Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 AM   #1
LingeBed
LingeBed began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 611
Calibre does not start

I have downloaded Calibre 2.2.0 and since then the program does not start and it freezes other programs. I use Windows 7 64-bit. I removed Calibre and installed it again. Everything worked fine The next day, after rebooting the computer, I had the same problem. Any suggestions what this can be?
LingeBed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Probably calibre and some other program are getting in one another's way, e.g. competing for the same resource, see ==>> Frequently Asked Questions

A process of elimination maybe the only way to determine the cause.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2014, 03:55 AM   #3
LingeBed
LingeBed began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 611
Starting as administrator does the trick. I will try to find out which program causes this problem.
LingeBed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
adarnold
adarnold began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
I have the same problem. New Win8.1-64. On install of Calibre 2.1 all goes fine till it finishes and hangs (total freeze requiring power button) whole system trying to open Calibre. Installed as Admin and rebooted, still hangs when trying to start. Removed Calibre via win 8.1 (remove progs)and re-installed after a reboot. Still hangs after install.

Third time, unchecked "Start Calibre" after install. Tried running after reboot after install. Still no luck. I have been using Calibre on two Win7-64 laptops and my previous win 7-64 machine. This new one with Win8.1 seems to be a bit flakey anyway. BTW, I donated $35.00 a couple years ago on 1st install. Love the program and use it on the Win7-64 laptop till I can get W8 system using it. Thanks any and all for your time and it IS a wonderfull program. I have 2960 books and keep the library updated constantly.

Last edited by adarnold; 09-12-2014 at 01:43 AM. Reason: typos
adarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If your entire system is freezing, then your problems are in your system, not calibre. calibre is what is called a "user mode program". That means it cannot, by itself, cause an entire system freeze, unless something in the system is malfunctioning.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 02:12 AM   #6
adarnold

Thanks a million for returning an answer, however, I solved the problem. It was the Webroot antivirus program. I turned it off and tried to run Calibre and up it came. I then turned on Webroot and Calibre started again. I will now try installing 2.2 with webroot running and see if it hangs or can now bypass. In any case, I surely appreciate your quick response. As I said, your program is the most used of all. I am a retired Marine (64-94)
and no more big software programs anymore. Just play time!!! Thanks and be safe!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:21 AM   #7
adarnold

Installed/ran Calibre 2.3 with no problems. I have always used Norton 360 with no problems with any but one program. WebRoot came with the system, so it took me a while to think it may have been (actually was) the cause. Thanks again for a wonderful program and your assistance!