Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
JaredReisinger
JaredReisinger began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Howdy!

How could I possibly pass on making the obligatory first post? As is likely true of most of the folks here, I've been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. I've been waiting to make the jump to some kind of e-reader for a while, and finally decided to make the jump to a Kindle 2. (I actually tried reading Microsoft .LIT files on a Cassiopeia E-115, but that screen was way too small!)

Since I'm an engineer and software developer, the very first thing I did was to try writing a .mobi/.prc decompiler based on the MOBI information in the MobileRead Wiki. Ultimately, I'd like to learn all about creating and converting between the various formats used for ebooks; those areas of the forums are where you'll likely spot me.
JaredReisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Jared, and Click image for larger version

Name:	double.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	32339 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredReisinger View Post
I've been waiting to make the jump to some kind of e-reader for a while, and finally decided to make the jump to a Kindle 2.
Welcome to Mobileread.

There are two different sets of Perl tools for working with Mobipocket ebooks, and even some python code floating around.

The info in the wiki is reverse engineered by various people - contributions welcome!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Jared, welcome to MR

What kind of software do you do? I think there's quite a few of us around here. I'm an ASP.NET/C#/Sql Server guy. Lately I've been getting proficient with jQuery and currently getting very interested in ASP.NET MVC.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Jared!

I am no longer a techie technically (I traded my comp sci degree for an elem. ed degree a few years back ) but am definitely a tech lover. If there's a new tech gadget out there, I probably want it! Anyway, there are plenty of people here who are interested in format conversions and a great deal of information can be found in the forums. If you are interested in deDRMing, though, you will need to use a search engine for things like ConvertLIT and Mobidedrm. As I am sure you are aware, DRM circumvention is illegal here in the states, so we here at MR can't be explicit in the directions on how to do that, but it can be done. Best of luck with your new reader!

Happy reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi JaredReisinger and welcome to MR
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
JaredReisinger
JaredReisinger began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
What kind of software do you do? I think there's quite a few of us around here. I'm an ASP.NET/C#/Sql Server guy. Lately I've been getting proficient with jQuery and currently getting very interested in ASP.NET MVC.
I'm mostly a C++/C# guy... I'm passable in ASP.NET/SQL/JScript, but I wouldn't inflict any of my attempts on anybody. On the C# front, I've been learning WPF and MVC/MVVM and enjoying it immensly.

It looks like I'll have to brush off my Perl skills and learn Python to fully understand some of the tools available... Calibre looks interesting, but I'll have to get over my completely unjustified aversion to Python.

Last edited by JaredReisinger; 07-15-2009 at 02:21 PM.
JaredReisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredReisinger View Post
I'm mostly a C++/C# guy... I'm passable in ASP.NET/SQL/JScript, but I wouldn't inflict any of my attempts on anybody. On the C# front, I've been learning WPF and MVC/MVVM and enjoying it immensly.

It looks like I'll have to brush off my Perl skills and learn Python to fully understand some of the tools available... Calibre looks interesting, but I'll have to get over my completely unjustified aversion to Python.
You don't have to actually like a language to use it. The python conversion codes out there work fairly well with little intervention. It's you programmer types who like to get in there and tinker with the code that creates a tilt in the Universe's feeling of well being. For full disclosure, both my husband and I were programmers at one point (I started out in Fortran, Cobol and PL1 and moved onto C without all of the +'s ) and my son is currently studying software engineering. As it turns out, I am well pleased with my decision to give up programming computers and start "programming" ie., teaching young children. Computers are just too frustrating! Good luck with python.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Welcome!
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote