Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
A Sad Day, Random Screen Breakage

Ah dear, I love my little sony reader, but 3 days ago I turned it on having left it on my bedside table to see the screen had broken at the top and wasn't showing properly.

The device was covered in a silicon skin, Hardback leather M-Edge case and screen protector and remained perfectly stationary overnight, it looks like the random screen break has struck again.

Having had a nosey around some forums, I pretty much resigned myself to paying Sony to fix the device for a smudge under the full retail, knowing full well that they'll blame the damage on me, even though I did nothing to abuse the device and have been treating it like a newborn child.

First Call to Play.com and they refused to do anything and told me to report to Sony as it wasn't their responsibility.

Second Call to Play.com armed with Sales of Goods Act 1979, stating that they MUST be responsible to fix or replace ANY item brough from them within the last 7 YEARS. And suddenly a change of stance, a full refund. Job Done.

A real shame I have to replace this little device, and a shame Play.com weren't as supportive as the legally must be, but with a bit of legal remindind I dont think I'm in a bad place. So a message to all on this forum who might be going through the same thing.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
First I've heard of the expression "random screen breakage".

I am glad that you're getting a full refund.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
First I've heard of the expression "random screen breakage".

I am glad that you're getting a full refund.
Then I'm pleased to coin the phrase, but sadly I'm very much not unique. there is a whole host of people claiming a broken screen with no trauma to the device prior to breaking.

http://www.teleread.org/2008/07/23/s...-screen-break/

I suspect that this is just the way of eReaders at the moment, and until metal-foil displays start becoming the standard they will remain to be fragile little beasts, although Im stumped as to why mine personaly broke, other than a clumsy Mr Sandman.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote