Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #46
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
I have a Mac Mini 2018 (without the M1 chip) so what is the best configuration I can use? I haven't updated to Big Sur yet..Do I need to update to Big Sur and also update Calibre, K4Mac and Alf?
If your current set up is working, there is no need to do anything. As they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

(Most of these discussions are for people who are contemplating updating to Big Sur or Calibre 5, or have already done so.)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #47
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
If your current set up is working, there is no need to do anything. As they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

(Most of these discussions are for people who are contemplating updating to Big Sur or Calibre 5, or have already done so.)
I usually like to update especially as new computer but was waiting in case any issues. So maybe my question should have been, if I upgrade to Big Sur, what versions do calibre, K4Mac and Alf need to be for everything to work? Or am I better to wait more?

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:27 PM   #48
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
I usually like to update especially as new computer but was waiting in case any issues. So maybe my question should have been, if I upgrade to Big Sur, what versions do calibre, K4Mac and Alf need to be for everything to work? Or am I better to wait more?
Ah. Well, some Big Sur users have been successful, others have not; so it might be better to wait, unless you're feeling lucky
Old 12-01-2020, 08:00 AM   #49
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I've installed Calibre 4.23 and Alf 6.81. That works on my Intel Big Sur. I have not been able to get books DeDRM'ed with Calibre 5.x and Alf 7, no matter what I try!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #50
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I've installed Calibre 4.23 and Alf 6.81. That works on my Intel Big Sur. I have not been able to get books DeDRM'ed with Calibre 5.x and Alf 7, no matter what I try!
What version K4Mac worked with Calibre 4.23 and Alf 6.81? And which version(s) did you try with Calibre 5.x and Alf 7?

Also, are you using Method 2 (chmod -x) or Method 4 (KFX)?

Thank you!
Old 12-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #51
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have K4Mac 1.30 now. This version works with Calibre 4.23 and Alf 6.81.

With Calibre 5.x and Alf 7, I tried K4Mac 1.26 and 1.30.

I am using Method 2 (chmod -x)!

Edit: For the sake of anyone new to this show, I'm using a MacBook Air (Intel version) with the Big Sur OS...

Last edited by downeaster59; 12-01-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #52
odamizu
just an egg

Thank you, downeaster59!

Looks like the v7 beta still needs work, but it's great to get multiple confirmations that K4Mac 1.30.0 + Alf 6.8.1 is working on Big Sur, at least on Intel Macs.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #53
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Thank you, downeaster59!

Looks like the v7 beta still needs work, but it's great to get multiple confirmations that K4Mac 1.30.0 + Alf 6.8.1 is working on Big Sur, at least on Intel Macs.
Now this is strange! I installed Calibre 4.23 and Alf 6.8.1 on my Intel Mac running Big Sur, but left Calibre 5.6 installed. I called the Calibre 4.23 app 'Calibre 2'. It worked fine, and works fine.

Today, I checked out my Calibre 5.6 app. The Alf v7 beta 3 wasn't in the list of installed plugins. I reinstalled it. Lo and behold, the DeDRM works!!! I know I had Alf v7 installed there before. Why Calibre 5.6 works now, I do not know. But it works!
Old 12-04-2020, 12:55 AM   #54
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
... Today, I checked out my Calibre 5.6 app. The Alf v7 beta 3 wasn't in the list of installed plugins. I reinstalled it. Lo and behold, the DeDRM works!!! I know I had Alf v7 installed there before. Why Calibre 5.6 works now, I do not know. But it works!
That's EXCELLENT! Thanks for the report!