Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #23806
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I hope you feel better soon, Iridal and ProfCrash.

Coke Zero #2 already! I might be slipping....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #23807
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Mint tea in my cup.

If anyone is interested in the first floor plans our architect gave us: https://plus.google.com/photos/10292...Nz5r8WAtJaT1wE

We have to choose which one is our favourite but it's so hard! So if you do look at them and something incredibly stupid catches your eye, tell me
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #23808
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
If anyone is interested in the first floor plans our architect gave us: https://plus.google.com/photos/10292...Nz5r8WAtJaT1wE

We have to choose which one is our favourite but it's so hard! So if you do look at them and something incredibly stupid catches your eye, tell me
I like V001f and g because they give you a little area at the front with a bike shed/area. This seems a much better idea than bringing the bikes into the house. Also, I don't know how busy your street is/will be, but I think that having a little area between your house and the street is a good idea. (& your plot is quite long? Is there a limit on how far back from the front of the plot you're allowed to build?)

I don't like the long corridor downstairs in V001d, or the very open plan kitchen/dining/livingroom

V001f I like , except for the lack of cupboard space upstairs. Perhaps you could get them to make the upstairs main bedroom the size of the one in v001g, leaving room for some cupboards in the front upstairs study area against the bathroom wall.

Do take your time at this stage! Time spent in planning now will save lots of time and money later.

Still Coke Zero #2 in my cup.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #23809
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Mint tea in my cup.

It's going to be very much down to your personal preferences, but for what it's worth, here are my comments:

b-alt - it appears to have only a shower and no bath. Not a problem for me as I always shower, but would be for my wife and kids. I think I prefer this layout of the main living area (downstairs?) though, where the kitchen is, and the bigger open plan space.

d - there is only one toilet in the house, which would be a problem longer term, I think?

f - ok, but no shower. You could have one over the bath, I guess.

g - same comment as f, except I prefer where the kitchen area is, although smaller, as it is more out of the way of the main room space downstairs.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #23810
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I like V001f and g because they give you a little area at the front with a bike shed/area. This seems a much better idea than bringing the bikes into the house. Also, I don't know how busy your street is/will be, but I think that having a little area between your house and the street is a good idea. (& your plot is quite long? Is there a limit on how far back from the front of the plot you're allowed to build?)
That's something we really like as well. It's not a busy street, but it's a lot safer anyway when the kids step out the door and have to cross a little 'lawn' first before they get to the street.

We asked for a bike storage space, but now that we see the size on the drawings we worry that it's a good idea in theory but won't be used when we actually move in?

Another problem with this one is that the municipality might not approve. We have to build completely at the front of the lot so we really 'close the row of houses'. And if we build two big walls (one at the front of the garden and then one for the house), we'll lose all the light at the front of the house.

Quote:
I don't like the long corridor downstairs in V001d, or the very open plan kitchen/dining/livingroom
I actually like this one. It's a great way to take trash, materials, bikes, ... outside without having to go through the living areas. We have a rowhouse, so we can't just go around the house to take the trash out. One thing we thought about was moving the bike area to the back of the house, than you can use the hallway to take the bikes to the back.

The open plan living area is something we really want and specifically asked for

Quote:
V001f I like , except for the lack of cupboard space upstairs. Perhaps you could get them to make the upstairs main bedroom the size of the one in v001g, leaving room for some cupboards in the front upstairs study area against the bathroom wall.
V001f en V001g are our favourites right now. We would probably go with a mix of the two. The bathroom will probably have to be a bit bigger if we want two kids. We would definitely make our room a little smaller than they drew it. We use it to sleep, if it's big enough for our bed and closets, we're happy.

Quote:
Do take your time at this stage! Time spent in planning now will save lots of time and money later.
Oh, we definitely will! We are asking anyone and everyone for advice, and talking about it every night.

Second cup of tea is gone. Time for another!

Last edited by Iridal; 02-27-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #23811
Iridal
Mysteriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
It's going to be very much down to your personal preferences, but for what it's worth, here are my comments:

b-alt - it appears to have only a shower and no bath. Not a problem for me as I always shower, but would be for my wife and kids. I think I prefer this layout of the main living area (downstairs?) though, where the kitchen is, and the bigger open plan space.
We would definitely need a bath! I can't imagine living without one Our only problem is the sitting are at the front of the house. We want it at the back, near the garden. And we think it's illogical to move the dining area away from the kitchen.

Quote:
d - there is only one toilet in the house, which would be a problem longer term, I think?
Definitely a problem that they'll have to sort out! We noticed too

Quote:
f - ok, but no shower. You could have one over the bath, I guess.
There is a shower in this one. It's hidden behind the toilet area.

Quote:
g - same comment as f, except I prefer where the kitchen area is, although smaller, as it is more out of the way of the main room space downstairs.
The kitchen will be bigger than it's drawn right now. We like this one best so far, the reading/playing area at the front of the house is fun too!

Quote:
Definitely, but sometimes we don't see things that other people with more life experience do notice. At the end we'll have to choose, but it can't hurt to ask other people's opinion.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the feedback
Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #23812
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
What he said Although I think Stitchawl has another urge to scratch in mind than scratching itching hands ...
Gosh! What I meant was 'Love Conquers All!' What did you mean?

I really like the open space feeling myself. You can always add 'visual dividers' should you decide to split the space later. As a practitioner of Feng Shui, there are several small changes I would look at.
1.The biggest is the direction that the entrance faces. I don't know your birthdays but you can always look up your 'Nien Yen' and 'Sheng Chi' directions to find out which will be most auspicious for you. 5000 yrs of Chinese study went into the planning.
2. Next, it is considered to be bad luck to have the front door facing the stairs. All your 'good Qi' will rush right through the house, down the stairs, and out the door before it has a chance to bring you peace, harmony, and good luck.

I follow 'Pa Kua' Feng Shui, while my wife favors 'Nine Star Qi' Feng Shui. In today's modern world, more and more people have switched to 'Black Hat' Feng Shui, but remember that Feng Shui isn't religious. It's nothing more than maintaining harmony between the elements of nature... and you! A little extra harmony (and good luck) never hurt anyone.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #23813
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Mint tea in my cup.

I really prefer the more open plans. They work best for entertaining and letting children run wild. Is that a patio where the bikes are in V001g and others? If so I like that better also then having the bikes come in.

Where is the street? Where are your neighbors? How big is the yard?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #23814
stampede
stampede began at the beginning.

Device: none
Drinking soup...
stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #23815
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampede View Post
Drinking soup...
What flavour?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #23816
Iridal
Mysteriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Gosh! What I meant was 'Love Conquers All!' What did you mean?
Euhm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I really like the open space feeling myself. You can always add 'visual dividers' should you decide to split the space later. As a practitioner of Feng Shui, there are several small changes I would look at.
1.The biggest is the direction that the entrance faces. I don't know your birthdays but you can always look up your 'Nien Yen' and 'Sheng Chi' directions to find out which will be most auspicious for you. 5000 yrs of Chinese study went into the planning.
2. Next, it is considered to be bad luck to have the front door facing the stairs. All your 'good Qi' will rush right through the house, down the stairs, and out the door before it has a chance to bring you peace, harmony, and good luck.

I follow 'Pa Kua' Feng Shui, while my wife favors 'Nine Star Qi' Feng Shui. In today's modern world, more and more people have switched to 'Black Hat' Feng Shui, but remember that Feng Shui isn't religious. It's nothing more than maintaining harmony between the elements of nature... and you! A little extra harmony (and good luck) never hurt anyone.

Stitchawl
That sounds interesting, I'm going to do some research on this Can't really change the direction the entrance faces though, we can only come in through the front. One of the disadvantages of a row house.

After-lunch mint tea in my cup.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #23817
Iridal
Mysteriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I really prefer the more open plans. They work best for entertaining and letting children run wild. Is that a patio where the bikes are in V001g and others? If so I like that better also then having the bikes come in.

Where is the street? Where are your neighbors? How big is the yard?
It's a little front yard, but the bikes would be inside some sort of shed. I really don't want them out in the open. Otherwise they'll rust like crazy (not to mention the chance of theft).

The street is in front of the bikes. It's a row house, so neighbors directly on either side.

Our piece of land measures 7,5m wide and 91m long. The house is right at the front of our land, so our yard would be about 80m long.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #23818
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Another problem with this one is that the municipality might not approve. We have to build completely at the front of the lot so we really 'close the row of houses'. And if we build two big walls (one at the front of the garden and then one for the house), we'll lose all the light at the front of the house.
Oh, I see - it's going to be a terrace, but of individually designed houses. So there are houses to either side of you, and windows are only possible at front and back. Presumably this also means that you do have a limit on how deep the house can be.

I would hope that they would accept full-height walls to each side, but allow you to have a smaller (say 1m) wall in the front. Of course, perhaps f's enclosed but exterior bike shed with room above it will be sufficient in terms of closing the row.

In a terrace, having a corridor from front to back may well be a good plan, since there's no exterior access to the back garden. But why on the longer side of the house? Perhaps putting the corridor down the short side of the house would give more space to the rest? And with the bikes outside, there should still be enough room to get the downstairs toilet and laundry room in.

Just finished Coke Zero #3. Whoops.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #23819
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
That sounds interesting, I'm going to do some research on this Can't really change the direction the entrance faces though, we can only come in through the front. One of the disadvantages of a row house.
That's why the 'Black Hat' school of Feng Shui has become so popular, and the beauty of it. It's all based on the front door being the 'root' of the arrangements, no matter which direction it faces. No need to change anything about the door placement.

Pa Kua Feng Shui is 5,000 yrs old, but Black Hat style is only 4,000 yrs old, so still the 'new kid on the block.' I'm a tradtionalist and stick with the Pa Kua....

Just enough time for a small glass of Bombay Sapphire, then it's off to bed... er.... floor.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #23820
Iridal
Mysteriarch

Quote:
Oh, I see - it's going to be a terrace, but of individually designed houses. So there are houses to either side of you, and windows are only possible at front and back. Presumably this also means that you do have a limit on how deep the house can be.

I would hope that they would accept full-height walls to each side, but allow you to have a smaller (say 1m) wall in the front. Of course, perhaps f's enclosed but exterior bike shed with room above it will be sufficient in terms of closing the row.

In a terrace, having a corridor from front to back may well be a good plan, since there's no exterior access to the back garden. But why on the longer side of the house? Perhaps putting the corridor down the short side of the house would give more space to the rest? And with the bikes outside, there should still be enough room to get the downstairs toilet and laundry room in.

Just finished Coke Zero #3. Whoops.
I hope so too, but not every municipality is that lenient. It's a gamble if we decide to go for this idea. I really really like the bikes at the front, but right now I'm thinking it's too risky and we'll lose too much time.

The idea of the corridor front to back is really growing on me, I can really see the advantages. I was also thinking to make a bike shed in the back, and take the bikes through the corridor to the garden. Right now it's in the middle of the house. Whether you walk 4 meters through the hallway to the middle and bang the bikes into the walls while you try to get them into the storage room or walk 8 meters to the end ... It's going to be a mess anyway

Really good idea about putting the corridor on the short side of the house! Weird that we hadn't thought about that yet. But then what do you do with the tiny place at the front right? It's 2m wide and 1m long. You can't use it for anything. So maybe it is more logical to have the entrance and corridor on the long side after all ...

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?