Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
losing line spacing when converting with Calibre

When I first got my reader I downloaded Calibre and batch-converted my library, which consisted mostly of .txt, .lit, and a few word files, to epub. The conversion went smoothly, but when I opened my files I discovered one solid block of text, without any breaks for paragraphs. each book is one massive paragraph. By then it was 2am and I had discovered my device read .txt files just fine, so I shelved the whole thing and forgot about it for awhile.

Now I've got some new .lit files I want to convert. I converted first to pdf, and got a few pages of correctly formatted text, then blank pages. I flipped through about fifteen blank pages and never found the rest of the text. So I re-converted my .lit files to .txt, and and chose the option "insert line breaks" on one of the menus, hoping to fix the problem. Still no good, I have a book-long paragraph.

Am I missing something? I'm not really tech-savvy, I just want a convenient way to read books.
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why not convert the lit file directly to EPUB?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
Stensie4JC
Book Diva

I did in the first batch. Didn't work. Just a big paragraph.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensie4JC View Post
When I first got my reader I downloaded Calibre and batch-converted my library, which consisted mostly of .txt, .lit, and a few word files, to epub. The conversion went smoothly, but when I opened my files I discovered one solid block of text, without any breaks for paragraphs. each book is one massive paragraph. By then it was 2am and I had discovered my device read .txt files just fine, so I shelved the whole thing and forgot about it for awhile.
For text files you have a few things you could try in the text input section. I usually check the Treat each line as a paragraph option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensie4JC View Post
Now I've got some new .lit files I want to convert. I converted first to pdf, and got a few pages of correctly formatted text, then blank pages. I flipped through about fifteen blank pages and never found the rest of the text. So I re-converted my .lit files to .txt, and and chose the option "insert line breaks" on one of the menus, hoping to fix the problem. Still no good, I have a book-long paragraph.
First pdf is not a great format to convert from and should be avoided as any intermediate option.

I often convert lit files to epub and on very rare occasions I end up with a block of text as the output. When I get that as an output I usually trash that file. Most of the time lit files convert to epub beautifully. Lit files are my favorite input file to get an excellent epub. Of course I view the lit file prior to conversion and view the epub after. After all a poorly formatted lit file will still look poor after being converted.

In version 0.6.26 one of the features added I thought corrected your problem.
  • LIT Input: Handle LIT files that are really TXT files. Some poorly created LIT files are really just one big block of text. Now calibre will automatically convert that TXT into paragraphs based on blank lines. This will prevent errors when trying to convert the LIT files to EPUB.
Bottom line is once it is in the format of a solid block of text I don't think you can fix it without manually correcting the file.

As a last resort see if your lit files convert to prc or lrf. If either format is successful then convert that format to epub.

Good Luck

&
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Stensie4JC
Book Diva

Thank you! I will give that a try.
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I would convert it to an editable file and fix it in your word processor. I usually have to do this with text files. Most text files I get have a paragraph mark at the end of each line, not just at the end of a paragraph. So, I replace each set of double paragraph marks to an em dash, then replace each remaining para mark to a space, and finally replace all the em dashes with double para marks.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have this same problem too. When I view the lit file in MS Reader, it looks fine, but conversion makes it one big paragraph. I tried the "treat each line as a paragraph" option, but the result was a non-text-wrapped file that crashed ADE.

Converting to mobi didn't result in a workable epub file, and converting to lrf created an lrf that calibre wouldn't convert at all. (I do have an older version of calibre, so I may have to update it before continuing.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Enable the preprocess option under Structure Detection - there is workaround code in there for this issue.

There is also a fix for this problem that just got checked in, the next release will convert these types of lit files correctly without any special settings.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Either that, a latest version of Calibre, or both, seemed to do the trick.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
macthekitten
Enthusiast
macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS700
I get a goofier result once in a while - it's more like a few lines and then a half sentence followed by a few blank lines, and then a half sentence again... repeat....usually in about 3 or 4 line chunks. Believe me i have to REALLLY want to read that book to continue with it LOL but i have!
macthekitten is offline   Reply With Quote