Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2017, 04:13 AM   #1
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Talking E-reader with double-sided physical buttons?

My dad's Kindle 4 was KIA and he now wants an e-reader that has similar physical buttons that can go forward and backwards on each side, instead of either side turning pages in a single direction. He likes being able to operate the device with one hand and doesn't like tapping on a touchscreen.

So far I've only been able to find the Energy system models with this but I'm wondering if there are any others. Pocketbooks seem to have the buttons on the bottom of the device which is helpful as well.

Of course, I could technically try and find another such Kindle on eBay but since e-readers have progressed a lot since then it would be a little sad to do that.

Any suggestions?
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I believe that the InkBook Prime has back and forward buttons on both sides too.

I own an Energy Sistem Pro HD.

Unless your Dad is happy to download his Kindle books to a computer, remove the DRM and convert them to Epub, then I could not recommend the reader. The Kindle App is a terrible experience on the reader - it is slow, the text is washed out, it will not work in full screen, and the page turn buttons don't map in the app (i.e. do not work). From postings I have seen on this site and elsewhere, I am not sure the experience would be that much better on the InkBook either.

As an Epub reader, the Energy Sistem works pretty well out of the box using the basic built in reader app. Rooting it gives more functionality.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that your Dad had a Kindle, I would suggest a Kindle Voyage. That way, all of the eBooks he has will work as is.

The Voyage has buttons and a much better screen as well as a front light. And one other thing the Voyage has a complete firmware. The Kindle Touch has an incomplete firmware missing many features/options.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-24-2017 at 07:22 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that your Dad had a Kindle, I would suggest a Kindle Voyage. That way, all of the eBooks he has will work as is.

The Voyage has buttons and a much better screen as well as a front light. And one other thing the Voyage has a complete firmware. The Kindle Touch has an incomplete firmware missing many features/options.
Agree with the recommendation. However, one thing to be careful of. The page turn buttons on the voyage are not actually physical buttons. Some love them, some loathe them. I think the only current Amazon device with physical buttons is the Oasis, which fits the bill but is a little on the expensive side.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Agree with the recommendation. However, one thing to be careful of. The page turn buttons on the voyage are not actually physical buttons. Some love them, some loathe them. I think the only current Amazon device with physical buttons is the Oasis, which fits the bill but is a little on the expensive side.
Yes, I love the haptic sensors on the Voyage, but it's certainly true that they aren't to everyone's taste. Amazon have a generous return policy, though - you can return a Kindle within 30 days of purchase - so you could buy one and return it should it prove not to your Dad's liking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Sounds like a good idea. I will buy the Voyage and if he hates it I'll return it and get the energy system/inkbook prime. Luckily he mostly reads .mobi files already anyway

regards
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
Sounds like a good idea. I will buy the Voyage and if he hates it I'll return it and get the energy system/inkbook prime. Luckily he mostly reads .mobi files already anyway

regards
The problem with the Inkbook is that it doesn't use Kindle eBooks. So all of his eBooks won't work. The latest version of the Kindle Android app needs at least Android 4.4 and the Inbook comes with Android 4.2.2. So that won't work. If your father doesn't remove the DRM, then he will lose most of his eBooks. Don't go with an Inkbook unless you want to spend money just to get something for your Father that's not going to be useful.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post

regards
Given that he had an older Kindle, I cannot see him hating the Voyage. The Voyage has a nice hi-res Carta screen with a front light and it also has the full firmware instead of a castrated version. I cannot see him hating the Voyage.

Maybe he'll get used to the touch screen and not use the buttons.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #9
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
The problem with the Inkbook is that it doesn't use Kindle eBooks. So all of his eBooks won't work. The latest version of the Kindle Android app needs at least Android 4.4 and the Inbook comes with Android 4.2.2. So that won't work. If your father doesn't remove the DRM, then he will lose most of his eBooks. Don't go with an Inkbook unless you want to spend money just to get something for your Father that's not going to be useful.
It is possible to download the Kindle app from the Play store to work on 4.2.2 (I have) but, as I noted above, the Kindle app works very poorly on eink. Stick with getting a Kindle reader instead.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
It is possible to download the Kindle app from the Play store to work on 4.2.2 (I have) but, as I noted above, the Kindle app works very poorly on eink. Stick with getting a Kindle reader instead.
But that would be an older version Kindle app that can not be updated. So that's no good even if it worked ok.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Go with the oasis. I'm a button lover and it totally fits my needs. I went from a k4 to the oasis and I don't regret the money spent at all.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Forget the Oasis. It's too much money for what you don't get.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #13
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Forget the Oasis. It's too much money for what you don't get.
I disagree. The Oasis should be considered, if only for the reason that it actually fits the specification of physical buttons. Best value for money from Amazon in my opinion is far and away the Paperwhite. The Oasis is a luxury product sold at a luxury product price. If you use an ereader a great deal and like the features of the Oasis then it may well be worth it to you. My reaction when the Oasis came out was disappointment. I was hoping for a real quantum leap including a liquavista colour display. As it turns out my hopes were not exactly realistic! I was using a Voyage at that stage which I really liked and saw nothing in the Oasis to justify upgrading. When my Voyage suffered an unfortunate accident (my fault) I did purchase the Oasis, and I do not regret it. I read a great deal, and don't begrudge the luxury price, but I would not say it is great value for money.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I disagree. The Oasis should be considered, if only for the reason that it actually fits the specification of physical buttons. Best value for money from Amazon in my opinion is far and away the Paperwhite. The Oasis is a luxury product sold at a luxury product price. If you use an ereader a great deal and like the features of the Oasis then it may well be worth it to you. My reaction when the Oasis came out was disappointment. I was hoping for a real quantum leap including a liquavista colour display. As it turns out my hopes were not exactly realistic! I was using a Voyage at that stage which I really liked and saw nothing in the Oasis to justify upgrading. When my Voyage suffered an unfortunate accident (my fault) I did purchase the Oasis, and I do not regret it. I read a great deal, and don't begrudge the luxury price, but I would not say it is great value for money.
I have to disagree about the Oasis. I think it's design is awful. I think Amazon is also over charging for it. You have to pay for two batteries instead of one.

The Voyage is a good design. I think the Voyage is Amazon's top end Reader with the Oasis being under the PW3.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:16 AM   #15
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
I have to disagree about the Oasis. I think it's design is awful. I think Amazon is also over charging for it. You have to pay for two batteries instead of one.

The Voyage is a good design. I think the Voyage is Amazon's top end Reader with the Oasis being under the PW3.
Like many things it is of course subjective. This is particularly so of design. I didn't like it when I first saw it either, but when I actually got it I was pleasantly surprised. The size is excellent and it is very comfortable to hold and read, and to carry around.

You hate it. I and one other poster here like it. Who knows what the OP and Father will think of it. We do agree that it is not great value for money.