Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Moonreader

I downloaded it, and then tried to open some files. I opened the files, but there were no "pages," just scrolled HTML-like screens. I also got error messages that said something like File Unknown--Passion. (Yes, Passion.) I'm going to go and read up on Moonreader on a laptop, but if someone can explain what "Passion" means--in the android sense--and I ain't talking Data or Lore--I'd sure appreciate it.
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Maybe it's a little mixed up and wants breakfast at Tiffany's
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Je te le jure. I wasn't even drinking.

In fact, I downloaded the King James Bible from the Gutenberg Project, and it opened fine, but I was waiting for those beautiful paper-graphic pages to turn, and all it did was scroll down in rich text format. So I stuck some EPUBs on my SD card and will see if they look like paper. The odd thing is that there are videos about Moonreader on Youtube, but they're all in Russian.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'm afraid you will have to go into those menus you hate and adjust how Moonreader behaves.

Did you buy the Pro version or download the free version? Pro has the text to speech (TTS) function, as I understand it, whereas the free version (which I have, being cheap and not caring about being read to) doesn't.

-----I would put in some cool smiley faces but too tired-----
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I'm afraid you will have to go into those menus you hate and adjust how Moonreader behaves.
Sacre bleu! Filark, it took me an HOUR to even LOCATE the file, which I finally located--on my SD card? In my liberry? WHERE? Oh dear, this device is taking up far too much of my time.

1) How do you just, simply, easily, close out a Moonreader book and open a new one? There is no options menu (or for that matter context menu)? I kept opening to the Bible and the Book of Ruth? I almost sent my soul to hell because of cursing at my PE All I wanted to do was close it, but--where's the close command?

2) When I finally and accidentally located my EPUB, it opened with the page-turner working, but no nice parchment background. Do you have to buy it for it to look nice?

3) Why should I buy it if it can't even recognize my SD card files?

I'm just exasperated. Just ignore me and I'll go away.

(Oh, ha ha--my laptop must be possessed. The windows "finger" right now, as I type this, is beside this reply pointing up Santa's nose, directly adjacent to the smiley giving the finger. Ha ha. Guess I should chill out.)
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Maybe it's a little mixed up and wants breakfast at Tiffany's
Okay. When I tried to open a DOCX file, I got "unsupported file -- passion." If PEs let you take screen shots, I'd take one.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hilary, forgive me if this is too simple for you (I suspect by now you are a much more sophisticated user than you let on . . . ), but here is what (little!) I know to do in Moonreader:

Open Moonreader+. It should show your last page read. Push the Menu button. This brings up a top row with a download button (gets you into file explorer to load your next book), the title, % read and a percentage slider (presumably for moving around in the book -- I don't want to try it ). Also you get a bottom row of icons, including -- left to right -- the orientation switcher (), night/day toggle, an auto-scroll starter, a bookmark finder icon (note to self -- must learn more about this!), a table of contents icon, and a settings icon. Tap any of these for its functions and when you are done you will be back to your reading view.

Tapping the Settings icon gets you into a world of menus. I was suggesting you explore these menus (visual options, control options, miscellaneous, themes, more operations, about Moon+ Reader, and exit reader) to find what you like about the application. For instance, I like the gradations of blue with a white tree in the bottom right corner for my day screen. I made it a theme, overwriting the old day theme, and now when I switch from day to night to day I come back to my favorite blue. I also told the program (app -- sorry!) to let me change font sizes by scrolling up or down the far right side and to change brightness by scrolling the left side.

That's probably enough verbiage from me! Let me know if any of it is helpful.

Last edited by Filark; 01-28-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Filark--Quick note early Sunday mornin' to say Thanks! See, the poster who said you don't have to "learn" Android is wrong. I keep thinking (and looking for) Windows-style commands and operations: such as OPEN and CLOSE. I will try this later today and see if I can jump from poor Ruth, before she met Boaz, and my potboiler EPUB

Uh-Oh. I just realized that this is where I got in trouble in the first place, because of the three choices of file sources, my SD card appeared in none of them. Will work on it. Perhaps you can tell me how I can "Copy" my SD card contents to the Library? In any event you helped me articulate a problem. There are so many endless places where you can find or look for files. At least there seem so many. The Android Guide didn't address this at all. Okay-- Later!

Last edited by hilaryfrompa; 01-29-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Added To Response
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
I find the Moon Reader+ very hard to use when it comes to finding a book file that was transferred to the device. Very frustrating trying to figure out and very time consuming.

Once a book is finally open and in use this thing is a thing of beauty - just a perfect reading experience.

One thing I have learned to do is to not "back out" of the MoonReader when done, but to double-click my way back to my Android home screen (go from the book to totally out of the program in one move), that is one sure way of ensuring that when I re-open the reader, my last page read will immediately open without having to go through multiple menus to get to it.

I'm using in on a rooted Nook Tablet and maybe my issues are related to the hardware I am using.
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf4 View Post
I find the Moon Reader+ very hard to use when it comes to finding a book file that was transferred to the device. Very frustrating trying to figure out and very time consuming.

Once a book is finally open and in use this thing is a thing of beauty - just a perfect reading experience.

One thing I have learned to do is to not "back out" of the MoonReader when done, but to double-click my way back to my Android home screen (go from the book to totally out of the program in one move), that is one sure way of ensuring that when I re-open the reader, my last page read will immediately open without having to go through multiple menus to get to it.
Yes! This is exactly the way I was using or trying to use it. Actually, it's the way I finally found my epub file. Thank you for this tip.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Another book-reader app that works well for me with epubs is Aldiko. If I remember correctly (it's been awhile) you import them into Aldiko, and then they show up on your shelf, so you just open them from there. I've had good luck with it keeping my place in books. I'm not sure if the most recent version of the app worked (I can look this up later if needed.) Good luck!
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Reporting back about Aldiko. The latest Market version did not install successfully, but this one did:
http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...ader_1.2.6.apk
I like this as an Android epub reader.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote