Either you do it GUI style with a simple drag'n drop straight away (and that will definitely trip GK), or you do it CLI-style all the way).
Old 10-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #95
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
What happens if you just run it from the Terminal instead of drag'n dropping?

(You've basically done the grunt work already, drag'n dropping feels counter-intuitive at that point. Either you do it GUI style with a simple drag'n drop straight away (and that will definitely trip GK), or you do it CLI-style all the way).
I'm guessing there's something else I'd do in terminal other than just the filepath which is what drag/drop gets me, but I've no idea what.

Just to be clear the only time I use terminal in this is to CD into the patch folder, and to run the .sh file.
Advert
Old 10-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #96
NiLuJe
BLAM!

FWIW, once you've cd'ed there, it's as simple as ./whatever.sh (probably ./kobopatch.sh here ^^).

But, again, everything is made easier with a .script for people not used to CLI . Which, granted, is a moot point right now.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #97
MGlitch
Wizard

/whatever kobo.sh is indeed what dragging and dropping generates, I still have to slam the ol' enter key for terminal to do anything with it. It's possible /kobo.sh would work I hadn't tried.

And yes, whether a script would work better or not is moot for me. I'm just hoping this helps the less techy people because previously Gatekeeper would at least give you the option to open anyway in the error it threw at you. Now, as mentioned, it buries this information.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #98
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@MGlitch: Oh, I see what you mean (after actually trying a drag'n drop ;p) [I was expecting stuff to run automagically being the scenes straight after the drag and drop. While in fact it just pastes the absolute path of whatever got dropped to your shell].

Huh. Then, no, doing it all by hand over CLI probably wouldn't help :/.

Expect a friendly PM when I have a .script version for you to test (spoiler alert: it's a simple as renaming the .sh to .script ^^) .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-28-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:38 PM   #99
MGlitch
Wizard

Changing it to .script works, without triggering gatekeeper. Though I have to do 'open with' - 'other' - 'enable all applications' - navigate to Terminal. I do have an option there to 'always open with', so in the future OS X would auto handle it.

If nothing else this has made patching easier for me in the future, just rename and open w/ terminal and done.

I'm not sure if it would have inherited the permission to run anyway or not. Nor am I sure if future versions would though I would somewhat hope not.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #100
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@MGlitch: Ooops, .script is for Applescript >_<".

I meant .command (my bad). That should get you a simple "Open" on right click, because Open with is kinda ridiculous to deal with.

(And, yeah, you'd need to try with a fresh download to make sure it still has the quarantine bit set).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-28-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #101
johnnydarko
johnnydarko began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
I have a Mac running Mojave and using the same process that I used for patching 4.15 no longer works with 4.18. What I mean by this is that I can no longer drag the kobopatch.sh file onto the terminal window without getting this error message:

Loading configuration from kobopatch.yaml
Reading input firmware zip
Error: could not apply patches: could not find KoboRoot.tgz

I know that the KoboRoot.tgz file IS in the firmware ZIP and I have that in the proper src folder. Not sure what changed since the 4.15 patch, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
johnnydarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #102
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
Yep, if you turn off the header (Chapter Progress in Settings), only the chapter number/name is shown in the page footer -- no page number or time remaining.

This won't bother me since I keep both header and footer visible, but it will be a problem for some folks.
I have a suspicion on why this is happening. I can probably fix it, and I'll do it next week.
Did this ever get fixed?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #103
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Did this ever get fixed?
No, it turns out too much of the code for the header and footer is shared with each other for me to easily change it for only one of them (and I don't have time to do it the long way right now).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #104
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydarko View Post
I have a Mac running Mojave and using the same process that I used for patching 4.15 no longer works with 4.18. What I mean by this is that I can no longer drag the kobopatch.sh file onto the terminal window without getting this error message:

Loading configuration from kobopatch.yaml
Reading input firmware zip
Error: could not apply patches: could not find KoboRoot.tgz

I know that the KoboRoot.tgz file IS in the firmware ZIP and I have that in the proper src folder. Not sure what changed since the 4.15 patch, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
From the terminal window, can you paste the output of typing `find ` then dragging the patch folder on, and pressing enter? Also, can you also paste the output of log.txt (put it in a spoiler)?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #105
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
is kobopatch updated with 24 line hight patch?
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching