Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Internal TOC Links in Sony readers

I have formatted and uploaded to the forum a few ePub ebooks - for example The Woman in White and The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. Each of the ebooks has a Table of Contents, with links from the TOC to the relevant part of the ebook.

When reading the ebooks with my Cybook Gen3 or ECO reader the links work - that is, I can select the links and it will take me to the relevant section. But with my Sony 650 they don't work. The text is greyed and underlined, and turns black when I press on it, but nothing else happens and I don't go forward to the part of the book I want.

The touch screen does work, or at least I was able to select the font size I want.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there something wrong with my reader? I really would be most grateful if someone could download one of these ebooks to check if the TOC links work on your reader. They both have illustrations and are quite big; The Moonstone is the smaller of the two.

If the links work on your reader but not on mine then obviously there is something wrong with my reader. And if they don't work on your reader either then why don't the links work on a Sony reader when they do on my Cybook? Some of my other ebooks have footnotes, and presumably they won't work either.

Regards, Alex

Last edited by AlexBell; 09-23-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
I tried the Moonstone (from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97437) and the TOC links work fine on my 650.

I have found links in general to be a bit fiddly on the 650 though - if I press them for too long they highlight rather than activating the link. I've adjusted to tapping them quickly and lightly, and my fingertip is usually not accurate enough: it's easier with the stylus than by fingertip.
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks so much pikelet, that's most helpful and a great relief. I'm beginning to think that it is a problem in my reader; I've tested both books on the computer desktop using the Sony Reader software (which now opens all epubs on my computer) and the links work well.

I'll try your idea of tapping quickly and lightly with the stylus, and if the links still don't work I'll take it back to where I bought it this afternoon and ask for a replacement or a refund. I'm so glad I waited until I could buy it from a store rather than buy it over the internet.

Regards, Alex
Old 09-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks again, pikelet. Using your advice seems to have solved my problems. I looked for a footnote also and that works too.

But on the other hand I found a couple of typos.

Regards, Alex