Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Fontenoy
Australia
Fontenoy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch - device not detected by Adobe Digital Editions

I bought my new Kobo Touch on Monday (3 days ago). So far have had nothing by problems and spend around 5 hours every evening for three days trying to sort things out. I am quite disappointed with my purcharse. I joined this forum hoping I may be able to get some help form Kobo users.

I have set up the Kobo and registered the computer. Initially when I set up the ADE a pop up came up asking to authorise the device. I did. But then the screen froze so I did a hard reset, deleted ADE and reinstalled and started again. This time no pop up comes up so I cannot authorise the Kobo therefore no Kobo icon appearing in the bookshelf of ADE. I tried endlessly to figure it out but cannot. I have done a hard reset 3 times, reinstalled ADE (deleting previous installations from trash - I have a macbook pro). Still cannot authorise the device.

There are more problems too. I do not have a Library Manager menu, Read Now (I think that is what its called but it was on the home page initially) icon on the home screen, drop down menu which has documents tab, no clock shows up up the top of device, wifi is connected worked a few times but cuts out all the time and the strength and synch are not at the tope of home page as indicated in the instructions online. There is a lot of menus and icons missing I think. Is that the same with everyone else.

Is I can have some help here I would really appreciate it. I am so frustrated and can't return the device as a think it is a software problem, not sure what to do.

Thanks
Nerida
Fontenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can definitely return your device to most places (at least in Canada) if it is only 3 days old--no questions asked. Australia has good policies about this sort of thing,too, I've been told.

Before you give up, go to the settings==accounts==and sign out of the Kobo account. Let what happens next happen and follow the instructions. This gives you a reset, but with books in place so the next bit is less annoying.

See what is going on when you have done this.

The clock is found under the gear shaped button on your home screen. When you are reading a book, a tap to bring up the bottom menu will also bring up the gear icon in the upper left.

You will have to sign into Adobe again. Could you be out of authorizations--you get 5 or 6 before you have to request more.

EDIT: It sounds like you are comparing the Touch to a Kobo-WiFi. There are many, many changes. Don't bother looking for things to be the same. Take a look at the user guide that comes on your Touch. Also the full user guide. They may not be entirely up to date, but they are still very helpful.

Last edited by taming; 07-18-2012 at 09:28 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Fontenoy
Australia

Thank you for your info. How do you sign into Adobe again as it seems to authomatically log me in. I have only had one authorisation ofr the device (or used the pop up authority only once). This is my main concern as I only bought it so I can get library books and purchase books externally.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Fontenoy, your new KT is in trouble and you will find plenty of sympathy in being unhappy with Kobo right now. After you read some of the flood of posts in this forum over the last 8 days, particularly at the main thread on firmware 2.0 (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184373 also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184642), you should do a factory reset and make sure you set up your KT with the previous firmware, 1.9.17 (now current again via the Kobo desktop app).

I'd also advise avoiding the current version of the popular elibrary management program, Calibre 0.8.60 (download the previous v.0.8.59 at the calibre-ebook.com). And I'd avoid complications by not registering your device with Adobe, though there are pros and cons in limiting contact with ADE.

I never registered either my wife's Kobo WiFI or my KT with ADE. Authorization is not only not necessary but for privacy protection, not recommended. However, the only way then to deal with the ebooks you buy and have to download via ADE is to strip them of DRM while still resident on your computer (on a PC the files will be found at My Digital Editions), then transfer them as epubs (I use Calibre) to the KT. Viewing, manipulating, moving your books around, etc. will be much simpler without DRM. For some recent posts on DRM, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=DRM

When I wind up with the same title on my KT as both Kobo Kepub and DRM-free ePub, I delete the Kepub. Personally, I don't find any reduced functionality in having little but ePubs on my KT but I understand one can encounter some formatting and font issues.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@GvilleBridge: Please... stop this... there are NOT issues with the current version of calibre, and guess what... even if there were they would be the EXACT same as the previous version(s).

The ONLY change in the Kobo driver from the previous version to this is the checking of the DB level and the production of a warning message if it is too new; all that downgrading calibre does is to avoid this message, which is the EXACT same that can be done by enabling the check box in the Kobo Device driver configuration within calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Fontenoy: As long as the Kobo is appearing as a disk drive to your PC, ADE should see it. There is no need to deinstall / reinstall ADE, or to log out and back in to ADE.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
@gvilleBridge I feel like most of your issues have been just that--yours. This poster is not reporting anything even vaguely related to anything you have experienced.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
As you like it.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Fontenoy
Australia

Thanks everyone. Well finally after 4 stressful and frustrating days I am up and running on my Kobo. Finally after 3 reinstallation's I can access library. Reason for 3 installation as once I downloaded library books from overdrive I could not copy books into Kobo icon in ADE and existing books had error. I reinstalled and all OK, just one error but I can live with that.

Thank you everyone for your help and support. This forum outweighs any customer service support!