Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #136
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Right, so I'm doing that. And how fun, Desktop has decided to put ALL my kepubs on the Glo, while I'd just gone through them all one by one to decide which I wanted to not sync (most of them) with the new 2.4.0 firmware option grrr.

Edit: I suppose 2.4.0 isn't on there yet though as I only just reset and downloaded firmware. I was wondering where the annoyance would be to keep them all in my library as apposed to how I had them all deleted before. Now I know. Factory reset will be more work.

Edit2: ...and I should've saved my Kobo eReader.conf file

Ahhhh - but did you take your upholstery off (bra!)
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #137
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Ahhhh - but did you take your upholstery off (bra!)
Damnit. I forgot. I better start again.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #138
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Damnit. I forgot. I better start again.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #139
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
How about usage patterns (the way you do things, i.e. how the books are loaded onto the device, whether you sleep or turn off, how long you read for, do you turn the device off before you insert an SD card or leave it on, etc)? All those sort of things are unique to each user.

There are other possibilities, such as environmental factors (temperature, etc) but I can't imagine that having much affect unless those with battery problems are living in cold climates (I'm in the southern hemisphere so it's summer and quite warm). Temperature can definitely affect battery life.

Even location could possibly make a difference, i.e. maybe something with localisation is wrong (unlikely but not out of the bounds of possibility).
Despite it being winter here in Canada, This latest Glo has remained a near constant 20c/70f. Since it's not practical to use, given its issues, it simply sits on a desk. Our usable readers travel outside briefly, to work and back, and they suffer no ill effects. No static issues in the house, as the floors are mostly non-carpeted.

I've factory-reset all 3 Glo's I've had pass through here, at least once, and always updated with the current firmware at the time. Calibre is used to manage and load our books on all devices.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #140
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Hahahaha, reading that I was expecting some huge sexist comment to come, but it's actually logical and even funny. I think I'll make sure to take my bra off before doing the update via Desktop.
I'm not sure whether to be insulted that you think that I'd make a sexist remark, or to just be titillated. Are you sure you're clear on what they meant when they told you to "flash" a new firmware? If so, I'm campaigning for greater transparency and a more public update process!

I'm nine full days in, 17.5 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and now at 65%.

I don't have reading life turned on and do not check it.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #141
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm not sure whether to be insulted that you think that I'd make a sexist remark,
Naah not a sexist joke, a sexist factory thinking all the women make lots of mistakes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #142
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Well, if it's not the ebooks or the batteries, and assuming identical hardware, then it sure sounds like firmware or OS.
I've suspected firmware from the outset, but the problem is we can't discount the other factors because we have no real way of knowing - and that's the real problem.

For example, there are two Touch versions that we know of that are ostensibly the same yet require different firmware. We know of this not from Kobo but from feedback in the forums here which was tacitly "confirmed" by Kobo recommending that future updates be conducted using the desktop software. So what if there are yet further minor revision changes in the new hardware such that whilst they share a common firmware, some units will manifest a power bug not seen on others? Only Kobo know for sure and they aren't exactly being forthcoming.

Rather than speculate further I'd simply like to know what outcome is likely as my RMA window is shrinking. Is this problem deemed resolvable by a future firmware fix, or should I return it?
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #143
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, it's a slippery slope, but it sort of has to be firmware. That's what I was doing, just summing up based on accumulated intell. The hardware appears well laid out, considering their track records with getting updates just so, that my touch works like a champ minus the lighting, and that a TON of new Glo buyers were not complaining it sort of had to come down to multiple hardware versions or firmware/OS issues. If there were multiple hardware versions and SameerH knew that, I'm pretty sure Mrs. O would have ended up with a fully working unit.

Seems to me you can return/swap it while in the period and get a brand new one according to Mrs. O, or wait and get a firmware fix eventually. My guess, is if they made the mistake of not updating everything and caused the problem by shooting themselves in the foot then the next firmware will cause the device to boot twice, like the last official one I got before 2.4.0 on the Touch which was 2.2 something, and probably be a two stage update. The problem may be as simple as that...

If you're freaked out exchange it -on their dollar.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #144
TechniSol

I'm 10 full days in, 18.75 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and now at 63%.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #145
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
I've suspected firmware from the outset, but the problem is we can't discount the other factors because we have no real way of knowing - and that's the real problem.

For example, there are two Touch versions that we know of that are ostensibly the same yet require different firmware. We know of this not from Kobo but from feedback in the forums here which was tacitly "confirmed" by Kobo recommending that future updates be conducted using the desktop software. So what if there are yet further minor revision changes in the new hardware such that whilst they share a common firmware, some units will manifest a power bug not seen on others? Only Kobo know for sure and they aren't exactly being forthcoming.

Rather than speculate further I'd simply like to know what outcome is likely as my RMA window is shrinking. Is this problem deemed resolvable by a future firmware fix, or should I return it?
Kobo don't know yet what's causing the problem. However, they are looking into it and they are suggesting different things for me to try. I even received emails about it from higher-ups on a Sunday... So I do think they're taking the problem seriously.

Quote:
I'm 10 full days in, 18.75 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and now at 63%.
Oooh nice! I'm so jealous!

(I'm not sure what that jumping thing is, but I needed something green with envy )
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #146
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Quote:
Kobo don't know yet what's causing the problem. However, they are looking into it and they are suggesting different things for me to try. I even received emails about it from higher-ups on a Sunday... So I do think they're taking the problem seriously.
I don't know if it's the way you've phrased it but I feel less confident now.
When you said previously that Kobo had acknowledged a problem (perhaps as a result off the complaints in this forum), the inference was they were aware of the cause and were in the process of patching to resolve it. From the manner they are working with you, it now sounds like they are casting about for a solution which of course infers that the true cause remains a mystery.

There's another ramification: are they currently working to resolve YOUR problem as a result of posting a fault in the Kobo forums? Or have they mentioned that this is a preliminary stage for fixing the problems of a wider audience?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #147
TechniSol

I'm 11 full days in, 24.75 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and now at 51%.

If the 51% is anywhere accurate, then around fifty hours of reading with the lighting on low seems pretty good to me. Especially considering the original numbers set forth in the specs were for more like 30 minutes a day for a month with light on or off, or at total of 15 hours reading time. Now, how they arrived at the idea of 15 hours with or without lighting remains a mystery to me. Perhaps, they were overly conservative, perhaps they intended a higher lighting level, perhaps I'm seeing minimal effects of self discharge so far -though lithium doesn't lose a lot through self discharge.

At any rate, if this discharge continues at about the same rate I think there will be nothing much to complain about with a properly working unit.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #148
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
I don't know if it's the way you've phrased it but I feel less confident now.
When you said previously that Kobo had acknowledged a problem (perhaps as a result off the complaints in this forum), the inference was they were aware of the cause and were in the process of patching to resolve it. From the manner they are working with you, it now sounds like they are casting about for a solution which of course infers that the true cause remains a mystery.

There's another ramification: are they currently working to resolve YOUR problem as a result of posting a fault in the Kobo forums? Or have they mentioned that this is a preliminary stage for fixing the problems of a wider audience?
I'm very sorry to have given you the wrong idea. I don't think I ever stated they were solving the problem... What I said was:

Quote:
GOOD NEWS

Sameer has stated our battery life problems are unlikely to be caused by the battery.

Kobo is looking into it.
So they've acknowledged there is a problem, and and what I meant with "they're looking into it" was merely that they are trying to reproduce, and thinking of possible causes to try out. I asked them if there was any specific usage they would like me to test, which is why they gave me a few things to try.

I doubt they're working on my problem specifically, as it's really a problem in sleep mode. And if it were only my problem, I'd just have a bad battery.

I do trust Kobo will solve the problem eventually and somehow. Either by finding the culprit and fixing it, or by changing hardware... Sorry I gave your trust a hit.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 03-06-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #149
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
I'm 11 full days in, 24.75 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and now at 51%.

[...]

At any rate, if this discharge continues at about the same rate I think there will be nothing much to complain about with a properly working unit.
Nothing much? Nothing at all! Lovely battery life you have. Thanks for keeping us posted!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #150
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
I'm very sorry to have give you the wrong idea.
Actually I wasn't casting aspersions at your good self, just speaking "out loud" in the forum Perhaps my enthusiasm for a return to normal battery life prevented me from expressing myself clearly?

Quote:
So they've acknowledged there is a problem, and and what I meant with "they're looking into it" was merely that they are trying to reproduce, and thinking of possible causes to try out.
Obviously they are of the same opinion that the issue lies in software (possibly coupled with specific user settings) rather than hardware. Which is hopeful. It would still be nice to know this from their lips as it were so I don't unnecessarily return what would otherwise be considered a perfectly functioning machine.

Quote:
I doubt they're working on my problem specifically, as it's really a problem in sleep mode.
A sleep mode problem may also cover the original problem I had regarding not slipping from sleep into power-off and chewing through the battery when that happened. Mind you, I can't see how this would explain the disparity in overall battery longevity between the old & new devices. Hmmm.

Quote:
I do trust Kobo will solve the problem eventually and somehow. Either by finding the culprit and fixing it, or by changing hardware... Sorry I gave your trust a hit.
You personally never "gave my trust a hit". We're fortunate that these devices are flashable and hence software problems are easily resolved. What would be nice is if Kobo capitalised upon this aspect by being more forthright about what is happening and what steps are being taken. Managing user expectations effectively goes a long way to keeping customers happy in the long run.