Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old Today, 12:04 PM   #196
downeaster59
Guru
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 5, Onyx Nova 2, Onyx Note Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Everybody actually. UPS Stores for one. The UPS "Service Centers" (i.e. warehouses) are free, but they are few and far between and they try to have the worst hours and the worst service. The US Post Office has gotten positively hostile to General Delivery. They act as if they haven't been paid already for the transport. They add arbitrary local requirements. I use an unrelated business in town that charges me $5 a package.
I wasn't aware of any of this, either! Excuse my possible naïveté, but I wonder if this is a problem specific to your area or if this is something commonly found nationwide?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #197
Renate
Evangelist
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, Kobo Aura2, Poke3
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I wonder if this is a problem specific to your area or if this is something commonly found nationwide?
This is a problem for anyone in my situation. No address. Yes, I have a mailing service that receives my mail. They can scan my mail when I request it. That doesn't really help for packages. They'd have to forward them (which they can/will do) but it leaves me back at the same problem.

I dislike Amazon, but if they installed Amazon lockers in the next town over I would buy everything from them.

Unrelated rant: I dislike the US Postal Service (and other delivery services too, actually). They have tracking now on the internet. Fine, but certainly with the USPS there is a lot of delay in updating status. They report status as "Departing USPS Regional Destination Facility", but they never say where they are going. Is this just a road trip and they haven't made their minds up yet? Said USPS RDF is a two hour drive from here and there is nothing between it and me. My package "departed" (destination unknown) at 1:30 AM Wednesday morning. So, where is it and what's it doing? The bottom line is that the initial estimate was "delivery by Friday at 9 PM" and they will do anything to ensure that, including detaching the trailer and leaving it by the side of the highway for two days.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:07 PM   #198
downeaster59
Guru
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 5, Onyx Nova 2, Onyx Note Air 2
@Renate: I can sympathize with the "No address" issue. Last year, I needed to move quickly from my abode in Maine and ended up living for several months in an apartment in the back of a church in the small town of Stratton, ME, near the Sugarloaf ski area. The problem I ran into was that, since no one had actually lived there before (though some had stayed there for personal retreats and the like), the location had no official USPS address! I could get a PO box at the local P.O., but this became a major problem for stuff like car insurance, internet service, or any physical deliveries. Some companies would deliver, some would not. Internet service? Nope. They couldn't find the address in their database. Car insurance? I only convinced them with photos of me, my car, and my location. I asked the local PO postmaster about it, but it was not a priority for them. Now I really appreciate living in a place with an official USPS address again!!

Back to our regularly scheduled topic: my Nook GL 4 is still due here tomorrow. It's in Louisville, KY now, according to UPS (pronounced Oops by some customers...). I am hopeful that I really will see it tomorrow...
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook