Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #46
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Installing hacks is essentially the same as cracking it open with the
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #47
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Can't you install jailbreak 3.1 and remove the hack, mate?
I'm almost certain that you can install the new hack and then uninstall the screensaver hack and jailbreak.
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #48
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Can't you install jailbreak 3.1 and remove the hack, mate?
oh, there's a jailbreak already out for the new firmware?
last time I checked there wasn't. it only officially came out like 2 days ago.
I'll have to check that out.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #49
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@OP: Never ever played with the password stuff, but like FF2 said, probably a crappy/weird font messing things up. But if you can't blind type your password and/or can't access the USB storage, yeah, the hard recovery (hold [HOME] during boot) is probably the only way to go.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #50
Nim Chimpsky
Nim Chimpsky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Brickable devices are badly-designed devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
Quote:
It is unfair that Amazon have to suffer because of this.
This is true. It's not moral judgment, it's common sense you can apply to any device. For example, you buy a car, put rocket fuel and it and after it explodes you expect the manufacturer to take it and give you a new car? I think that everybody has right to hack the device as much as (s)he likes, but if you break device with your doing why should Amazon give you a new one? I think Amazon customer service is too good.
Calling something 'unfair' is, clearly, a 'moral judgment' regardless of whether you agree with that judgment or not. But a more relevant point is that no piece of electronic equipment should be able to be 'broken' or 'bricked' by the installation or operation of software.

If, as is the case with some mp3 players I have dealt with, a device can become 'bricked', i.e., inoperable, because of anything the user can do to the device without physically damaging or modifying it, that is a design flaw that the manufacturer should be held responsible for. Proper design should include the ability to restore the device's operating system with some kind of reset, perhaps including a reloading of necessary software via some built-in communications link, such as USB or Bluetooth, or the insertion of a memory card.

It's not clear to me from the above discussion whether the Kindle can, in fact, be reset in that way. If it can't, shame on Amazon. If it can, I wonder why Amazon agreed to send cloudyvisions a new one.
Nim Chimpsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2023, 03:49 PM   #51
Hightree
Enthusiast
Hightree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine View Post
It seems that the Kindle was broken deliberately by the user. It is unfair that Amazon have to suffer because of this.
If Kindle would be usable out of the box, people wouldn't bother with modding it.
Not even to mention tons of Amazon spyware, lack of DIAG partition on newer models, etc,etc.
Imagine having a PC with the only app installed, having NO BIOS, no way to reinstall or fix OS, NO ADMIN password/account, forced automatic installations of whatever manufacturer wants, the list is long... . This sound simply ridiculous.

Last edited by Hightree; 11-29-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Hightree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:55 PM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightree View Post
If Kindle would be usable out of the box, people wouldn't bother with modding it.
Not even to mention tons of Amazon spyware, lack of DIAG partition on newer models, etc,etc.
Imagine having a PC with the only app installed, having NO BIOS, no way to reinstall or fix OS, NO ADMIN password/account, forced automatic installations of whatever manufacturer wants, the list is long... . This sound simply ridiculous.
Why are you posting in a thread that's been dead for 12 years?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:59 PM   #53
Hightree
Enthusiast

Quote:
There is actually a physical reset button on the Kindle's print, but I haven't heared of anyone actually trying it out yet.
Is there a physical reset button on PW5 (basic version)?
Old 11-29-2023, 04:01 PM   #54
Hightree
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why are you posting in a thread that's been dead for 12 years?
I didn't noticed that lol. It showed up in the top threads somehow. I didn't even do any search.
Mobilereads needs to fix smth.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:27 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Is there a physical reset button on PW5 (basic version)?
Not to mention asking a question of someone who has not been on MobileRead since 2015.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 07:27 PM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I didn't noticed that lol. It showed up in the top threads somehow. I didn't even do any search.
Mobilereads needs to fix smth.
The policy at MobileRead is not to close threads, so one is always free to post. That said, MobileRead always alerts a poster when a thread has gone dormant. That you didn't notice is on you.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote