Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #31
Mediamania
Mediamania began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700
Many thanks for posting the manual. Anyone grab the pictures before someone in Seattle called and had them pulled?
Mediamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #32
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The one with the pictures is 2.25megs. It will not upload because of the 1meg limit. Anyone know how I can work around this?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The only thing that comes to mind is to screen cap each page and post them as pong files (PNG -- I call them that in honor of the Pioneer), or some other compressed variant.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #34
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only have reader installed
Old 09-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #35
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

I tried to open it with Photoshop. It refuses because of a security lock. There is a security signature preventing extraction and copying content.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open it in Adobe Reader and do Ctrl+Print Screen to get a screen capture of each individual page.

Or do you have a MacPuter? I don't know how to do a screen capture on MacPuters....
Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #37
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Oh dear, even the manual is ugly! A5-sized pages printed as A4, and all the images have bitmapped text. Doesn't say much for an ebook reader, I'd think.

This thing looks like a prop from the original HHGG TV miniseries (c'me on, someone say another TV series, this is fun!). I don't care much about design: I don't own anything Applish, but this is just plain stupid. I don't really need a keyboard, either, and that occupies too much room.

Oh Sony, where(fore) art thou, Sony?

Last edited by lordvetinari2; 09-12-2006 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Misspelled acronym: "Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist

I've been thinking about the ... odd format of the manual -- my theory on it is that they mean the text part (minus the margins) to be the size of the screen.

Okay, how about Lost in Space?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist

It just occured to me that the way the side edges slant in toward the top face might make this thing a bit annoying to pick up from a flat surface.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #40
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Now that Amazon owns Mobipocket, I hope this new device of theirs doesn't kill any chance of Mobi being available for the Iliad.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #41
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Now think about how smart it would be if iRex approached Amazon and told them "dump that ugly duckling and get our iLiad instead"... we'd see lot's of happy iLiad customers with a big e-book retailer supporting them, and a happy iRex company for selling lots and lots of devices.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #42
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
Oh dear, even the manual is ugly! A5-sized pages printed as A4, and all the images have bitmapped text. Doesn't say much for an ebook reader, I'd think.

This thing looks like a prop from the original HHGH TV miniseries (c'me on, someone say another TV series, this is fun!). I don't care much about design: I don't own anything Applish, but this is just plain stupid. I don't really need a keyboard, either, and that occupies too much room.

Oh Sony, where(fore) art thou, Sony?

On the other hand, though, reading the manual, Amazon seems to have made some good decisions. They included a cover, you can change the battery (although it does seem proprietary...), and of course the content is king. Also, in black-and-white manual drawings, with the cover on, you can almost forget it looks like the early '80s ;-)

The choice to go with EVDO instead of WiFi is... confusing. Cell service is certainly more widely available, but EVDO is still fairly rare, I believe. Wifi, on the other hand, is becoming prevalent very quickly.

Also, of course, this is about the worst example I can imagine of the "platform" model that I rant about every chance I get ;-) I can't imagine Amazon is invested in making the best reading hardware possible; they're just trying to sell more books. And that's evident in the formats they support and the fact that they require conversion before reading popular formats like DOC and PDF.

The fact that Amazon is getting into the hardware business, though, gives me hope that the e-reader market will become a hot battleground. Maybe then we'll see some better options.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #43
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
It looks like some space craft in "STARTREK".
It is powerful, not bad.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #44
Mediamania
Mediamania began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700
Interestingly, ALL the files posted regarding this device earlier today on the FCC site have now been removed. There's now a "Request for Dismissal" letter from a Florida engineering firm -- identified as a firm specializing in FCC approvals -- stating as follows:

"We would like to request the following application to be dismissed due to problems with confidential exhibits listed on the website and updated exhibits the applicant wishes to provide in place of exhibits that have been submitted for this filing."

Hmmmm. For all that disclosed information to be pulled seems unusual. And for Amazon to withdraw their application seems odd, if it means starting the FCC approval process over again.

Is this a PR move? Or is there something else going on here? Anyone with expertise in these matters (FCC disclosure) have any insights?
Mediamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #45
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Hi DaHer,

The link for manual is not working. Did they remove the pdf manual? Does anyone have the manual saved when it was available? It would be great if someone upload the manual for others who missed it. Definitely I'm one of them.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote