Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Something different than Microsoft Office

Hi all,

Not really sure where to put this question so will put it where I spend most of my time when I'm here. I wonder if anyone could recommend to me a free program that will open doc and excel files? I'm having issues with my Microsoft Office at the moment and wondered if there is something else that will open both. I know AbiWord will open doc files but I'm guessing not Excel files. I want something that will do both.

Thanks.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Have you looked at Open Office?(free) I don't have it right now and I can't remember everything it opens, but I think it does all the Microsoft formats.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Open Office is your answer...
http://openoffice.pro-2010.com/openo....php?pflow=icc
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Definitely Open Office. I've been using it for over 15 years now (it was Star Office then, owned by a German company, but I digress). OO is available for Windows, DOS, Mac, Linux, Solaris, AIX and probably whatever Klingon computers run.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Hi all,

Not really sure where to put this question so will put it where I spend most of my time when I'm here. I wonder if anyone could recommend to me a free program that will open doc and excel files? I'm having issues with my Microsoft Office at the moment and wondered if there is something else that will open both. I know AbiWord will open doc files but I'm guessing not Excel files. I want something that will do both.

Thanks.
Open Office 3.2 from OPENOFFICE.ORG
I suggest using only "Official" repositories", especially if using Windows.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks.
An alternative is the shareware program Atlantis Word Processor. It may not be just what you want. There's a $35 registration fee and all it does is word processing, and it doesn't have all of Open Office's bells and whistles, but some professional writers enthuse over it and it has an option to save documents in ePub format for easy use on your book reader.

There is an ongoing discussion about it over here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=atlantis
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Thanks all! I'll just go for OpenOffice as it sounds like what I'm looking for.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote