Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
Question Which is most hackable?

I already have a PRS-500 but I can't hack it the way I want.

I'd like a device that will allow me to easily create applications that transfer data back and forth from PC-device.

Any ideas?
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Really any device that mounts as a storage device (which is most of them). and even if you do that you won't need to hack them.

Of course, calibre already includes code that allows you to manipulate data on the prs-500. It is open source so you could use it to base your app on... as long as it is open source or private. calibre comes with a windows driver it uses to communicate with the PRS-500.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

I should have been more specific with my requirement

Data transfer between PC and any E-ink device is obviously easy - or else we'll be stuck forever trying to upload our ebooks! But, what I want is being able to have full control of the data transfer so I can 1) Grab data automatically from PC and push it onto the device quickly 2) Full control of what is displayed on the device

It seems like iLiad has a strong "hacker" community. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Well it looks like the Nook MAY be the device for you, based on Google's open source Anderoid it probably has the most potential. While other devices may alos be as hackable the Nook will probably arise with the largest fan bas and therefore the largest hacker community. Time will tell.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
quicksilver
dude

The Nook won't do as I'll be cracking open the device right when I get it. I want to hack it, and then I want to change the outer-shell. My project is to be a working prototype for my school project, so I don't want something too expensive!
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
OpenInkPot on a Hanlin V3 may be what you are looking for. It uses SSH via USB as its standard method of communicating with a PC, and the complete firmware if open source and you can add your own applications (no need to patch the firmware, just add the new binaries via SSH).

PocketBook devices are also relatively open to hacking.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
quicksilver
dude

I heard that Openinkpot disables the USB as mass storage device functionality. Does this make it harder to quickly push content to the device?

Thanks for the replies so far guys! It's been really helpful.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I heard that Openinkpot disables the USB as mass storage device functionality. Does this make it harder to quickly push content to the device?
OpenInkPot does not export the filesystems via USB. This means that you can't drag and drop files to/from the device. However applications such as WinSCP allow you to copy files and sync filesystems between the PC and Hanlin. The speed is not great, but that is primarily because of the USB 1.1 hardware on the Hanlin.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
quicksilver
dude

Right, most E-ink devices use low-speed USB 1.1. This is bad news for my project, but since it's only supposed to be a simple prototype I'm sure nobody will mind

How about the iLiad? It seems that you have one. Isn't that the de facto device to hack with?
Old 12-25-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Right, most E-ink devices use low-speed USB 1.1.
Pocketbook has USB 2.0.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
How about the iLiad? It seems that you have one. Isn't that the de facto device to hack with?
There are certainly more 3rd party apps ported to the iLiad than any other device. It can also be setup with a SSH deamon. The way that the iLiad's standard interface interacts with the filesystem is unique, but could be used to advantage if you don't mind being iLiad-specific.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
quicksilver
dude

Thanks for mentioning the Pocketbook. It matches my needs nicely. Although I wish it has a bigger community like the iLiad.

Right now, my top choice is the Pocketbook, followed by the iLiad.

Merry Christmas guys!

Tags
hack, prs 500