Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
jwh
jwh began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader 700
Working with pdf files on sony ereader

Glad to find this forum. I have a PRS-700. I don't understand why some pdf files will enlarge but some will not. Is there some file conversion or optimization that I need to perform before loading the pdf files on my reader.
I have tried changing the orientation but that still doesn't help. The original image is just too small to read easily.
jwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi jwh,
you should be able to enlarge pdf files one way or another. there are two different kinds of pdf files, however, and they won't work in the same way. the first one is a text pdf, which you can enlarge by modifying the font size, or by zooming in without changing the font size to preserve the page layout. this can be done via the same text size dialogue box, but it's a button above the font size buttons on the left side. you can also rotate the pdf to read in a landscape disposition which will help.

if the pdf is an image pdf, the sony sees it just like any photo or other image and can't read the text and therefore can't modify its size. in this case, the only option is to zoom using the image zoom (and possibly read in landscape disposition).

i hope this helps.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
jwh
jwh began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader 700
My pdf files all have images within them so I assume that it is what you have called an image pdf. But depending on how I save the file (optimized for Adobe 4.0 or not) the reader will enlarge the text. The problem is that I loose the page layout and so everything is out of place.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

JWH
jwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh View Post
My pdf files all have images within them so I assume that it is what you have called an image pdf. But depending on how I save the file (optimized for Adobe 4.0 or not) the reader will enlarge the text. The problem is that I loose the page layout and so everything is out of place.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

JWH
The text pdf's are also of two types - the ones that reflow (well) and the ones that do not. Yours seem to be of the second type so if the text in the original is too small, you have to use horizontal half-page to read them nicely, preserving the layout.

I have no idea if/how you can convert a text pdf that does not reflow into one that does, but I will look into it since I started liking using pdf's on the 700 since they have a nicer layout than even the lrf files.

Text pdf's can and do have embedded images. An image pdf is all made of images - scans are the best example - and you cannot extract the text unless you OCR it.

I made my first pdf out of a Ms_doc using open_office_org and it reflows great as well as being nicer than the lrf I made with Calibre, and faster than the epub I made with Calibre, though the epub is smaller.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
The text pdf's are also of two types - the ones that reflow (well) and the ones that do not. Yours seem to be of the second type so if the text in the original is too small, you have to use horizontal half-page to read them nicely, preserving the layout.

I have no idea if/how you can convert a text pdf that does not reflow into one that does, but I will look into it since I started liking using pdf's on the 700 since they have a nicer layout than even the lrf files.

Text pdf's can and do have embedded images. An image pdf is all made of images - scans are the best example - and you cannot extract the text unless you OCR it.

I made my first pdf out of a Ms_doc using open_office_org and it reflows great as well as being nicer than the lrf I made with Calibre, and faster than the epub I made with Calibre, though the epub is smaller.
well it could be hard and finicky, but yes its possible to convert a PDF with Manual Line Breaks. I saw a thread yesturday that used Microsoft word to Autoformat the txt (i dont remember what the shortcut was, but it did have a shortcut.) also book designer is good and rescueing 99% of line Breaks when i Import it (depending on the format that it was imported from. I ussually use a PDF converter on it first)

also for the data in headers and footers that hard coded into some pdfs (such as some converters that actually put the path of the imput file into the footer... god i hate those)

I convert the PDF to TXT, then I use notepad++.
use find to find a regular expression inside every line of the header/footer. also check the box that says Mark Line. now all the lines where the term is will be marked. then you can go to EDIT and there is a option to delete all Marked lines.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote