Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I find audiobooks very helpful for my insomnia. Listening to 10 or 20 minutes will generally lull me to sleep.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
But this is worrisome to me because my PW has a definite blue cast.
Delayed-phase sleeper here too! I have one of the early-version "blue" Kobo Glos, but when I compare it to my iPad, the iPad is far, far bluer (as well as much brighter). I know the iPad keeps me up, the Glo doesn't.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
My son uses this on his laptop. He says it helps. http://justgetflux.com/
Insomnia runs in my family big time, so I feel your pain! I have to get off my computer about an hour before I want to go to sleep, and use a K4NT with a clip on light. It's an led light, but it doesn't seem to bother me.
I also use an audio book stuck in my ear all night. Something that I know backwards and forwards, so I don't stay awake to see what happens. I just have it so it will loop all night, every night. It works for me just like geometry class in high school!! We won't even talk about my grade in that class!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I find audiobooks very helpful for my insomnia. Listening to 10 or 20 minutes will generally lull me to sleep.
I listen to audio books all night long. I have either earbuds or a flat speaker over my ears. When I frequently wake at night, the slight drone of the books puts me back to sleep.

The downside is, I have to listen to books I have listened to many times. If it is a new book, I stay awake listening to the story. Thus I have many old books I have heard many times, and once I get into bed and start my mp3 player, I'm asleep in no time.

Last night my ear buds broke (as they do occasionally) and I couldn't sleep again until I got up and got another pair.

But audio books have allow this insomniac to sleep again.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have to report, Day 3 with the PW, and I went to sleep at 12:00, and was asleep by 12:15!
I did have the Fire set down to the lowest brightness, and NEVER played apps, but I am still astounded at the difference between the effect of the e-ink and LED of the Fire.

With the PW, I don't have insomnia anymore!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I have to report, Day 3 with the PW, and I went to sleep at 12:00, and was asleep by 12:15!
I did have the Fire set down to the lowest brightness, and NEVER played apps, but I am still astounded at the difference between the effect of the e-ink and LED of the Fire.

Are you using the PW and a reading light, or is the PW your light source?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Good, then that means you can send me that Kindle Fire since you don't need it any more!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I was fine until a few years ago....never mind as I type this i realize it's been more than ten years now since my sleep issues started so I cannot blame it on the change it work schedule. Anybody ever been told what causes the insomnia or are well stuck with the same lame "I dont know" dr excuses.
In my case, I know exactly what causes my problems. I require a day to be around 30 hours. I've had a chance to test this twice, during two long vacations. I got up when I woke, and went to bed when I felt like it. After about a week, I had settled into a 20 hours awake / 10 hours asleep rhythm, and all was fine. I was never tired during the waking hours and never had problems going to sleep when I wanted to.

However, your "day" will shift around. For example, the first day, you'd get up at 6:00, and then go to bed 20 hours later, which would be 2:00 AM. Then sleep 10 hours; you'd get up at 12 PM again, and your day will last till 8 AM. After sleeping 10 hours, you'd get up again at 6 PM in the afternoon.

Obviously, this is not a maintainable schedule if you wish to lead a "normal" life.

Trying to do that (leading a normal life) causes me to either not being able to sleep (not tired enough), effectively sometimes skipping nights or actually staying up, or not being able to sleep because I have to be awake (eh... work hours, and such), or falling asleep and not being able to sleep long enough (falling asleep at 3AM, but needing to get up at 6 AM).

It has led me to just sleep or doze whenever there is an opportunity and I'm able to; about an hour in public transport to work, an hour back home. I've been known to suddenly "disappear" for an hour at parties, and that sort of stuff.

A normal life is not really "normal" for me.

Some light reading before bed. It might kill you, however.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-11-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Are you using the PW and a reading light, or is the PW your light source?

eP
Just the PW, with the light at 3 bars (way down). I think it might have something to do with the size, too. The PW is a lot lighter than the big Fire (9")
Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Good, then that means you can send me that Kindle Fire since you don't need it any more!
I would, but my husband, who can get to sleep in 3 minutes no matter what, uses his KF for reading, and it is my old smaller KF, because he left my old K4 on a plane. I never put my ereader in the seat pocket-if I am not reading, it sits on my lap.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
A normal life is not really "normal" for me.
Just wait a couple of billion years. By then the Earth's rotation should have slowed down enough to match your internal clock.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #27
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
A lot of things just happen in your head ... but if it helps ... who cares?
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I would, but my husband, who can get to sleep in 3 minutes no matter what, uses his KF for reading, and it is my old smaller KF, because he left my old K4 on a plane. I never put my ereader in the seat pocket-if I am not reading, it sits on my lap.
Dang.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Just wait a couple of billion years. By then the Earth's rotation should have slowed down enough to match your internal clock.
You can help, if you want. It's an open spinning project (it's akin to open source):

Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Re: too much light on reading surface:
I once mentioned it in another thread, that on every kind of actively light emitting displays (CRT, LCD, LED) I use a mimicked amber crt setup for longer reading.

Try B89000 (R: 185; G: 128; B:00) on black background.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote