Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #991
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
I would like to use the joystick to navigate and select links in browser - like in non touch devices
Would it be able to implement that feature in a future update?
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #992
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
For 1 column documents pls use "auto crop" from reading menu.
you can use either "Auto crop" or "Auto detect margines". The second one is needed for some multi column documents.

I am also going to make a short video tutorial how the dashed line work and when it is need.
Hm, there are two problems I see with this: First of all I can't get rid of those dashed lines, no matter what I try. And they sit in completely unreasonable places. They go right through the upper or lower third of the page (and the text), always. I still haven't understood what they are meant to signify, nor do I think they signify anything useful. Second, I see a problem with how "Auto Crop" works as a one-time tool and basically zooms in onto the page based upon the current content. If the next page looks slightly different, you'd have to re-call auto-crop. (Apparently Auto-Crop works according to some different principle)

I really think the suggestion I made on the previous page for how the semantics are supposed to be layed out makes sense and provides both, orthogonal and useful controls. Perhaps you could consider it at least partially.

Edit: Although I still don't understand the purpose of the gray lines, I eventually got rid of them, Auto Crop seems to work fine for now (I hope). Fullscreen would be appreciated as before - especially retaining it.

YAE: It seems like the gray lines always appear "once" and then disappear when swapping the page. And when they appear initially, they are somewhere where it doesn't make any sense for them to be.

Last edited by ManDay; 11-14-2012 at 09:11 AM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #993
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
@Booxtor: do you have any idea why when you change tools (in annotation mode/landscape reading/PDF reader) they do a full screen refresh? That happens no matter what you selected in the "Screen Update settings" (every 3 pages, always and so on).

The same question goes for highlightig,they seem to do a full page refresh. This is not done when you scribble and that makes the scribbling faster and less power consuming.

Possible PDF Annotations Workflow improvement: on top of eliminating the above unneeded full page refresh another function would be useful. In order to delete the last scribble or highlighting you need to change the tools twice (select the eraser, delete, select the previous tool again). It would be a lot easier if there would be an Undo button which if pressed it will erase the last operation while the current tool will not be changed.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #994
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
YAE: It seems like the gray lines always appear "once" and then disappear when swapping the page. And when they appear initially, they are somewhere where it doesn't make any sense for them to be.
I think Booxtor explained these, if you read a page in two steps (due to zoom in to let's say 150%, just one half of the page fits on your screen) then on the first half you have no dotted line. If you press next the second half of the page becomes visible and you see the grey line somewhere at the top of screen...that shows you the area of the page that overlapped with the previous half of the page.

If you zoom in is not perfectly adjusted you might get to see the page in three steps and then during the last step you get a good part of the previews page view + the small left over that could not be displayed in before. To have a clue whether you need two to three steps to read a page watch the page icon in the tool bar at the bottom. If you need three steps then after the second one the small icon will still have a small dark grey strip at the bottom indicating that there is a small section of the current page which is not displayed

Switch to landscape mode and zoom to width and try to read ...you will understand right away what I mean
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #995
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
The "auto crop" option in the reading menu now works well for me. I still have a complaint though: when I set this option then the joystick becomes completely useless, as it just shows me the margins. Before the 1.8 update, the joystick was used for turning pages. This habit dies hard. Can we have it back as an option? Turning pages is (at least for me) by far the most frequently used function; the buttons are stiff/loud/hard-to-find, the joystick is much less distracting. Note that in all the other applications (besides the new pdf reader) the joystick is still used for turning pages, which makes it really confusing.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #996
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
The "auto crop" option in the reading menu now works well for me. I still have a complaint though: when I set this option then the joystick becomes completely useless, as it just shows me the margins. Before the 1.8 update, the joystick was used for turning pages. This habit dies hard. Can we have it back as an option? Turning pages is (at least for me) by far the most frequently used function; the buttons are stiff/loud/hard-to-find, the joystick is much less distracting. Note that in all the other applications (besides the new pdf reader) the joystick is still used for turning pages, which makes it really confusing.
Shall we vote ?
There are a couple of us who requested this change and works OK for us
The new settings add more functionality to the ereader.
However I had the impression that in this new release (I have not tested it yet) you can reassign the function of the joystick

PS: you might want to read the post of one of our members who intensively used the joystick and he had to replace it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194860
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #997
goodreader
goodreader began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox M-92, kindle keyboard wifi , ibad2
i have onyx boox M-92

I UPDATEED TO 13112012 1.8

NOW I HAVE BIG PROPLEM
STYLS NOT WORK

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW???

IM SO SORRY. MY ENGLISH NOT GOOD BECAUSE IT IS NOT FIRST LANGUEGE.
goodreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #998
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Take a look in tool menu. You will find there a new tool for key remapping. So you can select the behaviour of joystick to what you like/need.

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-15-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #999
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodreader View Post
i have onyx boox M-92

I UPDATEED TO 13112012 1.8

NOW I HAVE BIG PROPLEM
STYLS NOT WORK

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW???

IM SO SORRY. MY ENGLISH NOT GOOD BECAUSE IT IS NOT FIRST LANGUEGE.
Hi Goodreader,

First of all please don't write in upper case LIKE THIS!
Secondly - you don't have to be sorry for your English - lots of users here are not native English speakers. But even if we are not all perfect in, we love to use it.

Back to your problem. Did you try to restart your device? Was the installation of update successful? You can also try to recalibrate the stylus (in device settings).
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #1000
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
You can modifiy how works the joystick. You can choose page turn, zoom, pan view ... I've tested it.

I like the new firmware with this option.

EDIT : Sorry, I haven't read the reply from Booxtor

Last edited by Randy11; 11-15-2012 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Read all posts before repling to a post :)
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #1001
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Take a look in tool menu. You will find there a new tool for key remapping. So you can select the behaviour of joystick to what you like/need.
Thanks a lot, that's what I needed!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #1002
FrankSmith
FrankSmith began at the beginning.

Device: none
@Booxtor:

many thanks for the new firmware. I have some problems with Cool Reader:
The default font shows no german umlauts, just "?". I see all fonts installed on my device in the Cool Reader font settings, but I can only change the font to a few default fonts. Even there, some default fonts are not accessible.

Changing the font to the great Georgia eInk, but also regular Georgia or other self installed fonts is not possible. They are all shown in the list and coud be selected- but then nothing happens, the font won't change.

A minor glitch: In FBReader the encoding is still tranlated as "Verschlüsselung", which means (Binary-)Encryption. The right one should be "Zeichensatz", "Zeichenkodierung" or "Kodierung". Even the english word "Encoding" is more meaningful in this context.

Edit: Sorry, I posted to the wrong thread. This belongs to the i62HD.

Last edited by FrankSmith; 11-15-2012 at 03:39 PM.
FrankSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #1003
finitary
finitary began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Excel, Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch
Smile Icarus Excel

I have installed the last firmware for M92 (1.8 (1.8.20121113)) on my Icarus Excel without a problem. Everything is working well. Thanks

Question: In the new pdf reader, there are seemingly random dotted lines across the text. How do I get rid of these?

Last edited by finitary; 11-15-2012 at 11:50 AM.
finitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #1004
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
I have new regressions to report:

Number one:

When reading any document and putting the device to Sleep, upon waking the device up I cannot scroll or do anything with the document. Neither the joystick nor the left/right buttons work.

Pressing the Home button (not resume, but the button with the house on it) exits the document and throws the device back to the home screen, from where I can load the document again and everything works fine.

I encounter this problem only using the new PDF Reader: I have tried CoolReader on an epub and the device resumed normally and I was able to continue reading and scrolling without the above behaviour.

Number two:
When making a cold boot of the device (i.e. from the fully turned off state), after the normal bootup screen finishes, the device will keep loading, displaying a small loading circle just like it would when opening a document. After this finishes, the device is again normally usable on the home screen. This happens no matter if I turned off the device from a document or from the home screen (setting is to not load the previous document on reboot).

I have compared this to the new M92 of my girlfriend with the same firmware and this does not happen with her device.

I do have a lot more books on my device - could this be somehow connected to that? Maybe the device is reindexing the stuff at every start?
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #1005
zaytsev
zaytsev began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd Edition
Hi! I've just updated my device to 1.8.20121113 from 1.8 20121101. The good news is that the new PDF reader now actually works. The bad news is that it doesn't work on most files I'm interested in. Take, for instance the FreeBSD Handbook:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/do...ooks/handbook/

It just hangs at some point. The old reader opens the file, but throws errors all the time. Is this thread the right one to report this problem? If not, could you please point me into the right direction? Thanks!
zaytsev is offline   Reply With Quote