Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
barbaust
barbaust began at the beginning.

Device: iriver
Computer with XP doesn't recognise iriver story

I have purchased an iriver ebook reader and have been unable to download to it. I have charged the battery through the USB, but my SD USB device (switched on) has not been recognised by my computer (also switched on). As OS is Windows XP, I thought that I might need to download a driver from the internet to my computer, but have been unsuccessful (only potential site also good source of spam!). Working in the dark as don't even know what firmware is. Presume it's more like hard drive than software?
I haven't bought a SD card as salesperson said that should be recognised anyway as device has manuals and one book on it (when purchased).
Under Device Manager on myComputer, I see that Drive 0 has been assigned for Generic SD USD readers, but that doesn't help as cannot drag/move file to this drive.
Can someone please help me?
barbaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
G'day barbaust,
Welcome to the forums!

It seems a few people have this issue with e.readers - not just the iRiver. It generally comes down to the USB connection - for whatever reason, there's not enough current flowing between the PC and the iRiver for data transfer to be recognised between the two. There are a few things you can do.

First off, make sure the iRiver is going into connection mode. It's easiest when both the Story and the PC are already switched on - then plug the USB cable in. Watch the iRiver screen, and you should get an option to either simply charge the Story, or make a USB connection. Make sure you use the "connection" option.

Depending on the settings on your PC, you should get a dialog on the PC screen after a few seconds that asks if you want to browse the device. That's what you want to do. It should open an Explorer window to show the files and folders on your Story. If this dialog doesn't come up, try double-clicking on "My Computer" on the desktop and see if your PC has assigned a drive letter to the Story. If it has, you should be able to double-click on the icon there and browse the device that way.

If it hasn't, most people have found a way to fix the problem either by plugging the USB cable into a different USB port at their PC, or by using a different cable. If your PC is a laptop, often the USB ports don't put out sufficient voltage for some USB devices to interact correctly with the PC. You may need to get hold of a powered USB hub (mine was about $14 at Dick Smith's).

There's a few ideas. I think the first place to start is making sure the Story is connecting correctly, and then try a different USB port, and then try a different cable. A bit of a pain, I know.

As for the firmware: it's a file that contains the operating system, that your Story will respond to automatically and use to update its working files. The current version is 1.71 on the basic story, and 1.86 on the wireless-enabled model. You can check the version current on your iRiver from the "Settings" option. If your device is new, it's likely that it will be up-to-date, but even if it's not, it's not a priority - it won't be what's stopping your Story and PC from talking to each other.

Hope all that helps. Good luck! Let us know how you go.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
barbaust
barbaust began at the beginning.

Device: iriver
MacEachaidh, Thankyou. Thankyou. I'm so happy, I could cry. Have owned ereader for a week and now I can download books and upgrade firmware. Done. All it took was to find that I should connect to USB AFTER both device and computer were connected. Don't know about this Karma bit, but I'll try to give the maximum. thanks, Barbara
barbaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Barb,
You're very welcome, and that's great news! Always good when things have a happy ending!

There are a few tricks to the Story that I wish iRiver had included in the manual, but it's still a great little gadget. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Always good when things have a happy ending!!
A lot of things from Korea come with a happy ending.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
grevilleagirl
grevilleagirl began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
I am also having major problems with getting the desktop to acknowledge the iriver story. when connected E drive is assigned but when click on E drive to copy requests to insert disk. What disk? Have sorted out issue where connect usb through a powered hub which was supposed to acknowledge iriver but once again doesn't. When connecting gives option to charge battery or connect remote device. SCROLL DOWN TO CONNECT, ENTER, AND ENTER AGAIN TO CONNECT USB SHOWS UPDATING DB PLEASE WAIT BUT THEN NOTHING HAPPENS. According to iriver in australia should show iriver connected but nothing. nothing and still cannot transfer books. Have tried all their siggestions including powered hub and different cable but still pc will not acknowledge iriver what next the bin. Can anyone please help will not waste any more money on it.
grevilleagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
I don't use Windows so this may be way off the mark. Are you connecting to a USB2.0 socket? Some older computers have a mix of USB1.1 and USB2.0. I think the story only works with a powered USB2.0 socket.

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
grevilleagirl

Post iriver story

Have tried all available ports how do I know which is which 1.1 or 2. Purchased a logitech premium 4 port powered hub is that any good the fellow at Officeworks reckon there OK cost enough if it didn't fix the problem. Can anyone recommend a good basic reader if this doesn't work out. I do want a good sized screen with the zoom function due to poorish eyesight. Don't want to pay too much especially if I have the same problems only want to be able to read books don't need all the other things like diary music etc. Only reason I bought this it was a good deal at the time and iriver have a good name.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
grevilleagirl

Iriver story won't connect

PS Yes the ports i'm using are 2.0 please, please can anyone out there help.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
MacEachaidh
Browser

G'day grevilleagirl,
That must be really frustrating. I'll see if I can help.

First up: Here are the steps I go through to connect my Story to my computer with Windows XP. Can you check this against what you're doing, and let us know if any of the steps are different?

1) Make sure the PC and Story are both switched on and fully booted up.
2) Attach the USB cable to the PC, and then to the Story. (Mine sort of goes in halfway, and then I have to push a little bit harder and it clicks into place.)
3) On the Story, a screen comes up called "Connect USB with a USB logo, and two options: "Recharge battery" or "Connect removable disk". I use the down arrow to move to the "Connect" option, and hit the Enter key once.
4) The Story screen changes to just the USB logo and the message "Connect USB"
5) On my PC, a dialogue box comes up asking what I want Windows to do with the device. I choose the option "Open folder to view files with Windows Explorer" and click OK.
6) A window opens up on my Windows desktop, showing the files and folders on the Story. I can then add or delete files the same way as on any Windows drive.

Do you go through the same steps on yours? If not, let us know, and that might help work out what's going wrong.

cheers,
Bran

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 10-03-2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Edited to correct the wording in Step 5)
Old 10-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
MacEachaidh
Browser

grevilleagirl, I've had another thought.

I noticed you said you push the Enter key TWICE, and your says it's "Updating Database" and then goes no further. I can't get mine to display that message by hitting the Enter key. With mine, after I've been connected and then disconnect it fro the PC, I get that message, but only very briefly.

If there aren't any new files on there that you can't replace, you could always try re-initialising the device. From the main menu screen, click on the "Menu" button, scroll down to "Settings" and press Enter, then scroll down to the second screen of options and hit Enter on "Initialise". This will put your device back to factory settings.

Does that help at all?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #12
grevilleagirl

What you have described is exactly what I get but nothing shows on the pc,it just doesn't seemto acknowledge the presence of the story. If I hit enter once it waits and then goes straight to library menu, when i hit enter twice it does show the updating database please wait and then goes to the library screen again. Resetting didn't help. Nothing on the pc at all.I don't know what to do.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
samac
Connoisseur

Another off the wall thought. Are you using your story with a SD card. If so remove the card when the story is off and then try re-connecting as per the instructions. This will eliminate a SD card being the potential problem.

samac
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
grevilleagirl

No sd thought about trying one with the hope pc would recognize it even though it doesn't recognize story.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
samac
Connoisseur

Have you access to another computer and usb cable. First try with a different cable, then on an alternate computer that will identify if the problem is with your story, usb cable or computer.

samac