Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
arrabaraba
arrabaraba began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Fetch & display custom content via WiFi?

Hello!

I'll shortly buy an eink-based, WiFi-enabled Kindle or just an eink display + micro computer. I'm wondering whether the rooted Kindle can give me the functionality I need for my home project.

If I root a Kindle, will I be able to:
  1. connect to my house password-protected WiFi,
  2. programatically fetch some formatted text content with low-res images from some source (e.g. website),
  3. display the contents on Kindle screen and leaving the content visible even, when the device sleeps?

I basically want to turn on the screen, put some text on it, then turn it off again until the contents change again.
Is this possible?

Last edited by arrabaraba; 03-14-2017 at 06:16 AM.
arrabaraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Try reading this thread (and the readme file at the link contained):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=10
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
arrabaraba

Oh yeah, that use-case is pretty similar to mine.
Thanks!

Now to buy a cheap Kindle and try it out!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At the very end of the README.md file is a link back into this forum.
The link is to peterson's work on fetching a generated page (current weather conditions) once every 2 hours.

That may also contain useful stuff.

Buy the Kindle soon, before they start shipping with firmware 5.8.8 (unless you love working with the serial port to jailbreak it).
Old 03-15-2017, 04:41 AM   #5
arrabaraba

I intend to buy an older, possibly used model.
Hopefully that wont be an issue then.

I will buy a KT2 (basic kindle 7th gen). Probably with ads.

Last edited by arrabaraba; 03-15-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: more info
Advert
Old 03-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrabaraba View Post
I intend to buy an older, possibly used model.
Hopefully that wont be an issue then.

I will buy a KT2 (basic kindle 7th gen). Probably with ads.
More likely that a used machine is running 5.8.8, because it has been in use since the updated was pushed.

With a new machine, since it has not been used, it has not had a chance to update.
Stores (including Amazon's) have not yet exhausted their stock of pre-5.8.8 Kindles.

And buying from a store is a better choice because of the "30 day, no questions, return policy" that Amazon pushes.
If the Kindle does arrive with 5.8.8, immediately send it back and order from a different seller.

- - - - -

No ads.
The screen saver add-in will not work with ads.

Last edited by knc1; 03-15-2017 at 08:54 AM.