Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I tend to follow the rule of minimalism. IE, I only describe the look of the character as far as I feel is necessary to the story, and no more. In many cases they either get no description at all, or a very minimal, one liner. They only get more if the clothing, or their appearance is important to who the character is.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #17
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

I feel a lot better about the lack of physical description in my stories now - thank you!

How do people (readers and authors) feel about a lot of description in a book generally? I tend to get a little bored if it isn't necessary for the story - but I have noticed it seems very popular with judges of literary competitions. Perhaps just personal taste?
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Parker View Post
How do people (readers and authors) feel about a lot of description in a book generally? I tend to get a little bored if it isn't necessary for the story .....
I personally skim through descriptions that I don't think will matter to the story. That's why I hate Dickens..... SOOoooo much description. And when I skip the huge portions of description, I find myself in another city entirely and can't figure out why!

But then -- I have a physics background. I'm used to reading the text book with an eye for the equations -- and nevermind the background of the people involved! I was only once asked in a test, about the person who discovered XYZ rather than how to calculate PQR!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
How do people (readers and authors) feel about a lot of description in a book generally? I tend to get a little bored if it isn't necessary for the story - but I have noticed it seems very popular with judges of literary competitions. Perhaps just personal taste?
Judges don't necessarily look at a book the way a reader does: They often look for certain elements that indicate the author's mastery of their craft, and involved descriptions are one of those elements that they like to use as a meter of quality.

In SF, writers often have to describe things in more detail simply because their settings aren't necessarily familiar to a reader... a naturalist can say "deciduous forest in the spring," and get an image across, but an SF writer has to describe growths that aren't exactly like trees, animals that aren't exactly like birds, colors that aren't typically green, etc.

When those things are needed because appreciating the setting is integral to appreciating the story, I add them. But I try not to be gratuitous about it, or leave the impression that I'm just "filling pages with prose." as a reader, I may go through a few of such descriptions, but if I get the impression they are not integral to appreciating the story, I start to skim past them.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #20
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tend to get a little bored if it isn't necessary for the story...
You hit it right on the head. If it's not important for character development or the story, then it shouldn't be used.
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #21
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

Really interesting points here - and pretty much how I feel about description too. I hadn't thought about the sci-fi aspect though. You really do need to describe your setting, if no-one has ever seen anywhere like it before. It must be quite difficult - a bit like trying to describe the proverbial elephant to someone who hasn't seen one...
Old 11-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Really interesting points here - and pretty much how I feel about description too. I hadn't thought about the sci-fi aspect though. You really do need to describe your setting, if no-one has ever seen anywhere like it before. It must be quite difficult - a bit like trying to describe the proverbial elephant to someone who hasn't seen one...
It depends on what you're describing... it can be quite easy to actually describe (as in, "Much like looking at a typical forest on Earth, but through rose-colored glasses..." description done). Often it's more a matter of just making the reader aware that the setting or object is (significantly) different.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #23
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I find that when I have any doubt about this kind of thing I just fall back on the rule of 3's.

Never use anything more than 3 times. No more than 3 pargraphs of description, no more than 3 distinct characteristics when describing a character, no more than three characters in a scene....etc...etc...

The rule of 3's keeps everything in check
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
It seems to be both a personal taste thing, and a changing trend. Some people LOVE vivid descriptions and beautiful prose. They'll happily gush in reviews about gorgeous, evocative language...

Personally, if the first sentence is 60 words or more long, there's a good chance I'll put the book down in disgust and never buy it. Unless, of course, it's a damn GOOD sentence!

BUT - I've noticed that the younger the reader, the less likely that they'll be a fan of much description. 'Pare it down to the bare essentials' seems a growing preference.

I'm in between. Good, simple description I like, overlong description is skipped.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #25
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I'm on the fence with it as well. How much is too much? Robert Jordan's descriptions were usually too much (a page on a dress?)

I understand the purpose in some of the works, but sometimes it just drags on enough to drive you nuts =)

I prefer a minimalist approach as well. I leave just the bare essentials in. Enough to visualize. I have my own image of "Sarge" but I want other people to have their own view of him. And so forth.

I actually tolerate Jordan's style more than Dan Brown's.

"The twenty-nine year old accounts receivable clerk scratched his blonde scraggily beard and stared with beaded eyes at the white monitor in front of him..." And so forth and so on
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #26
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

"He studied their large, bulging, weevil like appearance..."

That's a great way to do a description. It gets the basics down and leaves the rest to the reader to decide. Or in the case of another character I did, I described him as a cross between a duck and an ostrich dressed in a rainbow of colors, which is all you really needed to know about him since his character and personality did the rest.