Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Just updated the Kindle myths wiki to include the Kindle for PC along with iPhone/iPod Touch options for purchasing Kindle content.

Good new indeed (though I won't be reading books on my computer)!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I wonder what the Window's Kindle PID will be. If it is the same as the Windows MobiPocket PID...
My understanding is that Kindle PIDs and MobiPocket PIDs are different.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #18
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Sounds like some people might have a reason to do some Topaz cracking, now, perhaps?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Sounds like some people might have a reason to do some Topaz cracking, now, perhaps?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
swoon....
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #21
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Topaz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
get access to the Kindle Store's AZW ebooks, strip the DRM (if any, a small but significant percentage of AZWs don't have DRM), and read the resulting DRM-free MOBIs on any device.
One word to spoil your party: Topaz.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Do Kindle books bought to read using the iPhone app have a different PID linked to them than books bought from the Kindle on the same Amazon account? I'm just wondering if the software apps have PIDs associated with the hardware they're running on, and not the kindles on the Amazon account. Has anyone "liberated" a Kindle book bought using an iPhone, and if so, what PID was needed?
If it's similar to Mobipocket, any device has its own pid (I have no Kindle but an iPhone, and it has its PID, associated to his serial number, so I suppose it can't be the same than a Kindle).
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It strikes me that this is a move in the direction of -- instead of having DRM-free books available for any device, there will be Amazon DRM-ed books readable on any device (except other competing ereaders). So, no need to worry about netbooks, tablets, etc. - one store can serve all. And if/when the Mac version comes out, the future Apple tablet/ereader can just become an Apple tablet that runs Kindle software.

For the non-tech buyers, why buy a new ereader with a new DRM to deal with? Just load the Kindle reading software on your current devices. A brilliant follow-up to freeing the ereader from the PC for buying/downloading books. Now you can read the Kindle books you already own on most/all of your devices. No tech expertise needed.

Bezos seems to be following Gates' path to monopoly: put your software on everything, or make it run on everything, and let consumers buy their way into your kingdom.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #24
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
My understanding is that Kindle PIDs and MobiPocket PIDs are different.
You can create a Mobipocket PID from the Kindle serial number. See: http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/m...on-kindle.html

Martin

PS: This is not a crack as such so I hope the direct link is ok. If not Let me google that for you. ;-)
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From Amazons's News Release:
Quote:
Choose from over 10 different font sizes and adjust words per line
Ten font sizes would be good to have on the Kindle DX.

I wonder how they are doing this for TOPAZ, which have the font bitmaps inside the ebook file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #26
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Topaz must also have the (OCR'd?) text as well, since it's searchable. What is displayed on the iPhone for a Topaz book doesn't look at all like it does on the Kindle.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #27
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It strikes me that this is a move in the direction of -- instead of having DRM-free books available for any device, there will be Amazon DRM-ed books readable on any device.... put your software on everything, or make it run on everything, and let consumers buy their way into your kingdom.
Bezos said months ago that the plan is for both the Kindle hardware and ebook sales to be separately profitable, rather than have one subsidize the other. The big surprise to me is how long it's taking them to knock out the PC app....

Keep in mind that Amazon did go to DRM-free music sales before Apple did (though long after eMusic). I don't expect them to drop DRM for ebooks any time soon, but I wouldn't rule it out -- ultimately it will be up to the publishers though.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #28
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I hope that I will be able to somehow deDRM ebooks from Amazon to read them on others readers.
I guess ultimately there is a lot more money to be made by selling ebooks (to everyone willing to purchase) rather than selling Ebook readers.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #29
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Topaz must also have the (OCR'd?) text as well, since it's searchable. What is displayed on the iPhone for a Topaz book doesn't look at all like it does on the Kindle.
From my observations of how TOPAZ ebooks display on a Kindle's screen, they seem to contain an embedded font as bitmaps in six fixed sizes and the "font" is based on scans of the actual document (so some letters could appear twice if it does not scan well and the OCR software ends up with two canonical glyphs). This embedded font is then used for more or less conventional OCR transcription into "text". However, this could be completely wrong. So far as I know, Amazon has never discussed TOPAZ in public.

Is the iPhone font anti-aliased? It isn't on the Kindle, which is one reason I think there are actual bitmaps in the ebook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #30
rahlquist
Enthusiast
rahlquist is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color (ICS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I wonder if it'll work on Windows Mobile?
Oh please let it be! I so enjoy Mobipocket on my AT&T Tilt.
rahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote