Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #391
luisdent
Enthusiast
luisdent began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis 2017
Could the issue i'm having with bookmarks be related to the conversion with kepub plugin? please see my latest post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...05#post4008005

Is there an option I can tweak? Or can i put the kepub on the device without using calibre? it doesn't seem to show the book if i sideload it manually.
luisdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #392
jiembe
Zealot
jiembe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo Libra
Images in endnote

I have the inverse problem of tartampion (in my case get rid of the popup or else) in one book. The endnotes contain a lot of .png and .img the kobo popup endnote don't show.

I try the empty <div id="><div> before the contains of the end note to prevent the popups without success. Any other trick to prevent the popup or to show the images in the popups?
jiembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #393
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
Could the issue i'm having with bookmarks be related to the conversion with kepub plugin?
Are you able to reproduce this with a KePub from Kobo (downloaded on the Libra, not passed through calibre)?

Quote:
Is there an option I can tweak?
None that I'm aware of, but if one exists davidfor may know about it.

Quote:
Or can i put the kepub on the device without using calibre? it doesn't seem to show the book if i sideload it manually.
In calibre the KePub is stored with the extension '.kepub', but the Kobo device doesn't recognize that. On the Kobo device you need to have the extension '.kepub.epub'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiembe View Post
I have the inverse problem of tartampion (in my case get rid of the popup or else) in one book. The endnotes contain a lot of .png and .img the kobo popup endnote don't show.

I try the empty <div id="><div> before the contains of the end note to prevent the popups without success. Any other trick to prevent the popup or to show the images in the popups?
Are images in pop-ups even supported on Kobo devices? Do they work in another KePub from Kobo (not a normal ePub, that uses a different rendering engine)?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #394
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Are images in pop-ups even supported on Kobo devices?
No images, no bold/italic and multiple paragraphs are presented as a single plain text blob. More's the pity.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #395
luisdent
Enthusiast
luisdent began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis 2017
Quote:
Are you able to reproduce this with a KePub from Kobo (downloaded on the Libra, not passed through calibre)?

None that I'm aware of, but if one exists davidfor may know about it.

In calibre the KePub is stored with the extension '.kepub', but the Kobo device doesn't recognize that. On the Kobo device you need to have the extension '.kepub.epub'.

Are images in pop-ups even supported on Kobo devices? Do they work in another KePub from Kobo (not a normal ePub, that uses a different rendering engine)?
Awesome. Thanks. I noticed that the books on the device were kepub.epub. I didn't realize calibre was renaming them transfer.

I've downloaded a bunch of free books from the official kobo store that are kobo classics. So far i've notice a few things. The table of contents is more basic, and the header and footer stat/information when reading looks correct.

I didn't notice this before, but the side loaded book converted with calibre has a weird glitch with the header info as well. It will sometimes show the chapter name and pages or percent depending on the setting, but as you read, the chapter name will dispensary after you change pages, and the numbers are super inconsistent.

If I read chapter XIII and read a few pages and then back up a few pages to the end of chapter XII, it will actually jump back to an earlier chapter. I'm starting to wonder if it is mostly due to the book and/or conversion. Almost as though certain sections of the book don't have a clear formatting and that is causing issues? But then it is working at the moment. After flipping through pages back and forth through the whole book it just randomly "fixed" itself and is now working even where it wasn't before.

The header is still wonky, but the bookmarks appear to be working. So i have no idea what causes the issue in the first place.
luisdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #396
giddie
giddie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
I've tried to be explicit about the importance of keeping a non-KePub format in your calibre library.
Thanks; I'm talking exclusively about the situation where the original file is a kepub, due to having bought it from Kobo. I don't keep conversions around - I use the extended driver for that But I *do* need to make modifications now and then to fix broken formatting, hence the original question about opening kepubs in the editor. I think from now on I'll just keep these with the epub extension in Calibre to make editing easier and trust the extended driver to skip conversion 👍

Many thanks to you and davidfor for the clarifications, and your work on the plugins.
giddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #397
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
Good question. I don't know. First time I stumble on this case. So how can I stop the popup. Ideas anyone?

In fact I get the text in the popup and have to use the more option to get a view of the note page full screen.

(Adding) Sorry I jump over jackie_w respond before writing this message..
Old 07-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #398
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Good question. I don't know. First time I stumble on this case. So how can I stop the popup. Ideas anyone?

In fact I get the text in the popup and have to use the more option to get a view of the note page full screen.

(Adding) Sorry I jump over jackie_w respond before writing this message..
For that specific eBook, read it in ePub and you won't get any popups.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #399
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For that specific eBook, read it in ePub and you won't get any popups.
Drastic isn't it.

May be I should try to change the picture endnote to unique files and TOC style links to file. I'm a little reticent to do it there's a lot of them.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #400
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Drastic isn't it.

May be I should try to change the picture endnote to unique files and TOC style links to file. I'm a little reticent to do it there's a lot of them.
Not drastic at all. Sensible really and the easiest solution.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #401
jiembe
Zealot

Limited title size

I ask somewhere (can't find it) as a side question (I think) why kobo limited the title font size in the the title page to 2em. I tough it was due to the device. But comparing epub file with the resulting kepub file I note the size is reduced during conversion:

original stylesheet

.titre {
display: block;
font-size: 3em;
margin: 0 0 10% 0;
}

resulting kepub

.titre {
font-size: 2em;
line-height: 1.2;
margin: 0 0 10%
}

Why is it happening ?

(Adding) I just try 4em and get the same result 2em.

Last edited by jiembe; 07-14-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:27 AM   #402
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I ask somewhere (can't find it) as a side question (I think) why kobo limited the title font size in the the title page to 2em. I tough it was due to the device. But comparing epub file with the resulting kepub file I note the size is reduced during conversion:

original stylesheet

.titre {
}

resulting kepub

.titre {
}

Why is it happening ?

This isn't being done by the Kepub output plugin directly. The plugin uses the ePub output plugin for most of the conversion. Then it applies the spans and other kepub specific changes. A change like this is being done by the epub part of the conversion. I just checked by doing an epub-to-epub conversion and saw exactly the same change. There should be an option to prevent it from happening, but, I don't do enough conversions to be sure of the options.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:45 AM   #403
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

original stylesheet

.titre {
}

resulting kepub

.titre {
}

Why is it happening ?

It is your settings in Calibre. I used your original CSS style and after the ePub to ePub conversion I ended up with...
Code:
.titre {
    font-weight: bold;
    line-height: 1;
    margin-bottom: 10%;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0
    }
I don't know which setting it is. But I'll have a look and see what I can find.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:30 AM   #404
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One thing I have turned off (checked) in Preferences > Common Options > Look & Feel is Disable font size rescaling. That might do it for your font size problem.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #405
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I have turned off (checked) in Preferences > Common Options > Look & Feel is Disable font size rescaling. That might do it for your font size problem.
Sorry. I don't find this option. Is it in Calibre Preference or else?

OK Found it. Thanks