Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Kindle Paperwhite owners. Are appreciably the better resolution? or it isn't

Hello.

I have read many reviews about light, shadows and color spots, but very few in relation to the best resolution of the screen. For me is very important this feature.

Did you notice it?, Or not.

thanks in advance;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

In my case, NOT. I found the text to be generally less readable due to washout by the light. It was also inconsistent with some characters/words/lines displaying much darker than others. The contrast was not as good as my Kindle Touch.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I agree with Jack. The contrast is not as good as my Kindle Touch either and it's definitely not as good as the new basic Kindle. The text is more washed out on the PW and there are also font rendering issues.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
In my case, NOT. I found the text to be generally less readable due to washout by the light. It was also inconsistent with some characters/words/lines displaying much darker than others. The contrast was not as good as my Kindle Touch.
I have the opposite experience. The text is very sharp and far more readable than on my touch. Good contrast. Much more black on white than dark gray on light gray.

I think that the text on the K3 was pretty sharp when the lighting was just right. With the KPW I can make the lighting just right wherever I am. If you get a KPW that is not plagued by too much coloration or uneven lighting and if you are not hyper picky you will find it a much better reading experience.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I see that the OP is using a K2. I would say that the resolution on the PW is superior to the K2.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I see that the OP is using a K2. I would say that the resolution on the PW is superior to the K2.
Oh, Now I just got a sony prs 505, but my most recent reader was sony prs T1, and before it, a kindle keyboard.

I really know pearl screen ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
The resolution on my paperwhite is pretty good. Better than any of the kindles Ive had so far, k2, k3, k touch.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
It isn't so much what I can see between the PW and the T2, but what I can't see in the PW that I can see in the T2, which is the anti-aliasing artifacts. With the PW, the text is sharper, less fuzzy.

Other effects like partial refresh can drown out that advantage though. It really feels like only Sony on the T2 has managed to figure out partial refreshes, despite how many models offer the feature.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
It depends which font you use. I found the Helvetica font very clear with great contrast to the background.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I think the resolution difference is appreciable because I can read the Walking Dead graphic novels on fullscreen without having to zoom. I couldn't do that on a 800x600 screen.

Smaller font sizes are also much more readable compared to on my previous NSTWGL.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
My PW has a patch of darker green in the top right quadrant. When I use Helvetica it seems to accentuate the color patch. Really distracting. Now I use Baskerville, which is a thinner font, the patching is far less noticeable. Finally can read without distraction!
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilewilier View Post
My PW has a patch of darker green in the top right quadrant. When I use Helvetica it seems to accentuate the color patch. Really distracting. Now I use Baskerville, which is a thinner font, the patching is far less noticeable. Finally can read without distraction!
That's a novel idea- make the color blotches less visible by adjusting the font type
I can see mine no matter what I do.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
The resolution is obviously higher on the PW than any of the other eink kindles, so the book covers and other graphics display in more detail, however, due to the much lower contrast than on my K4s, the graphics are more difficult to see. I am currently reading a series of books that have maps in the beginning, and I can not make out any of the place names, because the contrast is so low. It's maddening: here I am in this imaginary world, yet I have no clue where what is. On my PWs, black looks grey.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Reading in good ambient light (not totally dark rooms), using a PW light level of 22 (high is 24) and using font size 7 (8 is the highest) with the Helvetica font eliminates all color tints which may be evident in dark rooms with a low PW light level.

Larger font sizes physically spreads the faint background coloring and totally obscures it. The pixels are PHYSICALLY spread out. You can actually see this effect by using a powerful magnifying glass or microscope and can see how the pixels are spread.

Using that combination also totally flushes away the LED shadows at the bottom of the screen. It is then that the Paperwhite looks exactly like the Amazon promo pictures showing great contrasting, dark fonts on a pure white background.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-25-2012 at 09:12 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
I was wondering... currently it is kinda complex to achieve 16 shades of gray shifting part of the colored particles inside the "pixels", but with resolution increase it might be viable having only black and white unit and simulate the colors where needed (pics) with dithering, that way we may have much faster screens with much whiter white and blacker black?
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote