Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Kindle active content on Amazon - why cannot buy it?

Hi there!

I have KPW2 and I was trying to install some games/apps on my kindle like chess or sudoku. I see there are some titles on Amazon website, e.g. from Oak games Limited but I cannot buy any of them... The massage says "This title is not currently available for purchase"

Is there some other source/website i could use, preferably without applying any complicated changes to my device?

Many Thanks!
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Those older games wont work on PW. They stopped them at K3.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Those older games wont work on PW. They stopped them at K3.
Not true at all. Many of the "apps" currently available work on devices up to and including the 6th Gen PW (PW2)

SnowRipple are you in the US? IIRC active content was a US only (UK too maybe?) thing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not true at all. Many of the "apps" currently available work on devices up to and including the 6th Gen PW (PW2)

SnowRipple are you in the US? IIRC active content was a US only (UK too maybe?) thing.
Currently I am in Switzerland, but my Amzaon account and Kindle are registered in UK. When I click the link you've provided above I get "Your search did not match any products." from Amazon. Does it show some apps/games on your end?
Old 12-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, it shows the active content for sale (& some free) in the US Kindle store. Like I said at one time active content was US only and I don't know if that ever changed before Amazon basically killed it off.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #6
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3 + Kindle keyboard
Well, have a look at this topic:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=274271

The basic conclusions are the following:

If you wanna try these apps you should get a Kindle Keyboard (as most of the active content apps are compatible with that). Kindle 4 or 5 are also OK for this purpose, but there are some apps like Inheritance which are sticked to a physical keyboard.

Some of these apps are created for the touch versions but honestly I can't tell any example when the touchscreen can come in handy by these apps.

When you buy any Kindle other than Kindle Keyboard, then bear in mind that you can come across incompatibility issues. There are approx. 400 apps available in Kindle Store and about the 20% of them are not available for any US accounts either! From the remainder just only a few are not compatible with Keyboard. But much more are not compatible with Paperwhite or Kindle 4 or 5!

Secondly, use a US account. You don't have to be in the USA, just create a US account, so that you can list these apps and hopefully buy them.

Also set the country in the store settings to USA. This determines what you'll see in the Kindle Store.
ntamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
SnowRipple
Zealot

Thanks ntamas!

After couple of hours of fiddling with Amazon, I created a dummy US account, changed shop to US, deregistered and registered my PW2 to new account and it works!

So far all free applications and sudoku and chess work great!

My Kindle got new life! Many Thanks!

Btw I see that you can download applications in azw format using usb cable, so it seems that anyone with this file can play these games.

If someone has some other kindle active content games/application maybe we could swap?
Old 12-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If someone has some other kindle active content games/application maybe we could swap?
Hehe! No. The azw2 files are also copyprotected so you can't just copy them to another Kindle and run them. Though you can, but you can't start any of them.

What I have found out is that these files are actually zip files containing java class applet parts but so far I haven't been able to decompile them unfortunately.

And if you compare two azw2 files with the same content but downloaded to different Kindles you'll find out that only the Kindlet.data file is different.

But somehow if you could decompile the whole code, you would be able to compile it again and have it run as a developer app.

Otherwise the only way to transfer these apps between Kindles is to register your Kindle to an account with already purchased apps, so your unique Kindlet.data will be correct for that particular device.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
dontcarewho007
dontcarewho007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2i
can i manually transfer kindle active contents..? is there any other sites which offer free downloads other then amazon
dontcarewho007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:44 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcarewho007 View Post
can i manually transfer kindle active contents..? is there any other sites which offer free downloads other then amazon
I don't think so.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
rioachim
Enthusiast
rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PW2
Active Content can be bought if you set a dummy US address as the Country setting in Manage your content and devices section. If buying many apps at once, you might get a warning from Amazon asking you to confirm your US address. Better use an US proxy. Some apps are free, you can see the price after the Country change.

The last compatible device is PW2. You can transfer all compatible active content on any compatible device you log in to. Afterwards you can log out on that device and the apps will still work. In every app's page you can see the device compatibility list.

For me active content is great, I bought another PW2 as a spare especially for this, as I have around 40 purchased titles.
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #12
ntamas
Zealot

rioachim:

Are there any apps apart from this one that won't run on Kindle Keyboard?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #13
nharvey
nharvey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
IF you find a way to get ahold of a file, you should just be able to drop it on your kindle via USB.

I was able to do this with the Kindle Javascript shell (very dangerous), but when I tried to open it on the kindle it said it wasn't compatible. So basically YMMV.
nharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
nharvey
nharvey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I believe you can, if you can only get ahold of the file (which I haven't been able to do). If you do come up with a file somehow, you should be able to drop it on to the kindle via USB.
nharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #15
ntamas
Zealot

Yes you are right in regard to the copying but since the azw2 files are copyprotected zip files you won't be able to use them on other Kindle ereaders than the one you bought them for, though you can copy them to any other Kindle ereaders but of course they won't work.