Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Question NIV Bible

After having some issues with the NIV bible I downloaded from Sony, I thought I would do a search here. It turns out that I am not alone when I think the navigation is very poor. Sherman has a REALLY well done KJV with an AWESOME TOC. I grabbed it, but the truth is, I prefer to read the NIV. So, I downloaded the Sony version.

With the knowledge that I would simply have to bear the navigation of the Sony ePUB, something even more terrible happened today. While in church, the pastor was sharing about Jacob and Esau. Braving the giggle from my wife as I pulled out my new PRS-600, I navigated to Genesis 33. As I was reading, I saw a VERY unusual anomaly in a passage. This is what the Sony eBook says:

Quote:
Gen 33:13 But Jacob said to him, "My LORD knows that the children are tender and that I must care for the ewes and cows that are nursing their young. If they are driven hard just one day, all the animals will die. 14 So let my LORD go on ahead of his servant, while I move along slowly at the pace of the droves before me and that of the children, until I come to my LORD in Seir."
The bold emphasis is wrong -- VERY wrong. This following, via BibleGateway.co, is correct with emphasis added again:

Quote:
Gen 33:13 But Jacob said to him, "My lord knows that the children are tender and that I must care for the ewes and cows that are nursing their young. If they are driven hard just one day, all the animals will die. 14 So let my lord go on ahead of his servant, while I move along slowly at the pace of the droves before me and that of the children, until I come to my lord in Seir."
For those who aren't aware, when you see LORD in all caps, it indicates God's name -- Yahweh. When you see lord in lower case, that is a term meaning the following: a person who has authority, control, or power over others; a master, chief, or ruler.

This totally destroys my trust in this eBook now. What else is wrong could be wrong? I personally think the Bible is very important and seeing this confusion in the text is a terrible thing.

I am going to contact All4Fun and see if his NIV Bible straight from the publisher has this problem also. Ugh.

With all that said, does anyone have any advice on where I can get a usable NIV bible that doesn't have the problem that this Sony edition has?

Last edited by bakura82; 02-28-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added some links.
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I have been on the look out for a nice NIV study bible eBook as well. But I have had no luck.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I agree. That should not be. Thanks for making us aware of that too.

Me too here. Still finding a good NIV Bible.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That's a very serious problem with the text. I'd ask Sony for a refund.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That's a very serious problem with the text. I'd ask Sony for a refund.
It's not Sony's fault. The error is in the original Zondervan mobipocket version - if I remember rightly I bought mine directly from Zondervan.

We should let Zondervan know directly. The error is not found in my wife's large print version.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
It's not Sony's fault. The error is in the original Zondervan mobipocket version - if I remember rightly I bought mine directly from Zondervan.

We should let Zondervan know directly. The error is not found in my wife's large print version.

Regards, Alex
Are you able to verify for me that the problem is in fact in the Zondervan version? I am already talking to Sony, but I have to go through some hoops first. I am going to recommend that they remove the product because for anyone who cares about the accuracy of the text (I would assume most every Bible reader), then they shouldn't sell this. After that, I am going to contact Zondervan. I wonder if the B&N version has this problem too. If I recall right, they all have different ISBN's...
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
bakura82
Zealot

So, I contacted Sony this morning. They claim that they will refund me. I also asked them to take the book down for now, but I don't think they will, which is sad.

I have also contacted Zondervan to let them know. Who knows what's going to happen there.

I think I will leave a warning review on the Sony store later (when I am not connected to the net via VPN/Proxy... apparently the Reader Library doesn't like that).

Last edited by bakura82; 03-01-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Sorry Bakura82 for only responding now...

Yes, my epub version of the NIV Bible directly from Zondervan has the same error with lord in ALL CAPS.

Last edited by All4Fun; 03-01-2010 at 08:47 PM.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
Sorry Bakura82 for only responding now...

Yes, my epub version of the NIV Bible directly from Zondervan has the same error with lord in ALL CAPS.
No problem. Once I get I actually get a reply, I will let them know that it is in their version too. Not cool, but stuff happens...
Old 03-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakura82 View Post
No problem. Once I get I actually get a reply, I will let them know that it is in their version too. Not cool, but stuff happens...
It is common to have Lord in small-caps when it refers to deity. Perhaps that is what they are doing and the ePUB rendering engine is not honoring it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
KNotTed
KNotTed is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
Except the issue here is that it is not referring to the deity, but to, e.g. someone's superior.
KNotTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNotTed View Post
Except the issue here is that it is not referring to the deity, but to, e.g. someone's superior.
Sounds like someone must have gotten carried away with the use of the caps. That is certainly not how it is defined in the translators preface.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone had any success with emailing Zondervan about this problem? I'm just getting a runaround about them needing more information - ISBN etc.

Regards, Alex
Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
bakura82
Zealot

I have only recieved the following from Zondervan when I brought it up:
Quote:
I apologize for your disappointment with your NIV bible download.

In our continuing effort to produce quality eBooks and Bible eBooks, we are working on an improved version of the NIV text the eBook format. However, this is an unfortunate error with the font and the download file is in the process of being corrected.

Thank you for contacting Zondervan,
Melissa
I wrote again asking them to remove it from their site for now, resubmit the new version to their distributors, and reissue the new file to anyone who already purchased it. No response though. :/

As for Sony, they refunded me my money, which is good. However, they have yet to respond to the same requests I sent Zondervan. Not only that, I review the book in the Sony store and put a warning to all users, but Sony screens them and has yet to post it.

I am pretty frustrated by this. It's one thing if the book was fiction. However, a lot of people base their life off of this book. It's a little more important than fiction. I wish they would just do this right.

I have absolutely no word on when the corrections will actually be made.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, Bakura82. You got a better response than I did, but as you say there is no indication as to when the error will be corrected.

Regards, Alex

Tags
bible, navigation, niv, problems, wrong