Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
dizaster
dizaster began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
New Kindle or Sony PSR-600 Refurbished ??

Hi.

My wife has decided to buy me an ebook reader for christmas (yay) , We are currently looking at either the New Kindle on Amazon or a Refurbished PSR-600 on Play.com. both are around the same price.

I currently have quite a few books in various formats that I have read using my Iphone.

Am I better off with the kindle and look at converting my existing titles , or go for the Sony and either not buy from amazon or convert the kidle file format ??

Any help greatfully recieved

Dizaster
dizaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you decide that you want a Sony I would go with the 650 and not the 600. The 650 has the Pearl Screen and the better touch screen.

It would be helpful to know what you want your e-reader to do and what features are most important to you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
dizaster
dizaster began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
All I really want to do , is read :-)
Its not unusual for me to go through 5 or 6 books in a month , I always buy new , so some part of the ebbok idea is to reduce my costs on books and to reduce the 'clutter' as my wife calls it, of all my books around the house :-)

Dont need to anotate stuff or make notes .
dizaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizaster View Post
All I really want to do , is read :-)
Its not unusual for me to go through 5 or 6 books in a month , I always buy new , so some part of the ebbok idea is to reduce my costs on books and to reduce the 'clutter' as my wife calls it, of all my books around the house :-)

Dont need to anotate stuff or make notes .
Hi, the PRS-600 screen is not very good. In practice, the text looks fuzzy which makes it hard to read. I have also heard of glare problems. This is directly do to the layer that was added to the screen to allow it to be a touch screen. The Kindle3 and the PRS-650 screens are both better than the best of the previous generation screens. So, if your choice is limited between the PRS-600 and the Kindle3... Well, lets put it this way, even with my issues with Amazon's closed eco-system, I would have a hard time not buying the Kindle3... the difference in the screens is just that big. Now if it was a device without the touch screen like the Nook, or the Sony PRS-300, that might be a different story.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
K3 vs 600. K3
K3 vs 650. 650
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Does your public library offer Overdrive downloadable books? If so, the Kindle does not read their PDF/Epub ones (some libraries offer a limited selection in mobi format). Frankly, you're better off getting a 650, or even a new 350 (closer in cost to a Kindle) if library books interest you -- the new models handle those waaaaaay better than a 600!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would look at the different bookstores and see which bookstore best suit your reading habits.

Personally, I would get the K3. I wouldn't buy a device without WiFi. It is easier to buy books when you have that option. And the K3 is significant;y less expensive then the Sony 650.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
Since i have both, i'll advise you to get the k3. The screen is way better than the 600. Conversion is not a problem with calibre so far after i switched from 600 to k3, so i don't think you'll find it hard either.

The thing to note is if you download kindle app on your iphone, it will only sync the book with your k3 if you bought it from Amazon. If you don't plan to read books on both devices at the same time then i guess it's not a problem.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would look at the different bookstores and see which bookstore best suit your reading habits.

Personally, I would get the K3. I wouldn't buy a device without WiFi. It is easier to buy books when you have that option. And the K3 is significant;y less expensive then the Sony 650.
It being easier to buy books might be a disadvantage if you are trying to cut down on the number of books you are buying . After all, if you have to hook it up to your computer one way or the other, perhaps you will take a closer look at PG first....

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Here's a reiteration of what you've already heard - new Kindle

I've owned both. In fact, I sold my K1 to get a 600. I returned the 600 almost immediately because the screen was so blurry. I bought a K2 instead, and I've been happy ever since. If you're talking K3, then it's even easier
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote